Author Topic: Statewide Collections (I Think)  (Read 396 times)

jojo68

• Valued Member
Statewide Collections (I Think)
« on: November 20, 2017 06:11:30 PM »
My son, myself and my brother in law received calls (for me) saying that they needed an address to serve court papers. I know this is not true and I told them if they were going to serve papers then bring it on and that apparently if they are calling my family they know where I work and live and I got hung up on mid sentence. I can not find a legit address for these people to send a cease and desist to. They won't give me any information. They called me elderly mother too and really upset her. If anyone has any info that would be helpful such as an address, please let me know.

The number they called from is a spoofed number 361-208-2768 but the call back number is 844-367-4394. They answered the phone "Statewide" and told me that they don't give out their address.

Thanks in advance. I can't have them calling my mom anymore and upsetting her.

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
Re: Statewide Collections (I Think)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017 06:24:05 PM »
If you are in Utah, they are legit.

http://www.statewideprocessservers.com/

jojo68

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017 06:29:44 PM »
I'm in Texas.

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017 08:10:54 PM »
Apparently legit...

http://www.scp-tx.com/

jojo68

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017 08:36:12 PM »
Thanks for your help. I found it odd for them to call my family when they were able to get ahold of me and to offer a hold off on the service of the legal documents if I called the call back number. I guess I'll wait and see what happens.

Clydesmom66

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017 08:46:40 PM »
My son, myself and my brother in law received calls (for me) saying that they needed an address to serve court papers. I know this is not true and I told them if they were going to serve papers then bring it on and that apparently if they are calling my family they know where I work and live and I got hung up on mid sentence. I can not find a legit address for these people to send a cease and desist to. They won't give me any information. They called me elderly mother too and really upset her. If anyone has any info that would be helpful such as an address, please let me know.

The number they called from is a spoofed number 361-208-2768 but the call back number is 844-367-4394. They answered the phone "Statewide" and told me that they don't give out their address.

Thanks in advance. I can't have them calling my mom anymore and upsetting her.

SCAM!!  They are using a business name that is designed to sound just similar to a legitimate business so that you think they are the same and pay them.

Real process servers do not call and tell you they are coming.  They also do not need an address.  In order for the creditor to file the case they would have had to have  your address to give the court.  Who would be around waiting for the process server?  They also don't refuse to identify themselves.  They could care less if you know where they are.

A google search of 1-800 phone numbers reveals they make this call repeatedly.  Simply tell them you refuse to cooperate.  They are looking for easy prey.  I guarantee you if you ask they would tell you that you can avoid the whole thing for a payment of $400-1000 by money wire or prepaid debit/credit card.  If you were to pay your name gets put on the list and handed off to a buddy who will wait 30-60 days and call again with a new lawsuit threat. 

Simply inform friends and family of the scam and tell them not to panic or pay.  As soon as they figure out it won't work they will move on to other targets.
Be VERY careful following advice from the internet! What worked for someone with thousands of posts on a message board may not work for YOU in your state.  Consult a lawyer when ever possible.

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017 11:11:27 PM »
The OP should ask go a couple of steps further before labeling it a scam...

And it is not unheard of for a process server to contact someone to arrange for service.  It is also not unheard of for them to contact, nor is it illegal, to contact known relatives to attempt to skip-trace individuals that are trying to fly under the radar

I would not dismiss them out of hand.  But, I would agree with Clydesdale's assessment if they ask for payment over the phone that it is highly suspect.

OP would be well advised to look up on her jurisdiction's on-line court access to see if a complaint actually has been filed before going too much further.

If there is nothing there, ask them to go buy a flat and heavy metal plate and find some sand to pound.

jojo68

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017 11:28:34 PM »
I thought that everything was suspicious at first, then when the other poster said it was a legit place and I looked it up I got worried. Then common sense set in and I realized that process servers would never tell you to call a number to prevent them from serving you. They wouldn't need to call in the first place, they would have all the info on you. 
I reported this activity to the FTC and I noticed another person posted in the blog section that the same thing happened to them (maybe even worse) from this same bunch identifying themselves as Statewide..Statewide called 911 using a spoofed number of the person they were harassing and hung up so the sheriff's department called this person back asking why they had called 911..crazy!
I checked with the my county and there have been no papers filed. I also called the office of the process server called Statewide and they have no record of anything with my name on it and that none of the numbers that I have from the calls this morning belong to them.

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017 11:55:15 PM »
Good for you.  You went the extra mile and now are somewhat assured that there's no problem.

I'd file a police report, too, since spoofing a number is now illegal.  Nothing's going to happen until the DA has a raft of complaints on file, but the more the merrier as they say.

They're not really going to get caught because they close up and move quickly if they sense that someone is on their trail...and they do so even when it is not when the well that they are drawing from goes dry.

credit