Author Topic: Verizon sent me 3x credit balance bill, and then to collections  (Read 627 times)

BrokeBob

• Valued Member
Re: Verizon sent me 3x credit balance bill, and then to collections
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017 08:39:13 PM »
Here is an important question. 

Are they reporting this to the CRAs?

If not, just dispute the debt.

somags

• Valued Member
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017 08:47:39 PM »
Not yet.  There is no difference to disputing and validating the debt, correct?

I'll be sending my certified letter today.

BrokeBob

• Valued Member
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017 08:57:33 PM »
Those are different. 

A dispute is to say you believe the debt is not real.

A validation demand is a demand within 30 days that they validate the debt.

You can do one without the other, but in your case it might be wise to do both. 

As far as taking Verizon to arbitration, you may not have a case against them yet, since they are not reporting it.  However, from my experience, at some point they may sell the account with a false amount to a JDB, which will then report the false amount, and then Verizon will simply claim it's not their account anymore and not their problem.  At which point it might be wise to take them to AAA. 

somags

• Valued Member
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017 09:04:29 PM »
The debt has also been sent to IC System, which I believe is a JDB.   I'll do both.

I really just don't want my credit to be negatively impacted, which is my primary concern.  Any restitution is a bonus.

Clydesmom66

• Valued Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017 01:08:16 AM »
The debt has also been sent to IC System, which I believe is a JDB.   I'll do both.

IC Systems is a collection agency NOT a junk debt buyer.  They are easily defeated.  I know I successfully sued them under the TCPA.
Be VERY careful following advice from the internet! What worked for someone with thousands of posts on a message board may not work for YOU in your state.  Consult a lawyer when ever possible.

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017 02:33:47 AM »
IC Systems, if they chose to respond to your DV, is going to say "we've checked, you owe, here's the info".  You're going to get nothing more because no law anywhere requires them to do otherwise.

And, they are probably going to kick it back to Verizon.

I would suggest that you get on the phone with and talk this through to resolution...and don't settle for the phone drone that answers your first call.  You'll have to get it to a person who has some authority.  Alternatively, you can take it to the lead Verizon retail outlet in your area, the one that has the techs that do the quickie repairs...

Just remember to take all the paper that shows the credit balance with you.

fisthardcheese

• Valued Member
  • They forced arbitration into your contract. Use it
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017 10:29:32 AM »
As far as taking Verizon to arbitration, you may not have a case against them yet, since they are not reporting it.  However, from my experience, at some point they may sell the account with a false amount to a JDB, which will then report the false amount, and then Verizon will simply claim it's not their account anymore and not their problem.  At which point it might be wise to take them to AAA.

"A case" in arbitration is "any dispute".  In Op's case, they sent a statement showing they owed him a credit, then turned over the account to a collector saying he owes them money.  This is more than enough of a dispute to go to arbitration.

I would have filed in AAA immediately and been done with this by now.
11 Arb Settlements (9 AAA, 2 JAMS)
3 JDB Suits Dismissed With Prejudice (2 pro-se, 1 consumer atty)
3 TCPA Settlements (2 pro-se, 1 consumer atty)
2 FCRA Settlements (consumer atty)
1 FDCPA Settlement (w consumer atty)
1 Small Claims Win (pro-se; Landlord/state consumer law violations)
1 State UDAP Settlement (ITS)
1 Federal PTC Settlement (before hearing; pro-se)

somags

• Valued Member
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017 02:01:55 AM »
I wound up sending a certified letter to IC Systems asking to verify the debt, and a notice of arbitration to Verizon per the contract.

I did not speak with the woman who worked my case, but put very clearly what I wanted in the notice.

Got a voicemail a few days ago saying the "debt" is forgiven, it was a billing error on their end, and they are removing it from collections.

I got a letter from IC Systems today saying that Verizon recalled the debt.

Thanks to all who were helpful, it won't hit my credit report and I have a little experience dealing with collection agencies.  Here's hoping I don't have to deal with this again.

credit