Author Topic: Can they serve me the day before Court date?  (Read 83 times)

RitzBitz

• Valued Member
Can they serve me the day before Court date?
« on: November 13, 2017 03:34:38 AM »
Hey there. I have been searching but can't dig up the info. I know in Florida that a summons for small claims court is good for 120 days. First proceeding is a pre-trial conference.

What I can't find is how soon before the court date service of process must take place. Does anyone know?

I just don't want to get this the day before and not have time to officially prepare.

Clydesmom66

• Valued Member
Re: Can they serve me the day before Court date?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017 03:43:39 PM »
Hey there. I have been searching but can't dig up the info. I know in Florida that a summons for small claims court is good for 120 days. First proceeding is a pre-trial conference.

What I can't find is how soon before the court date service of process must take place. Does anyone know?

I just don't want to get this the day before and not have time to officially prepare.

Yes they can serve you the day before but that hearing would have to be rescheduled as you have 20-30 days to file an answer.  Once you are served with the initial summons most states require you file an answer within 20-30 days from that date of service.  Any pre-scheduled hearing date would have to be pushed back to accommodate that time frame.
Be VERY careful following advice from the internet! What worked for someone with thousands of posts on a message board may not work for YOU in your state.  Consult a lawyer when ever possible.