Author Topic: How to handle the "stolen tax refund check" scenario?  (Read 108 times)

flaccito

• Valued Member
How to handle the "stolen tax refund check" scenario?
« on: November 06, 2017 06:01:57 PM »
Asking for a female relative. Basically someone (not her) apparently cashed her refund check from a few years back, the check was for >$3k. At the time she was using a small-time shady tax preparer in a bad part of town, so not sure if that's part of it, but we suspect it might be.

Any ideas on what to do? According to the IRS representative the check WAS issued and it WAS cashed, by somebody. But they wouldn't say anything else, just directed her to write a letter to some other government agency called the "fiscal bureau" or something like that. I've always warned her to avoid using those small-time operation tax guys, but she INSISTS because it's cheaper and "they get me much more refund money" (which i assume is through lying on the forms/fudging numbers, because this family member has been audited like twice over the last 5 years). So now, due to her cheap-ness, she's stuck in the giant MESS that is "waiting for 'them' to do something about it" (which we all know takes forever).

<Removed> But i notice a lot of these poorer/lower class people don't mind taking chances on their taxes just to save a measly $50-$80 in fees.

I guess the saying is true, "you get what you pay for"  1215

Admin Note:  Recommendation for a commercial service removed.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017 08:19:05 PM by Admin0248 »

Moonshine Maker

• Valued Member
Re: How to handle the "stolen tax refund check" scenario?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017 03:50:38 AM »
What address was on the tax form or was this a ral? Was it her address?

flaccito

• Valued Member
Re: How to handle the "stolen tax refund check" scenario?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017 04:29:39 AM »
What address was on the tax form or was this a ral? Was it her address?

It was just her usual address, and it was written correctly on the tax forms (no spelling errors etc).

credit