Author Topic: advice in contacting medical billing about ER bill?  (Read 644 times)

logrusson

• Valued Member
advice in contacting medical billing about ER bill?
« on: March 30, 2012 10:47:21 PM »
Hello
I have a high deductible so I'm stuck with all of this bill totaling 1300. I'd like some advice about how to negotiate with the billing dept. I've only received a statement from the insurance and they tell me the bill will be coming from the hospital. this is in CA.
Thanks all

Fighting Irish

• Valued Member
Re: advice in contacting medical billing about ER bill?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012 11:28:46 PM »
I would start by finding out who does the negotiations with insurance case managers at the hospital.

Point out that you would like to negotiate a lower portion for your share of the bill, so that you can pay them faster.

Realize, though, that if your insurance company finds out that you have changed the amount that you pay, that changes the entire bill, and you could still be on the hook for most, if not all, of the $1300.

Insurance contracts are written so as to prevent what you are trying to do.

I read hundreds of them when I was in re-insurance.

Whatever the warm fuzzies of insurance commercials try to convince you, their goal is to make money, and the best way to do that is to collect as much as possible, and pay out as little as they can.
Dang it, Jim! I'm a nurse, not an attorney!

(The rest of you, keep that in mind, too.)

logrusson

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012 05:11:27 PM »
Thank you. I guess I'll find out how this works when I try to do it.

arnanda

• Valued Member
  • Take it or leave it.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012 03:55:55 AM »
Depending on the hospital, they may have a hardship program, too.  Also, they may have charity program.   

Here are some examples:  one of my relatives had fairly good insurance with a reputable company, but even after the insurance the bill was $11,000!  My relative called their billing department and allowed her to do $25 per month.  If they have a charity program, and you qualify by income base, they could remove charges on the bill. 

Another thing to consider, if you think the bill is inaccurate, you could request a detailed itemization of all the medical charges, and an explanation of all the medical abbreviations.  It's not common to see ridiculous things like $100 aspirin!  Sometimes they double bill for procedures, or tests/medical procedures that you were scheduled for (and they decided not to do) they go ahead and bill you anyway! 
TUN - 791/850 (11-03-2014). EQU - 802/850 (11-04-2014). EXP - 789/850 (10-01-2014).
Abbreviations 1st Thread
Abbreviations 2nd Thread
Smurfy's Ease of Use

credit