Author Topic: Uncertain where to post this...Judgement from 2009  (Read 107 times)

relomary

• Valued Member
Uncertain where to post this...Judgement from 2009
« on: May 23, 2015 06:26:01 PM »
Please forgive me if this is the incorrect location to post this.  I am new.

Short story: 

I opened a business in 2003.  Started to do well immediately.  Made a mistake in hiring the wrong people.  Started losing money and had to go back to private industry.  Kept the business "hoping" things would turn around.  Left the business in 2006 or so...

Found out in 2012 there was a tax lien i had (somehow my address was changed at the post office), I took care of the tax lien.  It had started out as a 4,000 dollar tax bill, when I didn't receive it, it 2006 or so, it grew to close to 12k or thereabouts.  I took out a loan from my credit union, paid it off. 

I'm now selling my home.  I got an offer.  Found out that they never lifted the tax lien.  I'm in process now of getting the paperwork on this cleared up.

HOWEVER, I just found out there is ANOTHER "judgement" lien on the title - it's from "First Resolution Investment Corporation" and the original amount was around 8k.  The abstract of judgement says with all the fees and all, it's now almost 14k. 

I'm really at my wits end.  I found out yesterday.  I am supposed to close on this home sale around June 15th (i think that won't happen though).  I do have the "Hyatt legal service" through my job, and plan on calling them on Tuesday to get some help.

The business almost killed me.  It certainly wiped out my finances, and did a number on my health physically and emotionally.  If someone can shed some light on perhaps what I'm looking at to get this resolved, I'd be very grateful.

I don't want to run out on doing the right thing, but I can't pay 13k. 

Advice, suggestions, or even words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

relo.

Brunothe JDBKiller

• Valued Member
Re: Uncertain where to post this...Judgement from 2009
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015 06:38:52 PM »
First Resolution Investment Corporation was purchased by Unifund, a notorious junk debt buyer. Perhaps your payment did not get credited and the debt got sold. Your attorney should be able to fix this.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

relomary

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015 06:49:46 PM »
To be honest, I don't know.  My life at the time all this was happening was crazy.  I did try to settle with a few creditors.  I investigated bankruptcy.  I don't know what  'junk" debt buyer is..why are they notorious?  I may or may not have paid it off.  I was working a regular job, around 8-9 hours a day, then the rest of the day and weekends at the retail shop I owned.  I was not in good shape; honestly, have a lot of shame about that time in my life.  You know, all the 'should haves" and stuff.

Brunothe JDBKiller

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015 08:21:39 PM »
If you use this legal source, they will investigate this and see what happened. Junk debt buyers are companies that purchase defaulted debts for 3 cents on the dollar. Maybe this is what happened. We have no way to know, you have to get over this and do some investigation to see what happened.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

relomary

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015 08:41:43 PM »
Yes, I'm definitely going to do the research and get it resolved.  I was just looking to see if anyone had been through similar. What legal resource?  I thought this was a board...

Brunothe JDBKiller

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015 09:19:39 PM »
YOUR legal resource.  "Hyatt legal service" Don't make this any harder for us than it is for you. If you have a law firm behind you, they should be able to handle this with no problem. My bet is they won't be able to.

relomary

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015 09:47:16 PM »
Ah, I see what you meant.  Sorry, was juggling though papers and other items.  I see now what you meant.  Your bet "now is they won't be able to"?  Really?  If I can find some money to be able to start making some kind of arrangement with them, I sincerely hope I can work things out with them.  I mean, really? I want to take care of it.

kevinmanheim

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015 12:44:06 AM »
You will not be able to close on the sale with an outstanding judgment filed against you, unless it is paid off as part of the sale.

Talk with your attorney and see if you can negotiate a settlement of the judgment.

The judgment creditor is unlikely to settle for a discount if they are aware you are selling your home. They will demand payment in full, and the real estate closing attorney will be required to pay them from the funds from the sale.

relomary

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015 02:59:41 PM »
Thank you for your answer.  I appreciate the information.