Author Topic: Convergent claims they have validated a debt!  (Read 237 times)

BellEbutton

• Valued Member
Re: Convergent claims they have validated a debt!
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017 04:00:14 PM »
Per Convergent's letter I think they're collecting on behalf of Comenity since they're listing Comenity as both the original AND current creditor. No mention of Cavalry

No.  The FDCPA requires them to list the OC.   That doesn't mean their client is Commenity.

YYaWannaNO

• Valued Member
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017 04:04:06 PM »
Ok.  So the OC doesn't mean that's the "client", got it.  Well as long as they're not reporting on my credit report, I'll leave them alone for now. Thanks for your input Bell!

BellEbutton

• Valued Member
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017 04:06:09 PM »
Ok.  So the OC doesn't mean that's the "client", got it.  Well as long as they're not reporting on my credit report, I'll leave them alone for now. Thanks for your input Bell!

Again, you need to find out for who Convergent is collecting.  If it's not Cavalry, you could have a defense regarding Cavalry's standing to sue AND a possible FDCPA violation.

YYaWannaNO

• Valued Member
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017 04:07:31 PM »
If I send Convergent a letter asking for this info are they obligated to answer?  I don't want to accidently re-start the clock by communicating with them

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017 04:34:05 PM »
A point that you need to understand...

A credit report is hear-say except in cases that directly relate to the accuracy of the credit report.

Don't put much credence on anything you see in one of the as evidence supporting something else.

BellEbutton

• Valued Member
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017 04:49:15 PM »
If I send Convergent a letter asking for this info are they obligated to answer?  I don't want to accidently re-start the clock by communicating with them

Check your state laws, but inquiring about a debt is not usually considered a promise to pay.

No, they would not be required to answer your letter.  Most people say not to call a debt collector, but I've done it before.  If you were to choose to do so, you'd have to be very careful not to admit to anything.  If I were calling, I'd simply state that I received a collection letter, requested validation, and have received their response.  While they've named an original creditor, they do not state for which business they are collecting.  I would like to know the identity of the business that hired them to collect the alleged debt. 

Again, that's just me.  Some other posters may have other suggestions.

credit