Author Topic: Truth in Caller ID Act  (Read 1442 times)

Flyingifr

• -DEAN EMERITUS-
  • Valued Member
  • Thank you Sears, NCO, AA and the rest for my toy
Truth in Caller ID Act
« on: April 17, 2011 02:33:26 PM »
It's a Federal Law that prohibits "spoofing" a caller ID name or company. Generics like "unavailable" are still allowed.

Unfortunately, enforcement is left to the Federal Communications Commission, and there is no Private Right of Action. Make sure you file a complaint with the FCC withe very sigle spoofed caller ID you get. Messages left count.

Here's the link: http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/callerid.html
BTW-the Flyingifr Method does work. (quoted from Hannah on Infinite Credit, September 19, 2006)

I think of a telephone as a Debt Collector's crowbar. With such a device it is possible to pry one's mouth open wide enough to allow the insertion of a foot or two.

Morality of Debt? No one ever went to the Nether Regions for not paying a debt.

Founder of the Credit Terrorist Training Camp (Debtorboards)

flacorps

• Valued Member
  • Author of Debt Hope in Trade Paperback
    • Learn to Solve Your Own Debt Problems
Re: Truth in Caller ID Act
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011 05:14:30 PM »
In states with "Little FDCPA" acts courts could find it to be a deceptive, illegal means of collection ... it's good to be able to point to a statutory violation.
"History has taught us that weakness is provocative. To the extent that people see an area of weakness, they will take advantage of it..." - Donald Rumsfeld

http://www.myhopeseries.com

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011 06:04:04 PM »

If there is a statutory violation of state law in a collections matter, it is also a violation of the FDCPA.

You get the state one and you have the federal one.

flacorps

• Valued Member
  • Author of Debt Hope in Trade Paperback
    • Learn to Solve Your Own Debt Problems
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011 07:29:07 PM »
If there is a statutory violation of state law in a collections matter, it is also a violation of the FDCPA.

Yep, it can circle all the way back.
"History has taught us that weakness is provocative. To the extent that people see an area of weakness, they will take advantage of it..." - Donald Rumsfeld

http://www.myhopeseries.com

cprems

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011 05:25:07 AM »
CU,

Can you take two bites out of the apple? What I mean is, can you file an FDCPA violation & the same State law violation?

I was under the impression that you could only use the FDCPA and State laws for different violations.

Here in Texas we can DV anytime and they must respond within 30 days. There is no provision, in fact, no timeline in the FDCPA for validation.

Maybe that wasn't a good example. Also IF a State law is violated, and the SOL is longer, can you use the longest SOL for both State and Federal laws or would the 1 year SOL apply?

ALL my postings have NO legal value.

I AM the "village idiot" please hold my posts to this standard.

If you need legal Counsel - contact an Attorney.

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011 01:20:57 PM »
Yes. You can essentially bite the apple form two sides.

While the violations cannot legitimately be used in two different actions, they can be used as two seperate counts in the same action.

There is case law that backs this up. See: Harrington v. CACV of Colorado, LLC, et.al http://www.debtorboards.com/index.php?action=search2

As the opinion notes, state UCC implementation usually has a longer SOL than the FDCPA so you can still get at a violating CA even after the FDCPA SOL has run.

cracrap

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011 02:44:13 PM »

i was reading an order somewhere where one of the federal courts said that a violation of a state law is not a per se violation of the fdcpa if it does not fall within one of the prohibited provisions of the fdcpa and to simply cite it under the "catch all phrase" of an "unfair means in debt collection" was not enough.
say nope to dope...ugghh to drugs...and God bless Ronald Reagan!!!

Quote from: smurfy

this really is not a spectator sport ... you have to know what your doing ... or you will get in very hot water very quickly

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011 03:49:59 PM »

Yes and no. 

To claim a specific FDCPA violation under the UCC, the act must fit the FDCPA's definition of a violation.

However...  Remember, that the FDCPA prohibits acts that they are illegal and includes actions that they are not entitled to take.  If the collector is found to have violated a UCC clause, he had committed an illegal act. If the underlying context was collections matter involving an entity covered by the FDCPA, the UCC violation is a FDCPA violation.