Author Topic: classmates.com scam  (Read 3197 times)

jag616

• Valued Member
classmates.com scam
« on: April 05, 2011 04:13:27 AM »
Here is where I'm at one year ago I signed up for the 10$ gold membership and it was worthless waste of money so I didn't go back, the prepaid debit card I used expired so I paid walmart the 3$ for a new one.

Here is the thing classmates tried to access the 39$ and was declined because of incorrect expiration date twice then on the third try they accessed the money, I never gave them the new expiration date.

I'm just wondering isn't this fraud?

Also this happened two weeks ago.

Mischievous Smurfy

• Valued Member
Re: classmates.com scam
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011 06:43:52 AM »
they probably guessed the expiration date ... in any event ... report it as fraud.

and ... i don't know what the original ppcc was but the walmart/green dot version ... they will send you a new card when the old one expires ...

one quirk however is that there is a short period of time during the rollover where it gets wierd trying to figure out which expiration date to use ...   you will get the new card before the old one expires ... but you have to use the new exp. as soon as the new one is issued ... but you haven't received it yet .... just a little glitch
Ease of Use - Smurfy's Quick Reference

why are we requesting validation instead of disputing???  Why Why Why

silverzgirl

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011 12:28:48 PM »
Classmates is an auto-renew. Are you sure they accessed it three times?

I will say that they are good about refunding money. I just told them I forgot about it, and did not want to renew (and that the card was to be closed.)
“Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.”  - Sun-Tzu

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. I once thought I was a lawyer when I was litigating in a courtroom, but turns out I just had Patron induced bed spins and dreamed it all. Take my posts with a grain of salt...and a shot of Patron. But not so much you think you are a lawyer.

Flyingifr

• -DEAN EMERITUS-
  • Valued Member
  • Thank you Sears, NCO, AA and the rest for my toy
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011 01:32:15 PM »
My experience with classmates indicates this is more of sloppy bookkeeping than a scam. Cut them some slack and get ahold of them, they will correct it.
BTW-the Flyingifr Method does work. (quoted from Hannah on Infinite Credit, September 19, 2006)

I think of a telephone as a Debt Collector's crowbar. With such a device it is possible to pry one's mouth open wide enough to allow the insertion of a foot or two.

Morality of Debt? No one ever went to the Nether Regions for not paying a debt.

Founder of the Credit Terrorist Training Camp (Debtorboards)

jag616

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011 02:55:20 AM »
"they probably guessed the expiration date ... in any event ... report it as fraud"

That's exactly what they did

"Classmates is an auto-renew. Are you sure they accessed it three times"

Yes walmart tried to access it 2 times on the 27th then on the 29th and it posted.

"I will say that they are good about refunding money. I just told them I forgot about it, and did not want to renew (and that the card was to be closed
My experience with classmates indicates this is more of sloppy bookkeeping than a scam. Cut them some slack and get ahold of them, they will correct it"

If you google classmates.com you people defending it will see that they are a scam and makes me wonder why you are defending them are you working for them?

silverzgirl

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011 03:08:28 AM »
Nope, I asked them to refund my money, and they refunded my money with no issues. It is not a scam when they explicitly state that they auto-renew. Ditto for dating sites...they don't charge by the month, they are all auto renew. And I forgot to give Blockbuster my new expiration date or my new address, but money was still taken each month. So it is not as though they cannot get money when they have your card number and your permission to use it.

Sorry to disappoint the nation of whiners on Google who convinced you that it is a scam, but it is not a scam.

“Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.”  - Sun-Tzu

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. I once thought I was a lawyer when I was litigating in a courtroom, but turns out I just had Patron induced bed spins and dreamed it all. Take my posts with a grain of salt...and a shot of Patron. But not so much you think you are a lawyer.

silverzgirl

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011 03:42:54 AM »
And you are rather arrogant and defensive for one with 4 posts, considering one of the people who answered you owns this site.

If you roll over and die after one phone call, it is a good thing it is not a collector you are going up against.

Call again. Email them. Let them know there is a mistake. Tell them this card was supposed to be closed. It does work, but it may take persistence. I got them to refund the charges.

jag616

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011 04:00:41 AM »
the thing is I'm not being arrogant or defensive I have no reason to be defensive it seems to me that you are the one on the defensive side.And as for arrogant,Your kidding me I'm talking about a walmart debit card what do I have to be arrogant about. but the thing is I will be seeking a lawer to sue you .

And also why are you so mad abought this post?

jag616

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011 04:04:58 AM »
Obviously  this guy is or working for classmates.com

Flyingifr

• -DEAN EMERITUS-
  • Valued Member
  • Thank you Sears, NCO, AA and the rest for my toy
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011 05:04:56 AM »
Shall we confine the discussion to Classmates, not each other?
BTW-the Flyingifr Method does work. (quoted from Hannah on Infinite Credit, September 19, 2006)

I think of a telephone as a Debt Collector's crowbar. With such a device it is possible to pry one's mouth open wide enough to allow the insertion of a foot or two.

Morality of Debt? No one ever went to the Nether Regions for not paying a debt.

Founder of the Credit Terrorist Training Camp (Debtorboards)

Time2Fight

• Suspended
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011 05:45:13 AM »
your obviously working for these people because when i called them they said that once charged they will not refund the money.

That is incorrect.  I signed up using my old PayPal account and classmates.com set it for auto-renew.  So the following year I was charged and once I figured out how they did so I removed the auto-renew.  I did a dispute with PayPal and classmates.com would refund the money but I had to dismiss my dispute with PayPal 1st.  A couple of days after closing out my dispute the money was refunded.

Fighting Irish

• Valued Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011 06:15:11 AM »
Nearly any company will instruct the lowest level customer service people to say "No," when you ask for a refund. Or anything else, for that matter. Practice this statement, "That won't work for me." Use it, pleasantly, three times in response to the No. If you continue to get the No, then ask for the person's supervisor, again, pleasantly.

I've gotten refunds from all sorts of places, being pleasant. OTOH, I never joined classmates.com, because it seemed a waste of money to me. That said, I would venture that it's harder to get a refund from Comcast, and I recently got two months service credited, d/t pleasantly complaining, high enough on the customer service ladder, about poor service after a storm.

The way you approach people matters. Check your attitude when you're trying to get a refund. Assertive =! aggressive.
Dang it, Jim! I'm a nurse, not an attorney!

(The rest of you, keep that in mind, too.)

coltfan1972

• Valued Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011 04:13:58 PM »
If you google just about any company, person, or website, and put the word scam behind it you will find 99% of everything and everybody is a scam according to the internet. 

I have know a lot of my friends use classmates.com and I have never heard of any issues.  Just call or e-mail them and I bet you won't have any problem getting a refund.  If you want to do it the hard way file a dispute with your debit card.  Either way you will get a refund but why fill out a bunch of paperwork if a call or e-mail will probably do the trick. 
Scroggin succeed in making this case an expensive nightmare for both CBOJ and its counsel.
Scroggin made a "mockery" out of CBOJ's deposition.

Scroggin made "perverted one-liners" during his deposition.
Scroggin called CBOJ'S counsel "a little witch"

Scroggin used the FDCPA as a "sword of intimidation."
Scroggin loves suing debt collectors.

Scroggin is proud of his behavior and "unapologetic."

Rebecca Worsham - Lead Counsel, Scroggin v. CBOJ- 3:12-cv-128, Eastern District of Ark.

HeadsUp

• Valued Member
  • judgment proof
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012 12:16:25 AM »
Why would anyone join classmates when you have Facebook for free?

By the way, I hate both of them.

If I haven't talked to someone since I graduated from high school, why would I want to talk to them now?

But back to the topic.  Once someone you don't trust has that debit card number, it is no longer a safe account.

I know of a relative who had a debit card number that somehow fell into the wrong hands online, and even after she cleared the whole matter up with the bank, reported the debit card number stolen, and even closed the account, about a year and a half after all that, someone in a foreign country tried to use that old number again. 

Once something like that happens, you have to make sure you get a completely new debit card number, not just a new expiration date.   They will attempt to run things through on the old number, hoping there is now money in the account again.
Finally a collector admits it...

"The reality is that there are people who can't pay and the job of an agency in my opinion is to separate those who can and those who cant and to not waste resources and efforts on those who cant." -- Dr. Evil.

All this nonsense about aggressive judgment enforcement against someone with no assets is just that-- utter nonsense.

http://www.debtorboards.com/index.php?topic=13309.msg100303#msg100303

Gimpy

• Valued Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012 01:14:15 AM »
If I haven't talked to someone since I graduated from high school, why would I want to talk to them now?

+1

credit