Author Topic: Lawfirm letter signed by non-atty  (Read 518 times)

The Litigator

• Valued Member
  • So, sue me.
Lawfirm letter signed by non-atty
« on: June 06, 2017 11:28:26 PM »
I have a dv response letter from a big time area collection firm that looked a little odd to me.

While a collection atty apparently wrote and signed the first contact letter, a close look at the dv response shows it was signed by a Mr. Blah "J.D. Admission Pending".

Does anyone think that is deception since it is on lawfirm letterhead?

One would think an atty wrote that letter? No?

Clydesmom66

• Valued Member
Re: Lawfirm letter signed by non-atty
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017 11:47:17 PM »
Does anyone think that is deception since it is on lawfirm letterhead?

NO.

One would think an atty wrote that letter? No?

An attorney DID write that letter.  J.D. = Juris Doctorate.  He graduated law school.  That makes him a lawyer.  "Admission Pending" means his admission to the bar after passing the exam is in progress.  It is a VERY accurate representation of his status.
Be VERY careful following advice from the internet! What worked for someone with thousands of posts on a message board may not work for YOU in your state.  Consult a lawyer when ever possible.

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
Re: Lawfirm letter signed by non-atty
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017 01:41:53 PM »
  "If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector."

Notice it just says "debt collector." Anybody who works there can mail you verification. If there was a threat of litigation, that would be different.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

credit