Author Topic: May I refuse to provide my SS# during a subpoenaed debtor's examination?  (Read 1458 times)

Crimzone

• Valued Member
Apparently my first post about this was unclear.

I have been subpoenaed to appear next month to a California courthouse in my county to provide financial information to my creditor's attorney. This is a personal, non-business ex-fiance with a judgment against me. From reading these boards, I understand that they will ask about financial accounts, real estate, cars, boats, cash on hand and other assets.

They will also ask for my social security number, and I am almost certain they do not have it. May I legally refuse to give them my social security number? Can the judge order me to provide it?

Thank you, and I apologize for any confusion. This is my first day on this board. If anything is unclear, please be specific about what information I can provide. I really need help!

BrokeBob

• Valued Member
Would this strategy work?

When they ask, object.

If the judge demands you tell them, then you tell them or else you are in contempt, and that can get very nasty.

cprems

• Valued Member
How big is the Judgment?

If it is a large amount, consider filing a BK. This would wipe out all your current debt and the judgement.

Apparently my first post about this was unclear.

I have been subpoenaed to appear next month to a California courthouse in my county to provide financial information to my creditor's attorney. This is a personal, non-business ex-fiance with a judgment against me. From reading these boards, I understand that they will ask about financial accounts, real estate, cars, boats, cash on hand and other assets.

They will also ask for my social security number, and I am almost certain they do not have it. May I legally refuse to give them my social security number? Can the judge order me to provide it?

Thank you, and I apologize for any confusion. This is my first day on this board. If anything is unclear, please be specific about what information I can provide. I really need help!
ALL my postings have NO legal value.

I AM the "village idiot" please hold my posts to this standard.

If you need legal Counsel - contact an Attorney.

HarryC

• Valued Member
Disregard
I'm not a lawyer and I'm not even very smart.  You'd be well advised not to listen to anything I have to say.

Crimzone

• Valued Member
Hi Harry, disregard what? ;-)

Crimzone

• Valued Member
@cprems, I am considering that. However, I have reason to believe this particular judgment (over $50K) may be exempt from bankruptcy. But with substantial credit card debt, it's certainly something to consider, so thank you.

cprems

• Valued Member
Unless the judgment is for fraud, actual damages (think car wreck here) taxes or student loans (from what I understand) then it may very well be able to be included in a BK.

I would consult a BK Attorney or 12 and see if this is the case.

@cprems, I am considering that. However, I have reason to believe this particular judgment (over $50K) may be exempt from bankruptcy. But with substantial credit card debt, it's certainly something to consider, so thank you.
ALL my postings have NO legal value.

I AM the "village idiot" please hold my posts to this standard.

If you need legal Counsel - contact an Attorney.

siskelsghost

• Valued Member
  • Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!
... or some sort of alimony.

credit