Author Topic: Convergent claims they have validated a debt!  (Read 925 times)

YYaWannaNO

• Valued Member
Convergent claims they have validated a debt!
« on: October 03, 2017 03:02:01 PM »
So last month Convergent sent me a letter claiming I owe $800 and change from Paypal Bill Me Later.  I sent them a letter disputing the account and yesterday I received from them old billing data of paypal purchases made in 2011 & 2012.  The account # and the amount do not match anything on my credit report.  to top it off I'm also being sued by Cavalry For Paypal/GE Capital Retail Bank for a different amount that's not on my credit report. I have two JDBs coming at me for ONE account for different amounts!  So my question is, if the "validation" I received isn't in fact "valid", how do I fight this?

• Valued Member
Re: Convergent claims they have validated a debt!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017 03:08:51 PM »
Nothing you can do to fight it at this stage.  Send them a cease and desist letter, and if they decide to pursue litigation that is when the fight begins.

BellEbutton

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017 03:12:33 PM »
So last month Convergent sent me a letter claiming I owe $800 and change from Paypal Bill Me Later.  I sent them a letter disputing the account and yesterday I received from them old billing data of paypal purchases made in 2011 & 2012.  The account # and the amount do not match anything on my credit report.  to top it off I'm also being sued by Cavalry For Paypal/GE Capital Retail Bank for a different amount that's not on my credit report. I have two JDBs coming at me for ONE account for different amounts!  So my question is, if the "validation" I received isn't in fact "valid", how do I fight this?

We need more details.   

Who is reporting on your CR?  The OC or the JDB?  JDB account numbers will be different from OC account numbers.  Also, debts accrue interest, so that can explain why the balance doesn't match that on your CR.

Who are the 2 JDBs going after you for the same debt?

Where are you located and what is the SOL in your state?

BellEbutton

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017 03:13:05 PM »
Nothing you can do to fight it at this stage.  Send them a cease and desist letter, and if they decide to pursue litigation that is when the fight begins.

I wouldn't send a C&D if the debt is within the SOL.

YYaWannaNO

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017 03:22:00 PM »
We need more details.   

Who is reporting on your CR?  The OC or the JDB?  JDB account numbers will be different from OC account numbers.  Also, debts accrue interest, so that can explain why the balance doesn't match that on your CR.  Both JDB and OC  Cavalry is reporting for an amount a little over $1000 AND they are suing me.  SYNCB/PaypalSmartConnection is reporting and amount of $796.  They're also reporting as Transferred/Sold to another agency. 

Who are the 2 JDBs going after you for the same debt?  Convergent and Cavalry

Where are you located and what is the SOL in your state? Illinois SOL 5 years.  Actually this debt is past SOL as of August.

BellEbutton

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017 03:31:38 PM »
  Both JDB and OC  Cavalry is reporting for an amount a little over $1000 AND they are suing me.  SYNCB/PaypalSmartConnection is reporting and amount of $796.  They're also reporting as Transferred/Sold to another agency. 

As previously stated, debts can accrue interest. 

Convergent and Cavalry

Convergent is not a JDB.  It's only a collection agency.  It could have been hired by Cavalry to collect.

Illinois SOL 5 years.  Actually this debt is past SOL as of August.

Did you make any payments on the debt?  When were you sued?

YYaWannaNO

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017 03:32:02 PM »
I might also add that Convergent is saying that the OC is Commenity Bank.  Cavalry is saying it's GE Capital

YYaWannaNO

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017 03:34:13 PM »
I did not make payment on the debt.  The last payment was Aug 20, 2012.  Cavalry filed a suit against me April 2017

BellEbutton

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017 03:38:12 PM »
I might also add that Convergent is saying that the OC is Commenity Bank.  Cavalry is saying it's GE Capital

I believe that GE took over Commenity accounts (or the other way around).

I did not make payment on the debt.  The last payment was Aug 20, 2012.  Cavalry filed a suit against me April 2017

Filing a lawsuit tolls the SOL.

YYaWannaNO

• Valued Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017 03:39:28 PM »
I believe that GE took over Commenity accounts (or the other way around).

Filing a lawsuit tolls the SOL.

So Cavalry can sue me AND hire a collection agency for the SAME debt?

BellEbutton

• Valued Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017 03:41:54 PM »
So Cavalry can sue me AND hire a collection agency for the SAME debt?

There's really no law that says they can't.

Do you have any other outstanding debts for which Convergent might be collecting?

YYaWannaNO

• Valued Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017 03:45:14 PM »
There's really no law that says they can't. Well that sucks!  :(

Do you have any other outstanding debts for which Convergent might be collecting?
  Fortunately no.  Can I assume on Convergent's side that they can't sue because of the SOL?

YYaWannaNO

• Valued Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017 03:48:15 PM »
I might also add that when Cavalry sued me all they attached was an affidavit claim.  They didn't attached any back up to this debt. So I don't even have an account number from them.  But that might need a separate thread!  :)

BellEbutton

• Valued Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017 03:52:27 PM »
  Fortunately no.  Can I assume on Convergent's side that they can't sue because of the SOL?

CAs rarely sue because they're collecting for another party.  Convergent won't sue because Cavalry is already suing for the debt.

As long as you're sure it's the same debt, it would be interesting to find out for which business Convergent claims it's collecting.  If it claims it's collecting for any business other than Cavalry, you could have something.

I might also add that when Cavalry sued me all they attached was an affidavit claim.  They didn't attached any back up to this debt. So I don't even have an account number from them.  But that might need a separate thread!

Yes, that could be a separate thread.  On that note, unless your court rules require they attach more, they didn't need to attach anything else.  Their complaint should have provided an account number.  Start another thread.

YYaWannaNO

• Valued Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017 03:57:08 PM »
Per Convergent's letter I think they're collecting on behalf of Comenity since they're listing Comenity as both the original AND current creditor. No mention of Cavalry

credit