Author Topic: Municipal Enforcement Division Dunning Letter; Does this violate?  (Read 3261 times)

FightingMad

• Valued Member
I received a letter dated 8/3/10 that reads:

Municipal Enforcement Division VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE

Consumer-
  You were previously notified that your account with the City of XXXXXX is seriously past due. You should treat this as a serious matter. The remedies available to the city are usually costly and time consuming and could affect your credit. This matter has not been put on your credit report as of this date so the time is to act now (THIS IS CURRENTLY ON MY CREDIT REPORT). As you know, having good credit is important if you ever plan on purchasing a car or house, having utilities turned on, obtaining credit cards, or even obtaining unemployment as many employers review an applicant's credit reports before hiring them.

City: City of XXXXXX
Amount owed: $132.56
Person to contact: John West at (800) 319 -2300

Make all checks or money orders payable to the City of XXXXXX and mail directly to the City at the address below. Please send the payment coupon attached to the bottom of this letter with your payment.
If you are unable to pay the full amount at this time, avoid the embarassment, time, and expense of having this matter proceed any further by calling me toll free at (800) 555-5160 in order that we may attempt to find a solution to this situation.

This is an attempt to collect a debt. Any information obtained will be used for that purpose.

The letter isn't signed by anyone, and they don't give me the opportunity in the letter torequest debt validation. This is the first notice that I have received regarding this debt.  Do I have any violations on them right now? I disputed this through the big 3 recently.

The address in the upper corner of the envelope reads:

11063 S. Memorial Dr. 460
Tulsa, OK 74133-7347

There is no company name anywhere on this letter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
Re: Municipal Enforcement Division Dunning Letter; Does this violate?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010 01:41:36 AM »
Have you contacted the municipality to find out what is going on?

Would be a good idea.

FightingMad

• Valued Member
Re: Municipal Enforcement Division Dunning Letter; Does this violate?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010 05:51:35 PM »
No, I haven't as I am fairly certain that this is an OLD utility bill from years ago...