Author Topic: post just mentioned "all these acronyms..."  (Read 1925 times)

Admin0619

• Administrator
Re: post just mentioned "all these acronyms..."
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012 01:09:58 PM »
If you'd use these acronyms in court pleadings you'd soon be out in the hallway.

Use standard English to communicate.

The rules of the forum are decided by the Terms Of Service to which one agrees upon registration.

As far as what policies are enforced within the forum, it is within the realm of the Administration.

If members find these rules and policies not to their liking, they are free to post elsewhere. Continued debate over established policies may result in one finding themselves out in a cyberspace hallway.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012 01:22:37 PM by Admin0619 »

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012 03:23:05 PM »
I am not the one that is insisting that the be called acronyms.

It has been my experience that acronyms are pronouncable as in SCOTUS for Supreme Court of the United States.

I prefer the word "abbeviations".  And, I believe, that is the term that the board uses.

And, Ostracon, if you wish to contact me by PM, the function is available to you to get what ever it is that you want off your chest.

And Chester is right.  If you use most of those abbreviations in court, you would likely be sitting outside on the steps outside rewriting your submission.

Ostracon

• Valued Member
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012 04:57:06 AM »
I am not the one that is insisting that the be called acronyms.

No one is insisting that they be called acronyms. It's just a synonym for the word 'abbreviation'. (Technically, a near-synonym, as all acronyms are abbreviations but not all abbreviations are acronyms. It's more of a sub-set. Just like the words car, truck, motorcycle, bus, etc., are a sub-set of 'motor vehicles', where all cars are motor vehicles but not all motor vehicles are cars.) I was referring to 'acronym' in my example search above because that word was in the subject of the thread. Nothing more.

It has been my experience that acronyms are pronouncable as in SCOTUS for Supreme Court of the United States.

Yes, that is the correct definition of 'acronym': an initialization (which is an abbreviation made up of the first letters of each word in a series of words) where the resulting string can be pronounced like a word. If it can't be spoken as a new 'word', then it it simply an initialization, although that term is rarely used in everyday English, as most people refer to initializations as 'acronyms'. While incorrect, 'acronym' is commonly used for both.

Another type of spoken abbreviation is called a portmanteau, which is the combination of two or more words to make a new word (i.e., spoon + fork = spork).

Then there are truncations, where the word is shortened (i.e. abbreviation = abbr.).

I prefer the word "abbeviations".  And, I believe, that is the term that the board uses.

I wasn't debating what to call it. I just wanted to know if the silly thing can be updated! 

:vbdoh:

And, Ostracon, if you wish to contact me by PM, the function is available to you to get what ever it is that you want off your chest.

I don't have anything to get 'off my chest'. I was merely going to ask if there was some perceived slight that I may have put upon you.

I know that written communication doesn't have the added benefit of tone, inflection, facial expression and body language that direct communication has. Sometimes people can sound curt when they don't intend to be.

I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove that my generosity is misplaced. I have no animosity toward you. The reverse, I'm not so sure. I didn't come here to make any enemies. I came here to be a positive contributing member to the board.

And Chester is right.  If you use most of those abbreviations in court, you would likely be sitting outside on the steps outside rewriting your submission.

I agree. But the topic was the definition of abbreviations (whether they be acronyms, initializations, truncations or portmanteau) which are used within the context of DB.

Since I have been unable to get an answer to my initial question of whether (or not) the list of abbreviations could be updated, (and if so, by whom), I shall retire.

I have already started a doc for my own use (from the suggestion of Irish, thank you again). As it accumulates, I would be more than willing to share it with anyone who is interested. If the board wishes to incorporate it, I'd be more than happy to oblige.

~O

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012 04:36:38 PM »
I have reread your posts and would like to point out to you...and to others...where it appears that the controversy lies.

Early in the thread, there was a complaint, essentially, that the board was not doing its best by for the scared newbie.

I must totally agree.  BUT...

There are constraints upon us as the givers of that assistance that prevent us from offering all that we might like.

One of those constraints is the subject matter itself.  While there is a great deal of commonality in the matters handled here, there is sufficient difference which cannot be addressed by a one-size-fits-all approach.   Each situation is different.  Each situation may or may not be bound by a contract, and if bound by a contract, there are hundreds, if not thousands out there that may require a different approach. Piled on top are the multitude of other law and procedures that may or may not play into the newbie's problem.

Another is the law.  The law states that it is a criminal offense (misdemeanor) to offer legal advise and to prepare/submit legal documents for another without being a licensed attorney.  We help as best we can under that constraint. Were we ti adopt a mentor scheme, each of the mentors really would be putting the mentors at ris.

Yet another is time.  Those of us who post here are volunteering our time and our experiences.  We cannot be expected to be available 24/7 to provide suicide hotline level services.  I think DB does a pretty good job a this. Not bad for a bunch of enlightened volunteers.

Next is Board organization. I believed it was revised 2 years ago.  From what I can see, they did a pretty good job.  But I am experienced on the board and can see the reasons for its organization as it now stands. It could be better...all things can...but it was a lot worse.  I would tend to prefer having the board organized by people who have spent time in the process and learned, through experience, what the steps are and what is needed for a newbie to succeed.  It is not unreasonable for the newbie to be either confused of lost.  It is a complex subject.  It is also not unusual for the newbie to charge forward to solve what "he" sees as his problem, discounting the advice of others that he lay the foundations before he starts building his tower.

All we can do is point the newbie in the right direction.  The start of that frequently necessitates that we get the newbie to set his fears aside.  If he doesn't do that, he can shoot himself in the foot and cause real damage...the sort of damage that reinforces his fears.

We cannot be responsible for the newbie either not reading or not following recommendations.  We cannot provide the "get out of jail free" card.  We CAN, however, teach the newbie how to make a key that will unlock his jail.

It is the learning that will provide the key.

Admin0619

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012 01:49:02 PM »
Extraneous post removed. Address the issue, not the poster.

Should one wish to reply to a personal message, this can be done by hitting 'Reply'.

strawmanmark

• Valued Member
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012 04:34:34 AM »
My thanks to Ostracon for asking the question.  At least I now know what JAMS is!  I've been reading the forums again tonight and my head was hurting from trying to figure that one out.

arnanda

• Valued Member
  • Take it or leave it.
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012 06:20:45 AM »
Hi, could the abbreviations on this thread be merged with the sticky?  That might help some of the newbies.
TUN - 791/850 (05-28-2014). EQU - 816/850 (01-19-2014). EXP - 789/850 (08-07-2014).
Abbreviations 1st Thread
Abbreviations 2nd Thread
Smurfy's Ease of Use