Author Topic: Disputed debt reported on credit report  (Read 92 times)

mazeru

• Valued Member
Disputed debt reported on credit report
« on: November 14, 2017 02:47:51 AM »
Hey all,

I disputed a debt with the OC as soon as I received the first bill in June of 2016.  They sent a letter in response essentially saying "we got your dispute, we don't agree with it and the billing process will be proceeding despite your dispute".  I never heard another peep from the about the disputed debt until a court summons arrived last month.  I checked my credit report after I received the summons and found out a collection agency (whom I've NEVER heard of or heard from) has reported this alleged debt as in collections on my credit reports.  Is this legal?  Any suggestions on how to deal with this?  Also it is the OC who allegedly filed suit and not the CA who reported the alleged debt on my credit report.  Now it is a collections attorney who is angling to get paid.

Also, how can I find out if the CA is in-house of OC or not?  The only thing I've been able to find about them is that they are licensed in my state, they deal specifically with medical debts, and they have numerous complaints (Medicredit is their name).

Thanks in advance for any input.
If I can fight and bleed for my rights on the battlefield, I sure as heck can do it in court.  They won't be shooting at me in court!

BellEbutton

• Valued Member
Re: Disputed debt reported on credit report
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017 05:12:47 AM »
I checked my credit report after I received the summons and found out a collection agency (whom I've NEVER heard of or heard from) has reported this alleged debt as in collections on my credit reports.  Is this legal?

No.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

You can dispute it just as you did with the OC.

Also it is the OC who allegedly filed suit and not the CA who reported the alleged debt on my credit report.  Now it is a collections attorney who is angling to get paid.

The collection agency was collecting for the OC.   Which collection attorney?  The one representing the OC in the lawsuit?

Also, how can I find out if the CA is in-house of OC or not?  The only thing I've been able to find about them is that they are licensed in my state, they deal specifically with medical debts, and they have numerous complaints (Medicredit is their name).

It appears the company is owned by The Outsource Group.  That would not be an "in-house" collector.

https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapid=216631080

Clydesmom66

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017 04:07:18 PM »
I checked my credit report after I received the summons and found out a collection agency (whom I've NEVER heard of or heard from) has reported this alleged debt as in collections on my credit reports.  Is this legal?  Any suggestions on how to deal with this? 

I disagree with Belle.  It is legal to report this.  Under the new FICO rules medical debt cannot be reported to the bureaus for 6 months to allow for insurance payment and appeals on denials to conclude.  Your care was 2.5 years ago which means they are well outside that 6 month window.  You disputed with the OC (hospital) and they disagree the charges are not correct.  They sued.  You now have to defend and prove as part of your defense the bill is not correct.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? 

Deal with the lawsuit first.  The credit report is the least of your problems right now.
Be VERY careful following advice from the internet! What worked for someone with thousands of posts on a message board may not work for YOU in your state.  Consult a lawyer when ever possible.

BellEbutton

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017 05:35:00 PM »
I checked my credit report after I received the summons and found out a collection agency (whom I've NEVER heard of or heard from) has reported this alleged debt as in collections on my credit reports.  Is this legal?

Thanks for catching that for me, Clydesmom!  :)

I thought the OP asked "is this illegal?"   

So, in answer to your question:  Yes, it is legal.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017 06:51:12 PM by BellEbutton »