Author Topic: 888-243-0973 Collection call scam? Said they were trying to serve legal papers  (Read 2260 times)

nobk4me

• Valued Member
I received a strange voicemail on my cell phone. This is a number that I have acquired fairly recently, and that I have never given to any creditor.

The message was for first name, somewhat similar to mine, last name, spelled out, not at all similar. Since I'm not sure who they are looking for, I will call them Whoever.

The caller was a woman supposedly calling from a legal office, claiming that they have been trying to reach Whoever at their residence but can't, to serve legal papers. She said if they can't serve Whoever at home they will serve Whoever at their place of employment.

The woman gave her name (which I do not want to reveal here, for personal security purposes). The legal office was not named.

She gave a case number, just a six digit number, and said to call 888-243-0973 if Whoever had any questions.

She closed the message saying "consider yourself served."

Oh really, by phone?

I googled the number given, and found a recent comment from someone on mrnumber giving a very similar script. So I am guessing it's a scam.

I at first thought it might be a shady CA calling the former owner of my cell phone number.

I won't call the number back.

But it is rather creepy to get a message like this, when I do have debt issues, with the first name similar to mine. I had to listen to the message several times to understand what the caller was saying, as she talked fast, with sort of a snotty attitude.

Anyone else get a message like this?

Molon labe

Judgment Proof!

Flyingifr

• -DEAN EMERITUS-
  • Valued Member
  • Thank you Sears, NCO, AA and the rest for my toy
A CA saying "consider yourself served"?

My response would be (as the Village Idiot of FDCPA fame) "Oh yeah, well consider yourself sued" and then do it. As the Village Idiot (or Least Sophisticated Consumer) I would interpret "consider yourself sued" and having actually been served with a suit - which I obviously haven't been - and which is a misleading representation by the Collector - a FDCPA violation.
BTW-the Flyingifr Method does work. (quoted from Hannah on Infinite Credit, September 19, 2006)

I think of a telephone as a Debt Collector's crowbar. With such a device it is possible to pry one's mouth open wide enough to allow the insertion of a foot or two.

Morality of Debt? No one ever went to the Nether Regions for not paying a debt.

Founder of the Credit Terrorist Training Camp (Debtorboards)

arnanda

• Valued Member
  • Take it or leave it.
I would call them back for your prompt number removed.  Who wants these people calling them about someone else?  Also, they're breaking the law if they are a real company. 
TUN - 791/850 (05-28-2014). EQU - 816/850 (01-19-2014). EXP - 789/850 (08-07-2014).
Abbreviations 1st Thread
Abbreviations 2nd Thread
Smurfy's Ease of Use

nobk4me

• Valued Member
What I suspect it is, is a phishing scam.

If their mark calls the number, they will get someone demanding that they give all their personal info (full name, address, DOB, SSN, employment, banking info, etc.) "to assure they have the correct person" or "to correct their records" or some other lame reason.  Then the crooks have everything they need for identity theft. 

Oh yes, I thought of suing them.  That's why I googled the number, to see if it is associated with a company or street address.  It isn't, that I can find.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012 10:05:07 PM by nobk4me »
Molon labe

Judgment Proof!

Fighting Irish

• Valued Member
Keep looking.

http://mrnumber.com/1-888-243-0973.

Now it's Kimberly, and bad checks.

She's still threatening to get "the authorities" involved, though.

Dang it, Jim! I'm a nurse, not an attorney!

(The rest of you, keep that in mind, too.)

Flyingifr

• -DEAN EMERITUS-
  • Valued Member
  • Thank you Sears, NCO, AA and the rest for my toy
I just called that number and it sounds like a scam. Here's what happened and you draw your own conclusion:

I called the 888-243-0973 number and a gentlemen whose voice indicated African-American heritage answered. He asked my name and I gave him my real name. I asked the name of the company. He gave me:

ACS Litigation Services

Then I asked the street address, which he refused to give but did concede he is in Buffalo NY.

I asked his name, he gave "Conner Shaw". I asked him his position there, he stated he is the attorney. I could hear many  people in the background indicating a probably boiler room operation. Mr. Shaw, Esq apparently was such a good attorney he didn't even rate his own office.

After several minutes he admitted he could not find a case for me but offered to take my "information" so I could make a payment, even though he admitted he had no case to apply the payment to.

Draw your own conclusions.
BTW-the Flyingifr Method does work. (quoted from Hannah on Infinite Credit, September 19, 2006)

I think of a telephone as a Debt Collector's crowbar. With such a device it is possible to pry one's mouth open wide enough to allow the insertion of a foot or two.

Morality of Debt? No one ever went to the Nether Regions for not paying a debt.

Founder of the Credit Terrorist Training Camp (Debtorboards)

nobk4me

• Valued Member
The woman who left the voicemail had an African-American accent.
Molon labe

Judgment Proof!

cprems

• Valued Member
Try this address -

ACS Legal Services
1365 Chulo Vista Dr
Orange County
California
90062 U.S.A.

310-362-4320

Not sure if this is correct or not since FlyingIFR stated they were in NY.
ALL my postings have NO legal value.

I AM the "village idiot" please hold my posts to this standard.

If you need legal Counsel - contact an Attorney.

cbarnett97

• Valued Member
Keep looking.

http://mrnumber.com/1-888-243-0973.

Now it's Kimberly, and bad checks.

She's still threatening to get "the authorities" involved, though.
Next time she asks just tell her that you would really appreciate it if the authorities were involved and if she could hold on for a second you will get law enforcement on the line and all 3 of you can figure out what needs to be done.

credit