Author Topic: It's been 5 years so far..  (Read 1850 times)

Ava217

• Valued Member
It's been 5 years so far..
« on: February 09, 2013 03:46:43 PM »
I owed about $38,000.  The long and the short of it is that I lost my job and could not pay the debt.  For the past 5 years I have lived without an address, without mail, making cash and with no credit cards.  I still have a bank account with only about $100 in it.  I still have a cell phone.  The creditors have quit calling me and it's about a year (maybe more) since I have had a call from a creditor.  The statute of limitations where I live is 6 years.  Here's the question:  I want to move to another state (the SOL is still 6 years) and I might have to get a "real" job.  What are the chances that that my creditors will be able to find me?  I still plan on having no address, no mail, no landline but I know if I get a real job that my SS # will be out there again.  Will they be able to find me through my SS#?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Just Plain Bill

• Valued Member
Re: It's been 5 years so far..
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013 05:54:15 PM »
The collections industry uses skip tracers to locate people who owe them money.
I Donated

Admin3496

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013 06:01:02 PM »
I owed about $38,000.  The long and the short of it is that I lost my job and could not pay the debt.  For the past 5 years I have lived without an address, without mail, making cash and with no credit cards.  I still have a bank account with only about $100 in it.  I still have a cell phone.  The creditors have quit calling me and it's about a year (maybe more) since I have had a call from a creditor.  The statute of limitations where I live is 6 years.  Here's the question:  I want to move to another state (the SOL is still 6 years) and I might have to get a "real" job.  What are the chances that that my creditors will be able to find me?  I still plan on having no address, no mail, no landline but I know if I get a real job that my SS # will be out there again.  Will they be able to find me through my SS#?

It is requested that, when posting, one use basic writing skills. This includes paragraphs when appropriate.

If you have any questions, pm Admin for assistance.

Ava217

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013 06:18:44 PM »
The collections industry uses skip tracers to locate people who owe them money.

It's been 5 years and they haven't found me so far.  I am just worried that if I take a "real" job that somehow they might find me.

Ava217

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013 06:20:18 PM »
What I would like to know is HOW they find you using your SS#.  I mean, is there some kind of software that they use or what?  Also, is it possible to tell if the debt has been written off by looking at your credit report?

innocentme

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013 06:35:09 PM »
What I would like to know is HOW they find you using your SS#.  I mean, is there some kind of software that they use or what?  Also, is it possible to tell if the debt has been written off by looking at your credit report?

They have a lot of resources to find you.  There are businesses, and software specifically designed just to do so.

You can tell if it has been written off, but that doesn't tell you if they will pursue you for it or not.
I am not an attorney.  I just love to know my rights, and to defend them at all costs.  Even if that means going on the offensive.  I'm always nice, until I'm not.

Ava217

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013 06:48:07 PM »
If one of them contacts me can I use the validate the debt tactic to stall them?

GRINGO

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013 06:50:14 PM »
If you can, keep doing what you have been doing until past SOL. Any job that ask for SS # will cause the creditors to find you.

Years ago I had  a small yard business where I only accepted cash. Of course this was while I was going to college and was pushing a lawn mower up to a 2 mile radius to make a couple of bucks.(couldn't afford a car)
If you think I am an attorney, you are quite mistaken. If you are looking for legal advice check the  yellow pages!

Ava217

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013 06:57:27 PM »
I can't keep doing what I was doing because the "job" is ending.  But, I will try and get something off the books or I am considering moving to a 5 year SOL state so I will be done.

howucantoo

• Valued Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013 08:27:25 PM »
It will be a year until residency is establish in most states. (unless you move to WI).

Have you checked credit reports at all? I would, just to see who owns what.

Being old some of these alleged accounts may have changed hands making it much easier to deal with.
I am not an attorney, just  type" A" personality.
If you need legal help, you should seek legal counsel.

Ava217

• Valued Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013 08:42:49 PM »
No I haven't..what exactly would I be looking for?

WinningTheBattle2010

• Valued Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013 09:31:08 PM »
Look for any judgements against you on your CR's
I DONATE , do you?
I am not a lawyer, any/all information on my answers should be considered my thoughts only, Not Legal Advice.

howucantoo

• Valued Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013 10:41:02 PM »
No I haven't..what exactly would I be looking for?

You are looking for account charged off/ sold /transferred to another lender (this means account is bought by Junk debt buyer).

Then look at the credit pulls see who had reviewed the account, usually collector or law firms pull (soft or hard doesn't matter).

I would put a freeze on my credit to send a signal to others that my reports are "off limits" to ones who want to peek. (creditors and JDBs can review reports but it eliminates the frequency). Although, I know of one who just won't stop !

For hard copies Credit bureaus usually mail to the mailing address provided by you so if you give a new one that address will show up next time on all reports. Same for phone number.

I would also opt out of all credit offers for the next five years so none will use my information for advertisement or sell to third party (credit card or mortgage companies).

I am not an attorney, just  type" A" personality.
If you need legal help, you should seek legal counsel.

credit_h

• Valued Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013 12:31:25 AM »

Do you mean you lived in an RV or something like that? They probably sent letters to the address you lived at previously. Definitely check your credit report to see if they got any default judgment on you already or not. You could keep doing what you are doing now, you might wake them up if there are new activity on your credit report.

Ava217

• Valued Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013 03:15:05 AM »
I have worked as a live-in companion to an elderly gentleman.  I had free rent, free utilities and was paid a weekly cash allowance.  No one knows where I live.  But, this position will end in about a month and unless I can get another situation like this I will have to get a real job.