Author Topic: Missed calls a violation?  (Read 870 times)

howucantoo

• Valued Member
Re: Missed calls a violation?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014 12:20:21 AM »
Get a Pacer account or if you have one read the TCPA cases filed in your district. Specially class action ones and use those complaints as example on how plaintiff's attorneys describe auto-dialers.

And you don't have to be in TX for example to show FH uses auto-dialer and if he uses it in one state he uses it in all  ;)
I am not an attorney, just  type" A" personality.
If you need legal help, you should seek legal counsel.

TrooperNTraining

• Valued Member
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014 01:58:09 AM »
See, now,...that's why you collect the BIG bucks! :)

For what it's worth, here's an alphabetical list of others:
https://www.puc.texas.gov/industry/communications/directories/adad/alpha_adad.aspx

Thanks and I'm wondering if any other states regulate these devices.  (Haven't found my OC in the TX list...)

Panic is NOT an option.  Neither is hubris.  (Unless, of course, you're a veteran DB member like TrueQ.  In THAT case we'll call it CONFIDENCE, not hubris) :)

Brunothe JDBKiller

• Valued Member
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014 01:54:28 PM »
Quite a few states have TCPA mirror statutes. Some, like my state, (CT) have more severe penalties.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

Weary Traveler

• Valued Member
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014 10:33:54 AM »
Good thinking, especially those who live in Texas!

Unfortunately, my state doesn't regulate these systems. :(

Thinking that case law might expose some resources, or at least provide examples about "how they drug ithis info out of 'em." :)

Anyone?

Thanks again!

A lot of the information needed to support a TCPA case can be propounded in Discovery.  Be prepared, however, for the Defendant to Object tooth and nail on admissions and interrogatories.  I've seen them object on the basis that revealing the information would "violate a trade secret."  (yeah, right).  It is possible to get them to admit that they have ATDS equipment, however, they will swear 7 different ways from Sunday that they didn't use it without actually providing information to support that statement.

They will say that they called your number manually.

Be sure to delve into what their definition of "manually" is as well.  To most of us a manually dialed call is one where you pick up a phone and press buttons.  To these people that means, going to a specific screen, viewing the person's name, and clicking a button. 

Argue against statements like that because having to go to a specific screen where ATDS doesn't occur, does not mean that the SYSTEM does have the capacity to auto-dial. 

They can't boast highly integrated systems on one hand, and downplay the capacity of a singular application in it, that doesn't have the capacity to do so.   Well, they can do it and they will, but there is case law that supports the Plaintiff's position.

Meyer v. Portfolio Recovery Associates
Satterfield v. Simon & Schuster, Inc
Allan Donnelly, and others similarly situated vs NCO Financial

These are all good reads, in my humble opinion.   In Donnelly, they reference NCO's Mercury Predictive Dialers.   A quick look on the manufacturer's website states:

The MPD is integrated as part of the Collection Resource system. Collectors use the same screens for predictive dialing as for manually placed calls; there are no separate screens, so learning to use this dialer is only a matter of remembering a few keystrokes. And the MPD works with existing phone and computer systems, so that you have the ability to locate your agents at any remote location where there's a phone and a computer. Collectors can even use the Mercury Dialer to work from home.

That statement along, quickly proves one merit of the TCPA case on the capacity matter should the offending agency be using Mercury Dialers.

TrooperNTraining

• Valued Member
« Reply #34 on: Today at 01:28:16 AM »
Thanks so very, very, very much for all of this information!

You all are just great! :)
Panic is NOT an option.  Neither is hubris.  (Unless, of course, you're a veteran DB member like TrueQ.  In THAT case we'll call it CONFIDENCE, not hubris) :)

credit