CAN I PLAY DEVIL'S ADVOCATE

(1/2) > >>

duh:
This is not exactly feedback, but not for any other posting area
that I have found.

Mods, if I am wrong, please move me.

Can anyone explain, so that I can understand it, exactly
why no one is  permitted to give any legal advice or
suggestions to another person unless you are a 'licensed attorney'.

If you told me you were sneezing and coughing and
had a sore throat, And I told you to go to the store
and buy some C*ld-eze (zinc) and start sucking them
all day long, if you are in the beginning stages of a cold,
and I assured you if you did this at "The very Beginning"
 and if you did your cold would be gone in a couple of days
or tremendously shortened.

I am not going to be in trouble for giving medical advice.

True, if I did surgery yes, as I am not a surgeon, and I could
kill someone... but I am allowed to put a bandage on a cut
or even give insulin injections to another, as a lay person.

If I walk into a building under constuction and make the
suggestion
that the heat registers need to be moved to be centered
under each window, and the builder does this in
opposition to the licensed architects blueprints, I am not
going to be fined.

If I pitch a fit to the owner of a public building that they
need to put grab bars, or door knobs in every stall
in a ladies room... (You ladies know where I am coming from)
OSHA is not going to come after me for doing what they
should have already done.

So.... Why... is it that we cannot express an opinion regarding
something in the law. This is the only industry that I can think
of that prohibits it.

We should have first amendment protection.

Admin0248:
It is a function of what risk Debtorboards, Inc. is willing to take. The reasoning and policy is stated in this thread.

http://www.debtorboards.com/index.php/topic,15594.msg120218.html#msg120218

Expressing an opinion is expressing an opinion.  Telling someone what to do is not; it is telling someone what to do.  Significant difference. If some state/attorney elects to take us to task, it will be up to us to defend.  In all jurisdictions, unlicensed practice of law is a criminal offense, not a civil one. As CGoodwin says, it can get expensive.

We are sure that YOU would not be willing to foot Debtorboards, Inc.'s legal bills.  Our policy is set to assure that we minimize the chances for our having to fund a defense ourselves.

The best way to not have to pay legal bills is to avoid getting in situations where they need be paid.  If there is convenient and reasonable way to avoid it, it is self-destructive not to take the convenient and reasonable way.  We have chosen not to be self-destructive.

This is not a subject for debate by the membership.

Your cooperation is required.

cgoodwin:
I'll start.

Lawyers are in the business of giving legal advise.  They are also the professionals at suing people.  A lot of times lawyers are also the ones that run for legislative offices. So, they have great influence over the laws and rules. 

They influence the laws to protect theirs income. There has been some debate on this board about what rises to the level of Unlicensed Practice of Law.  The debate aside, the board moderators have set the standard they expect. I'm sure this board and others have attracted a lot of attention as of late, and defending a lawsuit that is winnable could still cost more than the board could afford. (A corporation cannot be represented in court WITHOUT an attorney.)

The pharmaceutical companies have followed their example. So if you tell me that zinc can cure my disease, you could be in trouble with the FDA if you promote it publicly.  New FDA regulations say you cannot claim anything cures a disease without FDA approval ( equals $$$$$).  So by the new FDA rules, you cannot claim baking soda is a cure for "acid reflux disease", which used to just be heartburn or indigestion.

duh:

--- Quote from: Admin0248 on May 10, 2011   07:22:22 PM ---It is a function of what risk Debtorboards, Inc. is willing to take. The reasoning and policy is stated in this thread.

http://www.debtorboards.com/index.php/topic,15594.msg120218.html#msg120218

Expressing an opinion is expressing an opinion.  Telling someone what to do is not; it is telling someone what to do.  Significant difference. If some state/attorney elects to take us to task, it will be up to us to defend.  In all jurisdictions, unlicensed practice of law is a criminal offense, not a civil one. As CGoodwin says, it can get expensive.

We are sure that YOU would not willing to foot Debtorboards, Inc.'s legal bills.  Our policy is set to assure that we minimize the chances for our having to fund a defense ourselves.

The best way to not have to pay legal bills is to avoid getting in situations where they need be paid.  If there is convenient and reasonable way to avoid it, it is self-destructive not to take the convenient and reasonable way.  We have chosen not to be self-destructive.

This is not a subject for debate by the membership.

Your cooperation is required.

--- End quote ---

No, I perfectly understand Debtorboard position and I agree....

I am just talking in general....

I have a friend who is a paralegal and she was afraid to help
me even by giving me general court rules.

It should not be that way.... and husbands and wives
should be able to help each other.... too.

But please delete this and it will go no further.

Admin0248:
"Should be" and "is" are very different.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version