Author Topic: Paypal attempt to collect debt of another from me  (Read 159 times)

MyBad

• Valued Member
Paypal attempt to collect debt of another from me
« on: August 01, 2017 12:16:09 AM »
So my paypal (PP) mobile app says I have a notification, it says my account access is limited because they are unable to confirm my identity, and provides a link to "resolve account issues". When I click the link it says go to the website.  I go to the website, and it says, you account is limited as we find your may be associated with "such and such email".  Unless you tell us differently we assume it is true and your account is limited until you resolve the negative balance.

I email them,say, I'm telling you differently, don't know this email, per your instructions, release me account.  They reply with instructions on how to resolve a negative balance. However, I can't resolve the negative balance, as my account is fine, has no balance.

I send them a letter, you have violated the FDCPA, never provided me of any notice of a debt owed, no ability to dispute, validate, no statement, etc. release my account, or be sued.  Obviously, they have not released the account, so were gonna dance.

Any else have a situation like this?  When you call and talk to them, they ask a million questions, but are short on answers, each person you talk to give you another lie. They seem to be waiting for me to say the email is mine and simply stall, and give me the run around about why it was limited in the first place, and won't say why they felt the two account the same person.

While I'm sure the Paypal agreement gives them all kinds of right to look into accounts...I'm certain you can't sign your rights away, especially when its not my account.

Looking for some feedback...anyone sue and win...

thanks in advance

Clydesmom66

• Valued Member
Re: Paypal attempt to collect debt of another from me
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017 01:05:47 AM »
I send them a letter, you have violated the FDCPA, never provided me of any notice of a debt owed, no ability to dispute, validate, no statement, etc. release my account, or be sued.  Obviously, they have not released the account, so were gonna dance.

Ummm NO they did not violate the FDCPA.  They are an original creditor and the FDCPA does not apply to them.

Unfortunately your rights and responsibilities is laid out in their cumbersome TOS.  Good luck with that.
Be VERY careful following advice from the internet! What worked for someone with thousands of posts on a message board may not work for YOU in your state.  Consult a lawyer when ever possible.

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017 01:33:21 AM »
To resolve this you are going to have to get into a conversation with one of the CSRs.  Just make sure you take copious notes and write-up a quick memo memorializing the conversation.

PayPal is not that difficult to deal with if you are proactive in trying to get the thing resolved.

Moonshine Maker

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017 03:29:46 AM »
There are several scams going around. I would not use the links but instead so on my on to paypal.. You may not even know.
I got something similar from paypal and on't even use them. 

MyBad

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017 04:20:42 AM »

No scam, definately them...and CSR folks useless like I said, asking questions but not giving answers.

Clydesmom66 they maybe OC for person they want, but its not me..there is no debt owed my me....my account is paid in full...

So perhaps more criminal then civil...extortion...fraud...

Clydesmom66

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017 05:51:08 AM »
Clydesmom66 they maybe OC for person they want, but its not me..there is no debt owed my me....my account is paid in full...

They are NOT a third party collection agent no matter how you try to spin it.  You have a primary relationship with them that makes them an OC even if they are making an error in your account.

So perhaps more criminal then civil...extortion...fraud...

Not even close but if it was you have ZERO authority as an individual to bring criminal action.  ALL you can do is report it to the cops and hope they pursue it.  Unless there is absolute proof their intent all along is to extort money or defraud you then you are out of luck.  Incompetence does not equal criminal. 

Be VERY careful following advice from the internet! What worked for someone with thousands of posts on a message board may not work for YOU in your state.  Consult a lawyer when ever possible.

Bruno the JDB Killer

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017 12:27:33 PM »
I would contact the email provider and see if I could find out who it belongs to. Or at the very least suggest to Paypal that they do it.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

credit