The Players > Consumer Attorneys

Consumer Attorneys - Current Rates?

(1/6) > >>

Mrs. Micawber:
I have some complicated issues with my debts so found an attorney through the NACA website.  He said his fee is $1k plus 40% of any damages that are won, and he provides a free 1/2 hour consultation to see if you have a case.

I explained that I hadn't been sued yet, but expect to be and wanted to meet with him and get some specific questions answered.  He said the rate for that would be $500, and he would deduct it from the $1k flat fee if I hired him.  So far, so good, it all made sense and seemed reasonable to me.

When I got to his office today, I started by confirming that he would pro-rate his $500/hr charge, since I figured I needed about 1/2 hour.  I'm glad I asked because he said that no, it was $500 whether I used the full hour or not. 

Because of that and the fact that he looked like he was 12 years old, I thanked him and left before we started talking.  Does a non-prorated fee before he agrees to take the case seem high?  The last (non-consumer) lawyer I used last fall cost $400/hr, but he prorated his time.  What have your experiences been?

freedy:
I would run to find another attorney.

NotBonJovi:
This is just my personal experience, but the consumer attorneys I've encountered have unfortunately been just as slimy as debt collection attorneys.

in fact, one of them used to be a debt collection attorney. :P

kennypowers:

--- Quote from: freedy on February 14, 2012   12:59:25 AM ---I would run to find another attorney.

--- End quote ---

On the flyover rates vary between 160-250/hr. Most take on contingency if they feel you have a strong case.

Best one I ever know was an ex-CA, took 50-50 and no prisoners. Too bad I had to move.

kevinmanheim:

--- Quote from: NotBonJovi on February 14, 2012   02:47:45 AM ---This is just my personal experience, but the consumer attorneys I've encountered have unfortunately been just as slimy as debt collection attorneys.

in fact, one of them used to be a debt collection attorney. :P

--- End quote ---
+1

There's not a lot of money to be made in helping broke people, other than to help them file BK and make a fast $1000.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version