Author Topic: Reliant Capital Solutions...any advice?  (Read 2870 times)

fullspeedahead17

• Valued Member
Reliant Capital Solutions...any advice?
« on: May 15, 2017 04:10:03 AM »
This is what is going on.

I got a scholarship/loan from an old university I attended around 6-7 years ago. The debt may be past the SOL.

The debt was never reported on my credit report. Here is where it gets complicated: My old university won't give me my transcript . I cannot continue my education without obtaining that and paying off the debt. Despite the debt being past the SOL, I need to get it taken care of still.

I attempted around a year ago to arrange a payment plan with the university or make a settlement. They did not agree to what I wanted. I could not afford what they wanted me to pay.

They sent my account to Reliant Capital Solutions. Does anyone know anything about them? I am nervous that they might try to sue me or they might be sending information to an old address. I avoid talking to JDB at any cost. I tried giving them my current address through their communication portal (not admitting that I owed anything), but they never sent me any correspondence. They have called though.

Any advice would be helpful! I want to settle this debt in the near future but I'm afraid that even attempting will have a bad result.

Clydesmom66

• Valued Member
Re: Reliant Capital Solutions...any advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017 04:16:16 AM »
I got a scholarship/loan from an old university I attended around 6-7 years ago. The debt may be past the SOL.

What state was this in and are you still in that state?
My old university won't give me my transcript . I cannot continue my education without obtaining that and paying off the debt. Despite the debt being past the SOL, I need to get it taken care of still.

Standard university policy (and pretty much uniform among all of them) to do this.  The SOL does not apply to their ability to with hold the transcript until you pay the debt.  The SOL only applies to being able to report it to the bureaus and use the courts to collect. 

Utility companies can do the same thing.  If you have an old balance they can refuse to open a new account until you settle it even if it is past the SOL.

They sent my account to Reliant Capital Solutions. Does anyone know anything about them?

Reliant is apparently a bottom feeder debt collector with no morals or scruples.  Deal directly with the university to straighten this out.

Be VERY careful following advice from the internet! What worked for someone with thousands of posts on a message board may not work for YOU in your state.  Consult a lawyer when ever possible.

fullspeedahead17

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017 04:27:07 AM »
What state was this in and are you still in that state?

The debt originated in NY. I am in MI now.

Clydesmom66

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017 06:15:23 AM »
The debt originated in NY. I am in MI now.

If it isn't beyond the SOL it is pretty darn close.  I would lay low until you can confirm for certain that the SOL of 6 years in MI is expired.

Was this a public or private university? 
Be VERY careful following advice from the internet! What worked for someone with thousands of posts on a message board may not work for YOU in your state.  Consult a lawyer when ever possible.

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017 01:25:31 PM »
Reliant is a private collection agency with connections to both federal and state departments of education. They are not a JDB according to what is available about them. They do not appear to be the typical bottom feeder, but who knows.

I cannot continue my education without obtaining that and paying off the debt.

And that is their leverage against you. How much is the loan?
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017 05:31:07 PM »
Basic questions you need to answer for us...

Is this a private loan or a government backed one?  Was it a state university or a private one?

fullspeedahead17

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017 03:32:33 AM »
Basic questions you need to answer for us...

Is this a private loan or a government backed one?  Was it a state university or a private one?

Private loan. The university is a private university.

The loan is around 10k-12k now.

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017 01:13:39 PM »
Oh, I remember you. You're about 100K ahead on cancelled student loans. FERPA requires them to allow you to view your records. (they don't have to give you certified copies)  I don't know how they do this or if they stand there and watch you like a hawk, or if they have a copy machine handy. Gee, you might just have a cell phone with you with a camera. I don't know if that would satisfy another college, but it's worth a shot.

http://www.finaid.org/educators/ferpa.phtml
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

Clydesmom66

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017 02:22:00 PM »
I don't know how they do this or if they stand there and watch you like a hawk, or if they have a copy machine handy. Gee, you might just have a cell phone with you with a camera. I don't know if that would satisfy another college, but it's worth a shot.

The colleges have a process by which you view them on a screen and there is no way to print it.  It is a protected file that requires administrative access to print it.  Records are digital unless a print request is made from the student or another institution. 

NO, a cell phone picture will not satisfy another college.  In order for the records to be valid they must be a certified copy that goes directly from the former college to the new one.  That is to ensure the records have not been altered or modified in any way.  When I moved to another state and transferred schools I thought I could simply carry the records with me and found out quickly that this would never happen.  Some schools are even set up to transfer the digital files directly to the new school without ever having to print anything. 

The OP will have to settle this debt if they want their records.  There is no way around it. 

credit