Author Topic: Where to find tax liens?  (Read 4073 times)

CAVU

• Valued Member
Where to find tax liens?
« on: December 19, 2011 11:24:17 PM »
I got a letter in the mail address to me from a local tax accountant claiming that "According to public records, an IRS lien has been filed against you and/or your business.  According to the IRS there is no tax lien on me (I called them right away).  I've been working on a offer in compromise which has been approved just waiting on the paper in hand and thought they might have changed their mind.  There is nothing public and a lien was never filed according to the IRS.  I did a Pacer search and nothing came up there and I also did a credit report pull, nothing there either.

I called over to the tax accountants office and spoke with an extremal rude woman.  I tried to find out where they got this information but she refused to tell me anything beyond we purchased a list and my name and address was on it and that the list was of public records.  I asked to speak with a supervisor and she refused.  I expressed my concern that I might have an issue of identity theft and needed to contact the company that provided this information.  The woman on the phone told me call the police and not waste her time. 

Not sure what to do here.  Do I sue the accountant for something to get the name of this list or is this possibly just a ploy to get business and do I sue them for false advertising?  Could someone out there be reporting erroneous lien info and how do I find this out?
What the heck do I know?  If I were a lemming I would be #2 in the pile at the bottom of the cliff.

nobk4me

• Valued Member
Re: Where to find tax liens?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011 11:35:17 PM »
I have seen IRS tax liens filed at the county recorder's office.
Molon labe

Judgment Proof!

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011 11:37:41 PM »
Check out your local deed registry. 

If the IRS is going to slap a lien on you, it is going to be on your real estate.

The accountant got the info from somewhere, and he is under no obligation to tell you where. It can, however, assume that it was from a public record.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011 11:44:30 PM by CleaningUp »

CAVU

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011 11:48:15 PM »
The IRS has no record of a lien ever being filed and I checked my county website for liens.  Nothing at either place.  I own no real estate. So don't know what they could have filed a lien on. 

Since I have it from the "Horses Mouth" (The IRS) that no lien exists I am concerned about identity theft.  But without a way to track down this supposed lien I am not sure what to do.  I really need to know who is stating I have a lien filed against me.  Is there any way to compell this company to provide me the provider of this information?
What the heck do I know?  If I were a lemming I would be #2 in the pile at the bottom of the cliff.

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011 11:55:32 PM »
You believe a website at your own peril...even this one.

CAVU

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011 12:01:32 AM »
Cleaning up,
While I appreciate your suggestions, I've stated twice now that I spoke with the IRS and they told me "No Lien Exists".

I called and spoke directly with the IRS department that handles liens and they have no record of one being filed and stated they have no reason to file one at this time. 

So I spoke directly with the IRS.  Did a Pacer search.  Checked my local county lien website.  And pulled fresh copies of my credit.  All were negative for a lien on file. 

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011 12:04:04 AM »
Don't be a twit CAVU.  Go down to the registry and look through the ACTUAL files.

THEN you can say it isn't there.

But that still doesn't change the fact that there is nothing you can do to the person who called you.

Ximat

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011 12:24:43 AM »
I am curious to know the name of the accountant's office that mailed you said letter.  About a week after I was served a summons for a credit card debt I received a letter in the mail from an accounting firm about a tax lien.  After receiving the letter I immediatly contacted my accountant, as I had the same concers you do.  My accountant told me they had heard of this company before, they have a reputation of using public records as methods to drum up business.

With all that said... Do you have any current court cases at the moment?

I definatly agree with CleaningUp though, to be absolutely sure, go look in person at the court house to verify in person that there is indeed no lien.  Don't take a receptionists word for it, verify with your own eyes.

Regards,
X

Fighting Irish

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011 02:45:27 AM »
The title of your thread is "Where to Find Tax Liens?"

The answer is: at your county courthouse.

Cavu, the fact that CU answered your question several times, isn't cause for you to behave like a petulant child.

The fact is that people who come here for help need help in more ways than one.

Giving them direction in where to look is only part of the equation. Getting them used to the idea of thinking in legal language is the biggest favor that can be done.

If somebody runs away from DB because CU or another matter of fact poster hurt their widdle feelings, what on earth will happen when they, as pro se, encounter the slime that are collection attorneys?

I got slapped a few times by CU when I first started. It startled me, because I was used to more touchy feely fora.

But as I learned to wade through the legalities of these issues, I appreciated the specificity of his manner.

Why DON'T you want to go to your county courthouse?

I assume that you realize that any person you talk with at the IRS has NO liability for giving you false information.

I'm not assuming that they did so. But I'm not assuming that they did not, either.

Dang it, Jim! I'm a nurse, not an attorney!

(The rest of you, keep that in mind, too.)

jreed

• Valued Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011 03:07:05 AM »
The title of your thread is "Where to Find Tax Liens?"

The answer is: at your county courthouse.

Cavu, the fact that CU answered your question several times, isn't cause for you to behave like a petulant child.

The fact is that people who come here for help need help in more ways than one.

Giving them direction in where to look is only part of the equation. Getting them used to the idea of thinking in legal language is the biggest favor that can be done.

If somebody runs away from DB because CU or another matter of fact poster hurt their widdle feelings, what on earth will happen when they, as pro se, encounter the slime that are collection attorneys?

I got slapped a few times by CU when I first started. It startled me, because I was used to more touchy feely fora.

But as I learned to wade through the legalities of these issues, I appreciated the specificity of his manner.

Why DON'T you want to go to your county courthouse?

I assume that you realize that any person you talk with at the IRS has NO liability for giving you false information.

I'm not assuming that they did so. But I'm not assuming that they did not, either.

I have to second this post.

CAVU, ultimately you've listed the possible reasons that guy sent you that note.  And it is possibly a way for him to drum up business.

The best, and really only thing for you to do is make absolute certain that there is no lien against you.

If your state has a Dept of Financial institutions, check there.  In wisconsin sometimes liens of certain types are there.

You already called the IRS...and while that's good, let me ask this.  DO YOU TRUST THEM TO DO WHAT IS IN YOUR BEST INTERESTS?  If you answer yes to that question then you are done.  If not, then you need to verify.  And verification happens at the courthouse.  (most likely).

You should expect to have your rant moderated shortly.  Funny enough, I had posted a somewhat similar rant to CU a while back that was quickly taken down.  So let me offer a little advice.

Yes CU can come across as  a jerk and you'll get slapped around a bit as another poster put it.  But before you get all sensitive and cry like a baby, which is precisely what I did.  You have to ask yourself why the person posts that way.  And here, on this board is is almost always to get you prepared.

You may not like it.  You may not like CU.  You don't have to.  You just have to understand that if you are ever pro se going up against an arrogant jerk of an attorney and possibly judge...its folks like CU that got you ready for that encounter. 
If you look at my posts and the type of questions I've been asking, you'll quickly come to the conclusion that you shouldn't listen to anything I say.

CAVU

• Valued Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011 03:28:17 AM »
Irish,
Clearly both you and Cleaning up have reading comprehension problems.  I stated multiple times, the county treasurers office has no record of a tax lien at all.  If I were to go down in person to my local county court house, the clerk (probably the same one I spoke with on the phone) who sits behind a glass window will use the same online service to look up my info and tell me as she did earlier today when I called that "NO LIEN EXSITS".  Now I would love to go strolling through the files that my local government may or may not have on me sadly I am not allowed to do so.  My only options are to go to the county website or go down to the court house and have the clerk behind the glass window with a little hole in it go to the same website and do a search. 

Given that I spoke with both the IRS and the county clerk at the treasurers office and they both told me "NO LIEN EXSITS" I am inclined to believe that one does not exist. 

So I clearly have tried the options suggested by Cleaning up (and now you) that are available to me.  The result is "NO LIEN EXSITS".  I suspect that the letter is purely a scare tactic to drum up business and is probably in violation of some law.  Or this is in fact a credit reporting agency out there providing invalid info which is in violation of the FCRA.  In either case I need to be able to find out. 

You'll have to trust me on this, but I've got pretty thick skin so my issue with Cleaning Up isn't his or her abrasiveness it is the clearly poor reading comprehension and suggestions that don't make a lick of sense.

You've both suggested I go down to the court house to check.  I've done that over the phone and the internet.  Going there in person will get me no further as I am not allowed direct access to the files.  I can only go to the clerks window and ask for them to do a search for me.  They would, as I mentioned before, use the same website available to me here at home to look up my files.  Surprisingly both the website and the clerk I spoke with over the phone gave the same result of no result. 

But most importantly I went to the source, The IRS says they don't have any thing filed and have no reason to.  I didn't just go to one department, I was bounced around to two I spoke with directly and a third through one of the IRS phone reps.  So given that the IRS who is supposedly the one who filed this lien says they didn't and the county says they don't have any record, and none of the three credit reporting agencies show one, I am inclind to believe one does not exist. 

As I have exhausted all the sources that I know and the ones suggested here I posted this question in the hopes that someone else here might be able to point me somewhere else from where I had already stated I tried.  I pointed out that I had already checked the suggested sources and even checked with the source of the supposed lien by Cleaning Up I was told I was a "Twit".  Now I made no disparaging remarks regarding his limited intellect but one has to wonder, given the limited reading comprehension exhibited here, of the accuracy of his advice. 

Now feel free to call me a "petulant child" but I suggest you take the time to look that phrase up as you are clearly as off the mark as your own reading comprehension shows. 

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011 04:09:41 AM »
1.  IRS phone drones are as likely to make errors....well...as you CAVU.

2.  Phone drones at the clerk's office are as likely to make errors as...well...you CAVU

3.  If YOU go to the court house or deed registry and look it up in an ACTUAL RECORD, THEN you can say that it isn't there.

4.  Why do you frequently argue against taking the simple steps that YOU NEED to take to ASSURE your interests are preserved?

5.  The trip to the court house or deed registry is YOUR insurance policy.

Stop being both petulant and a twit.  And stop thinking more of YOUR CONVENIENCE than assuring, first hand, your position!

This seems to be an on-going habit for you.

In my venue liens and attachments are date/time-stamped and recorded on entry at a registry of deeds. Copies of the liens and attachments (and any other legally registered documents) are bound in books.  Those books are public records and open for inspection.

I'm pretty sure that your state has a similar system, particularly since many states identified land records by the metes-and-bounds system, there had to be a means of recording which rock, and which tree, and which stream formed the boundry points.

I would be looking for your name or any variation thereof, or the address or addresses at which you lived in the past 10 or 12 years.

The IRS drone and the clerk may well be right. But if they aren't, and you are just sitting there counting your toes, you will have only yourself to blame.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011 04:20:27 AM by CleaningUp »

CAVU

• Valued Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011 05:00:36 AM »
Cleaning up,
I considered this before but I grow more and more convinced that you are a child incapable of accepting that you might be wrong.  I suspect you are a young adult living in your parents basement pontificating into the interwebs because you have no friends or hobbies.  Any time anyone here on DB disagrees with you, you resort to name calling and repeatedly point out that you are right and everyone else is wrong.  So now like a child you are throwing a temper tantrum.   You seem to get worse the more that someone points out "The Emperor has no clothes".  You just can't let this go. 

I tried your suggestions, YOU didn't like the results.  If you were any sort of adult you would accept that I chose not to take your advice (which in fact I did, I just did not get the result you though I should).   You didn't, you instead repeatedly post the same suggestion over and over again.  Completely unable to see that I tried the options you suggested in the way that they are available to me.   

I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself.  But clearly you aren't able to comprehend anything beyond your own inflated and uneducated opinion.   I would point out the flaws AGAIN in your suggestions but it obviously you would comprehend. Why is it so important for you to be right when clearly you are not?  Get over it and grow up.  As you point out everyone makes mistakes.  You've made one, now let it go. 

Your suggestion is clearly without merit as has been shown time and time again.  Please go away and stop hijacking my threads. 

CAVU

• Valued Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011 05:07:03 AM »
To the adults here on the board,
I feel pretty confident that no lien exists per direction from the IRS.  I've now spoken with my offer in compromise case manage at the IRS and she did all the research available to her.  This is now 4 different departments at the IRS who have stated no lien exists.  I also as stated earlier verified this with my local treasurers office both online and by phone.  I also pulled new reports from all three of the major credit reporting agencies. 

So now I suspect someone is either erroneously reporting that I have a lien, thus effecting my credit, that is not one of the major three credit reporting agencies or this tax accountant is using scare tactics to generate business. 

I need to compel this tax attorney to provide his source for info.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to do so?

NotBonJovi

• Valued Member
  • No. I'm really NOT dead.
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011 11:14:13 AM »
Here's an idea: Why not physically go to the courthouse and seeing if the lien exists?

Your "suspicions" and "feeling confident" aren't relevant in a court of law. People have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get you to see that.
Helpful Links:
Abbreviations / Search Whole Board / The Flyingifr Method

There are some that push you to fail, but some who push you to succeed. Few realize or know the difference.

credit