Author Topic: Being Sued by Portfolio Recovery in California with the Trial Date in Two Weeks!  (Read 378 times)

• Valued Member
Hi. This is my first post here. I've been searching high and low for help regarding a  lawsuit filed against me by Portfolio Recovery Associates in Los Angeles County, and I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. I'm unable to afford an attorney, but my research has shown me that you can defend yourself on these cases, and actually have a decent shot of winning. After they initially served me, I figured out how to respond to their summons, and I did so with about as many affirmative defenses as I could find. Unfortunately, I missed the discovery phase and only started paying attention to the case again a couple of weeks ago when they served me with their witnesses "testament in lieu of live testimony." I know that I need to subpoena their witness, and I need to do it quick (trial is on the 6th of June), but I've never served a subpoena before, and I'd really like to do it right - could someone point me in the right direction? 

Bruno the JDB Killer

Learn to read your court rules. Everything is there.

You should have filed for private arbitration if the agreement had it. That's how you beat PRA. You can still try if you haven't gotten too far into litigation. There is a template somewhere here on DB for the Motion to Compel. (MTC)
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.