Author Topic: How can you find out whether a suit has been filed?  (Read 2794 times)

vern

• Valued Member
How can you find out whether a suit has been filed?
« on: April 06, 2011 03:12:13 AM »
Question: how can I search online to see whether a lawsuit has been filed against me?

I searched the Superior Court of Los Angeles County and it said a "party name search" would cost $4.75 per search.
* Is this the right venue where a suit would be filed?
* And does it really cost five bucks to check to make sure you have a heads up that a suit has been filed?

I've read recommendations here to check periodically to make sure a suit hasn't been filed -- to protect yourself against sewer service and a court date approaching that you don't even know about -- but would appreciate detailed instructions.

My apologies if this is covered elsewhere on DB, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks!

Death punch of death

• Valued Member
Re: How can you find out whether a suit has been filed?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011 05:17:31 AM »
Try calling the court.  Perhaps you can find out for free that way.  Also, when you are sued, it is not uncommon to receive advertisement letters from local law offices offering to help defend you.  Oftentimes you'll receive these letters even before being served.

ladygarner

• Valued Member
  • Please consider donating to keep DB alive and well
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011 11:42:34 AM »
Hi vern and welcome  :)

Is the amount high enough to be in Superior Court? Just wondering; that is the case here in my State. Otherwise, it would be in District Court.

Sometimes, you can find a helpful clerk on the phone so you might want to try that route.  ;) Perhaps during conversation you can ask the clerk about the online information.
Thanks to all that helped me go from :-[ to :karate: 

Newcomers -- please start here:
The Flyingifr Method of Aggressive Credit Repair

Abbreviations

montag

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011 03:31:06 PM »
Question: how can I search online to see whether a lawsuit has been filed against me?
Try a few phone calls to your local court clerk.

vern

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011 07:37:52 PM »
Thanks!

Alleged amt is now (fee'd up to) $38K for one acct.

kennypowers

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011 03:44:01 AM »
In Kansas in the county I reside in the district court in pretty computerized. Allows litigant search by name. From there you find all docket entries. I cannot ascertain if there is a time lag in data entry which is helpful in beating both process and execution. Missouri has a slightly similar system. Myself, I run my name about every 5-10 days.
See that puppy dog sleepin' over in the corner.

Don't bother him.