Author Topic: What Can a Skip Tracer Accompish?  (Read 20651 times)

Rottweiler

• "SIT!" "Stay!" "Watch OUT!"
  • Valued Member
  • Talent does what it can; genius does what it must
    • Debtor Talk:  "Tough Love" for the Collection Industry.
Re: What Can a Skip Tracer Accompish?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008 04:15:01 PM »
Yes, you are right they will find you especially if you have debts to pay.  They can get access to numbers of your relatives/friends so they could possibly tell your number/address.  The only way I would imagine of getting out of it would be to pay or file bankruptcy.  Yes you should try to pay your debts back little by little, how about borrowing the money or making some small payments?  It just doesn't go away or perhaps you could file bankruptcy so they go away as well.

Well, we have a problem here.

Not with the fact that most CSRs at a CA know how to do a Google and reverse directory search...and can be stubborn <rear ends of horses> when a commission is at stake.  You hint at having other sources...but those are usually either more expensive than the bosses are willing to pay for for 'routine' collections and/or are not available to you.

What you have is...what the rest of us consumers do. 

However, your understanding of BK law is rather weak, as is your understanding of the realities of debt service:  Most creditors DON'T go for the "little by little" payments since their own "books"--and shareholders if they are a publically-traded company--simply don't want to wait for the money.  (We are not dealing with Joe's Garage and Rotten Veggie Food Shoppe very often anymore, the type of small businesses who might go for those payment arrangements to get the money small businesses must collect to survive.)

The suggestion to borrow money and then discharge that debt in the BK?  The timing you hint at would likely work against both the debtor and the creditor client and the CA.  It's a little detail called "preferential payment" in which payments received before so many days/months are up prior to filing have to be paid back to the BK Estate to be distributed to everyone, not just you or your client. 

I am sure you would LOVE paying back those commissions to the BK Estate and get potentially nothing in return (if it turns out that the case is a 'no-asset' Chapter 7). 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008 04:19:56 PM by Rottweiler »
“This is a court of law, young man, not a court of justice."
~ Olver Wendell Holmes

Pablo

• Valued Member
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008 02:50:11 AM »
So they get your address? 

Roxcyn.......

If folks were to follow your logic on this one (IE) pay "your" debts back little by little, borrowing the money, or filing BK they could easily be screwing themselves.

As with anything there is a process........ The same goes with Debt Collection.......

Is this "debt" past SOL   (if) so by making a payment on it you could renew the SOL 

Is this "debt" valid?   Can the collection agency / jdb provide you with documents that actually prove that you owe this debt and they have the right to collect it.....

Has the collection agency muddied up your CR's with FCRA violations

Has the collection agency followed the FDCPA and all State consumer protection laws while attempting to collect?

And the list goes on and on........

If you enjoy kool-aid and blindly following "instructions" without reason or proof then by all means do as you said......

However if a consumer is interested in fighting for their rights then there are steps they can take .........

DefLepGirl, let's stay at the issue at hand.  Please read the original poster-he says he has too many debts that he cannot afford to pay.  He didn't say anything about them not being valid so he must know (acknowledge) that these are valid debts.  The SOL only applies to credit report it doesn't apply to debt collection with the exception of a few states.  Doesn't the CA send VOD anyway?  That is what is required by FDCPA anyway so I would imagine the letter they are sending is a VOD.  So, it's one thing to not owe the money, it's a totally different thing to skip town without paying the bill which I assume you are suggestion, DefLepGirl. 

However the original poster wasn't talking about that..he was talking about skiptracing and of course if he applies for new DV at BMV I assume someone can get his new address......so if bankruptcy isn't an option or borrowing isn't an option how about paying 5 dollars a week?  And paying back on delinquencies isn't screwing yourself it's outstanding & in collections and since the original person stated he owed these balances (& didn't state anything about fraudulent issue, etc) then they need to be paid back.  However I'll end my discussion here because he was specifically asking about skip tracing.
"Another day, another life / To feed with all that I call mine / Is what it takes, so I go out tonight / Shining lights of crossing cars / An open sky, a million stars / They open up my eyes and this is just because / I feel, I feel so alive"  ~ "Feel Alive" - ATB

Pablo

• Valued Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008 02:54:44 AM »
Well, Rottweiler, if bankruptcy and small payments aren't an option what do you suggest to do when people make bills that they don't pay?  You know when people refuse to pay it is passed on to the consumer that that means the people that don't pay are making the companies raise their prices.  However I'm ending the discussion in regards to payment because the original poster was only focusing on skip tracing.
"Another day, another life / To feed with all that I call mine / Is what it takes, so I go out tonight / Shining lights of crossing cars / An open sky, a million stars / They open up my eyes and this is just because / I feel, I feel so alive"  ~ "Feel Alive" - ATB

DefLepGirl

• Y-E-A-H!
  • Valued Member
    • :0)
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008 03:33:05 AM »
DefLepGirl, let's stay at the issue at hand.  Please read the original poster-he says he has too many debts that he cannot afford to pay.  He didn't say anything about them not being valid so he must know (acknowledge) that these are valid debts.

Even if he does acknowledge them, there are things that come into play....

1.  Does the CA that is currently trying to collect have the right to do so...
2.  Are there any lic./ bonding requirements within the OP's state (if so is the CA in compliance with them)
3.  Is the amount they are trying to collect correct?
4.  Is the CA reporting to the CRA  (if so) are they reporting accurately.....
5.  Have they followed the FDCPA and any State Consumer laws that may apply.....

The SOL only applies to credit report it doesn't apply to debt collection with the exception of a few states

Ummmm  ::)  each state has a SOL which applies to different circumstances (IE) Open, Written, Etc. etc.    If a "Debt" has "legally" expired it doesn't mean they can't "try" to collect but it does mean that if they sue you...........you can bring up time barred as a defense..... (IE) expired SOL

Doesn't the CA send VOD anyway?
    If a "debt" is newer (freshly charged off) it's highly possible that they will provide you with VOD.... If it's older and been passed around it's doubtful...... (In my opinion and experience)

That is what is required by FDCPA anyway so I would imagine the letter they are sending is a VOD.

Allison B. Moon, Chaudry (etc. etc.)   

So, it's one thing to not owe the money, it's a totally different thing to skip town without paying the bill which I assume you are suggestion, DefLepGirl. 

Not at all what I am suggesting..... (see above 1-5)

However the original poster wasn't talking about that..he was talking about skiptracing and of course if he applies for new DV at BMV I assume someone can get his new address......

I wasn't replying to the OP..... I was replying to you :)

so if bankruptcy isn't an option or borrowing isn't an option how about paying 5 dollars a week?

Again, see 1-5 above........

And paying back on delinquencies isn't screwing yourself it's outstanding & in collections and since the original person stated he owed these balances (& didn't state anything about fraudulent issue, etc) then they need to be paid back. 

:::::Pointing up  see 1-5::::::::::

However I'll end my discussion here because he was specifically asking about skip tracing.

:drinking:
~I'm not an attorney (nor) do I play one on the internet.. Take everything I *write* as just my personal opinion and experience~

I love quoting Fleppie / Deflepgirl -  E. Normis  (Ok he actually didn't say it but actions speak louder than words..... or in this case words speak louder oooh whatever he loves it!-

pinklady1275

• Valued Member
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010 11:00:49 AM »
You don't necessarily have to give up your drivers licence.  Considering you are going to a different State, most States will have you test on the new State driving laws to make sure that you are complying with their laws and you are driving safely on their roads before giving you a new license. Some States will allow you to trade in your old drivers license for the new one. Why not keep the old drivers license and test for a new one with a new test. This way you can protect your privacy and your new address.  Just a thought...  :woohoo:

Flyingifr

• -DEAN EMERITUS-
  • Valued Member
  • Welcome to my Temper Tantrum
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010 04:22:43 AM »
You don't necessarily have to give up your drivers licence.  Considering you are going to a different State, most States will have you test on the new State driving laws to make sure that you are complying with their laws and you are driving safely on their roads before giving you a new license. Some States will allow you to trade in your old drivers license for the new one. Why not keep the old drivers license and test for a new one with a new test. This way you can protect your privacy and your new address.  Just a thought...  :woohoo:

That's not what happened when I moved from NY to AZ. They just took my NY license and gave me an AZ license. The only test I took was to see if I could count to $4.00 - has something to do with the Full Faith and Credit clause of the 9th Amendment....
BTW-the Flyingifr Method does work. (quoted from Hannah on Infinite Credit, September 19, 2006)

I think of a telephone as a Debt Collector's crowbar. With such a device it is possible to pry one's mouth open wide enough to allow the insertion of a foot or two.

Debtors Exams are the perfect place for us Senior Citizens to show off our recently acquired Alzheimers.

Founder of the Credit Terrorist Training Camp (Debtorboards)

mysticspirit25

• BANNED
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010 01:40:40 PM »
You can keep your old state license, although it may be illegal in some states.  Just go to your current states DMV/MVA whatever it's called and get a duplicate, tell them you lost it.  Your duplicate should have a newer 5 year exp date on it, turn in your "lost" license to the new state and keep both.  I have a NM, NC, and MD license, and have used all 3 many times when getting speeding tickets, etc, with no problems.  The DMV databases are connected only to make sure you are not revoked or suspended in another state, that's it.  , if you go t Tennessee, you can get an ID or DL if you have a pulse, they don't check legitimacy of docs and just give one to people who can give them $12 dollars.

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010 01:59:16 PM »
In most states, MS25, what you have done is a violation of the law, providing false information to the police.

Yea. you may have had the other states' DLs, but since you no longer live at the address listed on the old DL, providing it in a legal matter would be knowingly offering false information. That's a crime.

Most likely you won't get either caught or hit too hard, but it is a CRIME nonetheless.

Do you always recommend criminal activities?

Admin6572

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010 04:11:11 PM »
Debtorboards neither supports nor recommends the violation of any law.

Members are cautioned to beware of postings such as these as it may cause suspension of your drivers privileges.

mysticspirit25

• BANNED
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010 05:36:41 PM »
CU, I wasn't advocating anybody to commit a crime, and I apologize to everybody if it seemed as I were.  Sure, I may "live on the edge", but I know the boundaries.  I didn't think providing a valid ID card to the police when pulled over was giving them false information, it would be a crime if they asked "do you have any other driver licenses" and you told them no and had one, but when I got duplicates and kept my old ID's for various reasons, the new state never asked if I had more than one.  I just turned in my old one and got a new one.  If asked when I got my ticket, I just told the truth about my current address, no lie to the police.

Now, if this federal driver database ever goes into effect, then it's a dead deal. 

silverzgirl

• Valued Member
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010 06:44:02 PM »
This may have changed, but a long time ago in Washington, they gave you your old license back. They punched holes in it so you can't use it again, kind of like they do with old passports. Florida and Texas both kept the old licenses once you got your new one.
“Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.”  - Sun-Tzu

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. I once thought I was a lawyer when I was litigating in a courtroom, but turns out I just had Patron induced bed spins and dreamed it all. Take my posts with a grain of salt...and a shot of Patron. But not so much you think you are a lawyer.

mysticspirit25

• BANNED
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010 08:52:20 PM »
When I got my NC license, I took the test (yeah they make you take a written test even if you've been driving for 20 years), and gave them my MD license, and they gave it back to me, because I was a new resident to NC, they mailed my NC license to my NC address (I guess to prevent fraud and/or as double proof you live there), so I was given my MD license back by the DMV clerk who never once said what to do with it once I got my NC license....so I kept it.  Not a thing illegal in any way shape or form about that.

maylaur

• Valued Member
  • I donated!!
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010 10:25:15 AM »
This may have changed, but a long time ago in Washington, they gave you your old license back. They punched holes in it so you can't use it again, kind of like they do with old passports. Florida and Texas both kept the old licenses once you got your new one.

WA still punches holes and gives you back your old license. They also print out a paper "temporary" license to use until the official one arrives.

KS cuts the corner off, then returns it to you.  I don't remember for certain, but I think MO does as well.

With the hole in it or the corner cut off, it is obviously an old (INVALID) license.

mysticspirit25, as soon as you acquire the new card in the new state, the old license becomes invalid.  The information is incorrect if you no longer live in that state or at that address.  It may not be illegal to KEEP the old one, but it is not exactly legit to USE it anymore.
Anything I post is from my own personal experience, and might not apply to your own situation. 
I do not offer legal advice; for that, please consult a lawyer.

flacorps

• Valued Member
  • Author of Debt Hope in Trade Paperback
    • Learn to Solve Your Own Debt Problems
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011 10:12:40 PM »
In some states drivers license numbers follow a quite predictable pattern:

http://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/numbers/dl_us_shared.html
"History has taught us that weakness is provocative. To the extent that people see an area of weakness, they will take advantage of it..." - Donald Rumsfeld

http://www.myhopeseries.com

Flyingifr

• -DEAN EMERITUS-
  • Valued Member
  • Welcome to my Temper Tantrum
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011 06:06:35 AM »
Or you could just check the box that says "do not give out my personal information to anyone" that appears on the drivers license application.
BTW-the Flyingifr Method does work. (quoted from Hannah on Infinite Credit, September 19, 2006)

I think of a telephone as a Debt Collector's crowbar. With such a device it is possible to pry one's mouth open wide enough to allow the insertion of a foot or two.

Debtors Exams are the perfect place for us Senior Citizens to show off our recently acquired Alzheimers.

Founder of the Credit Terrorist Training Camp (Debtorboards)

credit