Author Topic: Mortgage spam texts  (Read 88 times)

Vincent_Vega

• Valued Member
Mortgage spam texts
« on: July 18, 2016 04:40:51 PM »
I applied for a mortgage from a shady broker a year ago (wound up getting the mortgage from a far more reputable broker).

Have received two spam text messages along the lines of 'rates are at their lowest in years...reply with "get quote" for more info'.  The first text states that as a former applicant of the shady mortgage company, they have my info to provide a quote.

-Should I reply to the text to (hopefully) ascertain the identity of the company that is sending the spam texts?

-Is there any derivative TCPA liability on the part of the original shady mortgage broker?  I do not have a land-line, and did provide my cell phone number in my application.

Of course, I realize the importance of accumulating significantly more than two texts.  That said, I did get a nice settlement from a CA over 6-7 phone calls several years ago.
Amount collected from debt collectors:  $4,700

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
Re: Mortgage spam texts
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016 04:56:02 PM »
Until you revoke the permission to call your cell, they can continue to send messages.  The TCPA gives them the protection.

I would be sending a formal revocation so that I can have the legal footing to make a case.

Vincent_Vega

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016 05:13:28 PM »
Are you referring to the original mortgage company, or whomever it is that is sending the spam-texts?

I'm assuming the original mortgage co. sold my information to some even more shady broker.  However, I have no idea who that would be...hence the question about whether to hit 'reply' to obtain their information.
Amount collected from debt collectors:  $4,700

Bruno the JDB Killer

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016 05:32:12 PM »
and did provide my cell phone number in my application.

That constitutes permission to call. Revoke it. If they call or text again after that, you have a case.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

howucantoo

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016 05:43:29 PM »
I'd text back: "STOP ALL TEXTS AND CALLS".

This will be revoking consent  (save the text message or take a picture of it in case it gets deleted).

They must stop after receiving your text.

I revoked a few consents to text or call this way . One text was from an anesthesiologist who I was his patient, they wanted me to fill out a survey .
I am not an attorney, just  type" A" personality.
If you need legal help, you should seek legal counsel.
My PM is turned off.

credit