Author Topic: What is FIA  (Read 593 times)

jreed

• Valued Member
What is FIA
« on: May 07, 2013 02:43:14 PM »
FIA card services deals with a lot of banks.  BoA seems to be a big one, but on some local banks cards I see FIA listed as well.

Clearly if you open a card with BoA, they are the OC.  But what role does FIA play in all that?  Are they just the 'calculator' behind the scenes? I know they are the credit card arm of BoA, but would they be the OC, the CA?

I ask because in my case I got confusing statements from a JDB on two accounts.  In their validation they sent me statements from two OC's.  They are supposedly collecting for only one of the OC's. 

The judge specifically sited FIA and their mailing address...she missed the completely different OC's. 

If you look at my posts and the type of questions I've been asking, you'll quickly come to the conclusion that you shouldn't listen to anything I say.

freedy

• Valued Member
Re: What is FIA
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013 03:04:19 PM »
It's very simple . FIA is owned by BOA . They are one and the same.

So , in my experience I have had letters come to me on collections from both
FIA/Boa , one and the same.

FIA was acquired by BOA years ago.

jreed

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013 03:42:04 PM »
FIA also works with other banks.

Lets say I have 2 accounts, one with BoA, and one with "Bank B".  Both use FIA. 

Are the OC's BoA and "Bank B" or is the OC FIA for both accounts?
If you look at my posts and the type of questions I've been asking, you'll quickly come to the conclusion that you shouldn't listen to anything I say.

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013 05:04:13 PM »
What is the name of the other bank?

altony

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013 05:43:10 PM »
FIA also works with other banks.

The only Bank that owns FIA is Boa. The issue different credit cards such as VISA. MASTERCARD etc. but from what i can see its owned by BOA.

If somone has two cards with FIA and they are charged off probably they are purchased by diferent JDB's.

jreed

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013 01:47:32 PM »
I'd rather not say the name of the other bank because we're in litigation.

It's just interesting because I had accounts with BoA and an account with Bank xyz.  The JDB claims to be collecting on behalf of BoA, but the account number is for Bank xyz.  The statments they sent are also for Bank xyz.

The letter they sent me, including the validation, does not specifically list the original credit card account number.  Instead it lists the account # they gave it, and they included three sample statements.  Two statements from Bank xyz, and one statement from BoA.  The two accounts clearly had two different account numbers.  In reality they both should have different balances, however the statements all match, to the penny.

In my mind, both accounts are from different Original Creditors.  Both however are run through FIA.  I'm actually confused by that.  In my mind, the two banks are the OC's.  That is who my agreements were with and FIA was the servicer.  But I'm not super confident on that.
I just wasn't sure if anyone else had run into that situation.

silverzgirl

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013 02:46:57 PM »
FIA is BOA. FIA came about when BOA bought out MBNA.

If your XYZ is using FIA, it was probably also merged or bought by BOA.
“Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.”  - Sun-Tzu

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. I once thought I was a lawyer when I was litigating in a courtroom, but turns out I just had Patron induced bed spins and dreamed it all. Take my posts with a grain of salt...and a shot of Patron. But not so much you think you are a lawyer.

kdog

• Suspended
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013 04:18:27 PM »
The Pasadena (CA) Call Center answers their phones as "FIA Card Services".

It makes sense if they "issue and administer" the BOA account.

jreed

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013 05:27:37 PM »
FIA is BOA. FIA came about when BOA bought out MBNA.

If your XYZ is using FIA, it was probably also merged or bought by BOA.

I would think that too...but bank xyz is still operating and from all my searches, there has never been a merger/purchase.

I'm assuming they can rent FIA's services in terms of running card operations.  From what I can see on their current website they no longer issue credit cards at all.

silverzgirl

• Valued Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013 07:27:00 PM »
If bank XYZ was part of MBNA somehow, this is where FIA was spawned.

“Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.”  - Sun-Tzu

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. I once thought I was a lawyer when I was litigating in a courtroom, but turns out I just had Patron induced bed spins and dreamed it all. Take my posts with a grain of salt...and a shot of Patron. But not so much you think you are a lawyer.