Author Topic: What Can a Skip Tracer Accompish?  (Read 11785 times)

BubbaGump

• Valued Member
What Can a Skip Tracer Accompish?
« on: November 16, 2007 09:20:00 PM »
Not sure if I would be better off posting a separate thread about this, but here goes. Please let me know if I need to create a separate thread, please.

I have more than a few outstanding debts I cannot afford to pay. Most have been written off by the OC's, but not purchased by CA's yet. I am considering a BK, but have not yet met with an advisor, nor an attorney. I am moving to another state for other reasons, but I will likely be forced to get a driver's license in the new state.

The question: Does the skip tracer have the ability to search each state's driver's license database or the national registry, to find my new driver's license, and therefore find me from the state DL agency? The national registry appears to be based on SSN's, at least as the primary method of referencing and indexing a state driver's license.

Let us assume I am not going to give my new license number to anyone likely to place it on any of my credit reports, so the skip tracer will not get it from the reports.

Rottweiler

• "SIT!" "Stay!" "Watch OUT!"
  • Valued Member
  • Talent does what it can; genius does what it must
    • Debtor Talk:  "Tough Love" for the Collection Industry.
What Can a Skip Tracer Accompish?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007 10:45:35 PM »
Depends on how much time and money the CA wants to spend to find you. 

Most CA's do the "quick and dirty"--such as pull credit reports--because "time is money" AND the databases which might get the information are expensive to use.  As to whether they could simply call Motor Vehicles and get the information?  They might not succeed here due to privacy laws, but it's a possibility; check the law for the state you are moving to.
“This is a court of law, young man, not a court of justice."
~ Olver Wendell Holmes

BubbaGump

• Valued Member
Re: What Can a Skip Tracer Accompish?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007 12:32:06 PM »
Thanks, Rottweiler. I am simply not sure how to check the statutes here. It is rather difficult to find the information with the driver's license agency, so I do not know the exact sections of the new state's laws to check online. Part of the difficulty is asking the question within the new state: by asking this question, the " wrong " red flags would go up with the person I am asking.

CreditFighter

• Valued Member
  • Whacking the heads off CA's. børk børk børk
    • WNY Judgment Recovery, Inc
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007 12:45:16 PM »
I can search SOME state's DL databases...
If you really don't want to be found, don't apply for anything, don't update your new address with your current creditors, and live in a cave (even apartments pull your credit sometimes).
CA's that have settled:  7
Settlement funds received (FDCPA):  $8500.00  (TCPA):  $9500.00
Negative TL's removed:  4
Amount of money paid on my alleged debts by CA's: $7324.00
Intent to Sue letters currently outstanding: 0
Cleaning my credit at the expense of dirty, violating CA's:  Priceless

BubbaGump

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007 02:10:53 PM »
I am not applying for new credit at the new address, I have kept my old driver's license until I know it is " safe " to get a new one. I believe I understand the range of ways a CRA gets my contact information except:

I do not know if a state's DL registry, or the national registry (based on SSN, I think) is searchable online. Anyone?

CreditFighter

• Valued Member
  • Whacking the heads off CA's. børk børk børk
    • WNY Judgment Recovery, Inc
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007 02:50:46 PM »
It depends on the state...  I have access to some of them, some I do not.
CA's that have settled:  7
Settlement funds received (FDCPA):  $8500.00  (TCPA):  $9500.00
Negative TL's removed:  4
Amount of money paid on my alleged debts by CA's: $7324.00
Intent to Sue letters currently outstanding: 0
Cleaning my credit at the expense of dirty, violating CA's:  Priceless

Kitten

• Valued Member
    • MCSD
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007 03:16:29 PM »
You will find it difficult to impossible to get a new DL without surrendering the old one.
I do not know if it will end up in state1's database as 'transfered to state2 DL#xxx', but if it does, a records search in your original state will lead them straight to you.

BubbaGump

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007 03:39:14 PM »
You will find it difficult to impossible to get a new DL without surrendering the old one.
I do not know if it will end up in state1's database as 'transfered to state2 DL#xxx', but if it does, a records search in your original state will lead them straight to you.

I do not expect to keep the old DL AND get a new one. The very reason I am asking this question is because I will give up the old license with the old state information, which might cause a red flag if an OC or CA has ready access to the national registry, or has a form of electronic alert. So yes, I understand I no longer will have physical possession of the old DL if I get a new DL in state 2.

Yes, I understand that IF the national registry or state 1's database says " transferred to state 2 ", that would indicate a transfer. What I don't know is whether this would be indicated in any national online registry.

maylaur

• Valued Member
  • I donated!!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008 01:11:36 AM »
Would it be out of the question to call the local licensing place and ask what gets posted on the online registry?
Anything I post is from my own personal experience, and might not apply to your own situation. 
I do not offer legal advice; for that, please consult a lawyer.

Pablo

• Valued Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008 05:03:31 AM »
Yes, you are right they will find you especially if you have debts to pay.  They can get access to numbers of your relatives/friends so they could possibly tell your number/address.  The only way I would imagine of getting out of it would be to pay or file bankruptcy.  Yes you should try to pay your debts back little by little, how about borrowing the money or making some small payments?  It just doesn't go away or perhaps you could file bankruptcy so they go away as well.
"Another day, another life / To feed with all that I call mine / Is what it takes, so I go out tonight / Shining lights of crossing cars / An open sky, a million stars / They open up my eyes and this is just because / I feel, I feel so alive"  ~ "Feel Alive" - ATB

wesaidso

• Suspended
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008 06:15:38 AM »
Say roxcyn are  you related to Christopher Hansworth ?
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

Pablo

• Valued Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008 06:34:46 AM »
Say roxcyn are  you related to Christopher Hansworth ?

Who is that?  Let me search for his name because I'm not familiar with that name.....
It looks like that person is associate with a debt collector, is that correct? 

Actually I must say that I'm not a collector and I'm not affiliated with Christopher Hansworth (first time I am hearing his name).  I was just trying to reply honestly, and that is that the only way to make the bill "go away" is paying it off (payment arrangement, settlement, etc) or to include it in bankruptcy....I came here because I have an interest in learning more about debt collections & fraudulent issues about accounts.  So you could say I'm a concerned citizen, and what brings you on to these boards wesaidso?  :D
"Another day, another life / To feed with all that I call mine / Is what it takes, so I go out tonight / Shining lights of crossing cars / An open sky, a million stars / They open up my eyes and this is just because / I feel, I feel so alive"  ~ "Feel Alive" - ATB

wesaidso

• Suspended
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008 08:01:40 AM »
Who is that?  Let me search for his name because I'm not familiar with that name.....
It looks like that person is associate with a debt collector, is that correct? 

Actually I must say that I'm not a collector and I'm not affiliated with Christopher Hansworth (first time I am hearing his name).  I was just trying to reply honestly, and that is that the only way to make the bill "go away" is paying it off (payment arrangement, settlement, etc) or to include it in bankruptcy....I came here because I have an interest in learning more about debt collections & fraudulent issues about accounts.  So you could say I'm a concerned citizen, and what brings you on to these boards wesaidso?  :D

Sorry thought you might be related to Christopher.
I  to come  here to LEARN this is why i don't make many comments unless its a problem
that i have had or i am well versed with the subject matter.
Sad to say most of it is all new to  me..... ::)
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

DefLepGirl

• Y-E-A-H!
  • Valued Member
    • :0)
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008 03:28:01 PM »
Yes, you are right they will find you especially if you have debts to pay.  They can get access to numbers of your relatives/friends so they could possibly tell your number/address.  The only way I would imagine of getting out of it would be to pay or file bankruptcy.  Yes you should try to pay your debts back little by little, how about borrowing the money or making some small payments?  It just doesn't go away or perhaps you could file bankruptcy so they go away as well.

So they get your address? 

Roxcyn.......

If folks were to follow your logic on this one (IE) pay "your" debts back little by little, borrowing the money, or filing BK they could easily be screwing themselves.

As with anything there is a process........ The same goes with Debt Collection.......

Is this "debt" past SOL   (if) so by making a payment on it you could renew the SOL 

Is this "debt" valid?   Can the collection agency / jdb provide you with documents that actually prove that you owe this debt and they have the right to collect it.....

Has the collection agency muddied up your CR's with FCRA violations

Has the collection agency followed the FDCPA and all State consumer protection laws while attempting to collect?

And the list goes on and on........

If you enjoy kool-aid and blindly following "instructions" without reason or proof then by all means do as you said......

However if a consumer is interested in fighting for their rights then there are steps they can take .........
~I'm not an attorney (nor) do I play one on the internet.. Take everything I *write* as just my personal opinion and experience~

I love quoting Fleppie / Deflepgirl -  E. Normis  (Ok he actually didn't say it but actions speak louder than words..... or in this case words speak louder oooh whatever he loves it!-

TeeVeeDude

• Valued Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008 03:29:57 PM »
I  to come  here to LEARN this is why i don't make many comments unless its a problem
that i have had or i am well versed with the subject matter.

That's wise of you. Too bad some people feel the need to comment on every thread the first day they show up. (Not that I want to mention any names here (cough)<name redacted as a TOS violation>(cough))
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008 03:36:05 PM by Flyingifr »

credit