Author Topic: Needing to pull credit reports  (Read 139 times)

BingoFuel

• Valued Member
Needing to pull credit reports
« on: November 11, 2017 06:12:23 PM »
First my apology. This is my first post. I've been a member for a year and half, and a lurker since 2010.  I've been hesitant to post because my first question is so basic and stupid. So hesitant, in fact, that its taken me nearly eight years to write my first post. My credit is terrible. I've got a paid tax lien still on the reports. We recently had our PayPal account hacked, and we've got some old collection stuff to work through. 

I've searched the forum,and read much of Flyingifr's method, but I'm still overwhelmed and confused. 
Here is the question that I've wanted to ask for eight years:
Where should I go to pull my credit reports? I want to regularly, daily even, review all three. Is this possible. I'm an analyst by trade and have taken no action on credit repair because I don't know the answer to this basic question. 

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017 06:19:20 PM by BingoFuel »

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
Re: Needing to pull credit reports
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017 10:04:47 PM »
You are entitled to annual free copies of your reports from all three major reporting agencies.  See:  http://www.annualcreditreport.com.

You can also get free reports when you are denied credit by writing the agency that contributed the report that was used to review your credit history.

Given that it is free, this is something that everyone should do every year.  Note, too, that there are on-line services that monitor your report on a regular basis, although I think the days of pulls every day are long gone.  They are useful for overall trends and for the specific items that the report, but they cannot be used in litigation because they are prototypical hearsay.

BingoFuel

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017 02:40:40 AM »
Thank you for your replay, CleaningUp. We don稚 mind paying for the reports. Is the experian service any good? I was considering doing the $25/Mo thing to view all three plus the scores.

Today I looked at credit karma and the tax lien is not showing up. However, there are now two medical debts from a hospitalization which have medical details on them. I thought HIPAA disallowed that. So what I知 trying to do now is get hard copies of the reports, contest the items, and then figure out how to tell whether or not the CRA is staying within the deadlines they have to meet.

Is it best to order the hard copy by mail? And then order another hard copy by mail after thirty days. I知 trying to take action here, but feel like I知 tripping all over myself. I know I need the reports and am trying to start there.

fisthardcheese

• Valued Member
  • They forced arbitration into your contract. Use it
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017 12:28:22 PM »
Thank you for your replay, CleaningUp. We don稚 mind paying for the reports. Is the experian service any good? I was considering doing the $25/Mo thing to view all three plus the scores.

Today I looked at credit karma and the tax lien is not showing up. However, there are now two medical debts from a hospitalization which have medical details on them. I thought HIPAA disallowed that. So what I知 trying to do now is get hard copies of the reports, contest the items, and then figure out how to tell whether or not the CRA is staying within the deadlines they have to meet.

Is it best to order the hard copy by mail? And then order another hard copy by mail after thirty days. I知 trying to take action here, but feel like I知 tripping all over myself. I know I need the reports and am trying to start there.

When I needed to monitor my credit frequently, I used this method:

Start with the annual free credit report.  There is an 800 number you can call to order all 3 reports from.  I would get hard copies by mail.  These hard copies will  have all of the extra details you will want to see.  After this, I use a free service like credit karma to keep an eye on activity every month (there is no use checking daily, as even paid services usually don't update every day, but at best ever couple weeks - most monthly).

If I see a change on the free service check, I call the CRAs and order another hard copy of my reports.  Check your state laws, many states offer more free reports above the 1 federal free report per year.  When you call the CRAs, you say that you want your free state report.  You can also get free reports for any "adverse action".  New collection reports popping up (or other negative activity) qualifies.  So if you state does not offer more free reports, when you call the CRAs, ask for a free report based on adverse action.

At the peak of my credit repair, I would get about 4 - 6 hard reports by mail each year.  I started working on disputes for the easier ones (old, out of statute collections) and then move to use arbitration (if available) to force the stubborn ones off.
11 Arb Settlements (9 AAA, 2 JAMS)
3 JDB Suits Dismissed With Prejudice (2 pro-se, 1 consumer atty)
3 TCPA Settlements (2 pro-se, 1 consumer atty)
2 FCRA Settlements (consumer atty)
1 FDCPA Settlement (w consumer atty)
1 Small Claims Win (pro-se; Landlord/state consumer law violations)
1 State UDAP Settlement (ITS)
1 Federal PTC Settlement (before hearing; pro-se)

BingoFuel

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017 09:49:16 PM »
When I needed to monitor my credit frequently, I used this method:

Start with the annual free credit report.  There is an 800 number you can call to order all 3 reports from.  I would get hard copies by mail.  These hard copies will  have all of the extra details you will want to see.  After this, I use a free service like credit karma to keep an eye on activity every month (there is no use checking daily, as even paid services usually don't update every day, but at best ever couple weeks - most monthly).

If I see a change on the free service check, I call the CRAs and order another hard copy of my reports.  Check your state laws, many states offer more free reports above the 1 federal free report per year.  When you call the CRAs, you say that you want your free state report.  You can also get free reports for any "adverse action".  New collection reports popping up (or other negative activity) qualifies.  So if you state does not offer more free reports, when you call the CRAs, ask for a free report based on adverse action.

At the peak of my credit repair, I would get about 4 - 6 hard reports by mail each year.  I started working on disputes for the easier ones (old, out of statute collections) and then move to use arbitration (if available) to force the stubborn ones off.

Awesome. Thank you. I値l try that. I知 in South Carolina so I値l check to see if the state gives more options. From what you池e saying I知 guessing it痴 not possible to do daily soft pulls anymore. That helps clarify things and helps me with planning.

Kitten

• Valued Member
    • MCSD
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017 10:32:03 PM »
AFAIK, the daily pulling of credit reports by consumers died 5-10 years ago.
(I believe others can still pull your report as often as they want, as long as they have permissible purpose for doing so)

American Express Credit Secure, Credit Karma, and a couple of others quit allowing daily pulls because people were using daily pulls to flood the database field that contained information on pulls and 'bump' hard pulls off the report (Equifax and TransUnion, bumping didn't seem to work for Experian).

Free Credit Karma will get you a good idea of what's on two of your reports on a monthly basis, which is good enough for most purposes.

credit