Author Topic: CR still listing an account that's been closed by PRA  (Read 303 times)

MTBeth

• Valued Member
CR still listing an account that's been closed by PRA
« on: May 16, 2017 03:01:02 AM »
I disputed an account over 6 months ago (Portfolio Recovery on a GE Capital/Amazon account) and received a letter from PRA (see attached) stating that they closed the account. This is STILL showing up on my CRs though. Do I just dispute it again with the credit bureaus with this letter as evidence, or is this some type of violation that it's still showing up on my CR over 6 months later?

Clydesmom66

• Valued Member
Re: CR still listing an account that's been closed by PRA
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017 03:21:09 AM »
I disputed an account over 6 months ago (Portfolio Recovery on a GE Capital/Amazon account) and received a letter from PRA (see attached) stating that they closed the account. This is STILL showing up on my CRs though. Do I just dispute it again with the credit bureaus with this letter as evidence, or is this some type of violation that it's still showing up on my CR over 6 months later?

Closing the account does not mean they will stop reporting.  It only means they will stop dunning you.  Unless there are errors in their reporting i.e. the status is open vs. closed then as long as it is accurate it stays.
Be VERY careful following advice from the internet! What worked for someone with thousands of posts on a message board may not work for YOU in your state.  Consult a lawyer when ever possible.

MTBeth

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017 03:45:02 AM »
Closing the account does not mean they will stop reporting.  It only means they will stop dunning you.  Unless there are errors in their reporting i.e. the status is open vs. closed then as long as it is accurate it stays.

Wow, ok. Apparently I have a lot left to learn about how all of this works. I disputed the account because it is truly not mine (never had an account with them). I've fully admitted here that I defaulted on 12 credit cards, so have no reason to try to worm my way out of this one (especially seeing it was only for 1k) had it truly been my account. When PRA sent me that letter stating they were closing the account (and listed the balance as $0) I incorrectly believed this was fully resolved.

Please explain to me how they can send me a letter showing the balance as $0, yet still be reporting to the credit bureau a balance of a little over 1k?

Clydesmom66

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017 05:08:45 AM »
Wow, ok. Apparently I have a lot left to learn about how all of this works. I disputed the account because it is truly not mine (never had an account with them). I've fully admitted here that I defaulted on 12 credit cards, so have no reason to try to worm my way out of this one (especially seeing it was only for 1k) had it truly been my account. When PRA sent me that letter stating they were closing the account (and listed the balance as $0) I incorrectly believed this was fully resolved.

Please explain to me how they can send me a letter showing the balance as $0, yet still be reporting to the credit bureau a balance of a little over 1k?

If they are still reporting that balance you can send the letter to the CRAs but all they are required to do is correct the balance to zero and status to closed.  They are not required to delete the trade line.
Be VERY careful following advice from the internet! What worked for someone with thousands of posts on a message board may not work for YOU in your state.  Consult a lawyer when ever possible.

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017 12:52:54 PM »
You have to stay on them; they buy tens of thousands of these accounts. Send them a certified letter stating that if they do not correct the balance you'll sue them for FCRA and FDCPA violations.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.