Author Topic: Removing Judgement From Public Record  (Read 1518 times)

jackdan05

• Valued Member
Removing Judgement From Public Record
« on: October 18, 2012 07:01:20 PM »
So I have an very beginner issue and I hope this is the right forum to start this in. I searched to no avail for an answer already.

Due to being young, unexperienced, and in college, I racked up some credit card debt. The debt eventually went into collections and then into judgement.

I have already paid the amount $1185 in settlement during 2010. Under credit items on my report it reflects this in the status. (From what I understand now, I should have filed to vacate the judgement before I paid the settlement).

Is there any way to remove the judgement now? Can I still request for it to be vacated. Is it possible to remove the account from my credit items as well.

Basically, I'm asking what is the most thorough way of removing this from my credit report.

cprems

• Valued Member
Re: Removing Judgement From Public Record
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012 12:38:30 AM »
Were you served?

What State are you in?

If this is paid - you may be able to get a stipulation from the judgment holder to vacate the judgment. Don't hold your breath though.
ALL my postings have NO legal value.

I AM the "village idiot" please hold my posts to this standard.

If you need legal Counsel - contact an Attorney.

KFMAN

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012 02:31:45 PM »
So I have an very beginner issue and I hope this is the right forum to start this in. I searched to no avail for an answer already.

Due to being young, unexperienced, and in college, I racked up some credit card debt. The debt eventually went into collections and then into judgement.

I have already paid the amount $1185 in settlement during 2010. Under credit items on my report it reflects this in the status. (From what I understand now, I should have filed to vacate the judgement before I paid the settlement).

Is there any way to remove the judgement now? Can I still request for it to be vacated. Is it possible to remove the account from my credit items as well.

Basically, I'm asking what is the most thorough way of removing this from my credit report.
You could ask the people you settled with to vacate it, but you should do that before you pay it.  It still wouldn 't hurt to ask.

TampaConsumerLawyer

• Valued Member
    • TampaConsumerLawyer
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012 10:12:49 PM »
You need to get a "Satisfaction of Judgment" from the party to whom you paid the judgment, and then (and this is VERY important), have the Satisfaction of Judgment recorded.  It sends the message:  "Yes, I had a judgment against me, but I am a good citizen and I satisfied that judgment."

In other words, you really do pay your debts (even if your creditor had to chase you a bit.....that's OK, they need the exercise).  Frankly, I think you should be proud of yourself, as many judgments go unpaid forever.  Good luck to you!
"It ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can GET hit....and keep moving forward"   Rocky Balboa

KFMAN

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012 04:10:27 AM »
You need to get a "Satisfaction of Judgment" from the party to whom you paid the judgment, and then (and this is VERY important), have the Satisfaction of Judgment recorded.  It sends the message:  "Yes, I had a judgment against me, but I am a good citizen and I satisfied that judgment."

In other words, you really do pay your debts (even if your creditor had to chase you a bit.....that's OK, they need the exercise).  Frankly, I think you should be proud of yourself, as many judgments go unpaid forever.  Good luck to you!
Vacated judgment is like it never happened.

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012 04:43:09 PM »
Check your state laws regarding the filings of satisfaction of judgment.

In my state, a judgment creditor has 10 days to file it.  If he doesn't he leaves himself open to unfair and deceptive practices charges and treble any real damages that the consumer suffers because of the error.

KFMAN

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012 02:21:08 PM »

This same thing happened to me and I filed a dispute with the CRA's and it was removed.

NotBonJovi

• Valued Member
  • No. I'm really NOT dead.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012 02:28:27 PM »
It sounds to me that you've already paid off the judgment, so a motion to vacate is too late at this point unless you have some serious card in your hand and welcome an arduous, and potentially fruitless, fight.

I'm guessing you just want it gone.

As previously mentioned, the next step is to be sure a Warrant of Satisfaction has been filed. The rules to this vary from state to state. In my state, the judgment creditor has 30 days to file it. If they do not do it within that window, the judgment debtor can file a motion to have the judgment recorded as Satisfied.

As KFMAN said, one can try going the disputing with the CRA route. I haven't had much luck with this and judgments in the past, but maybe you'll get lucky, too.
Helpful Links:
Abbreviations / Search Whole Board / The Flyingifr Method

There are some that push you to fail, but some who push you to succeed. Few realize or know the difference.

credit