Author Topic: Verizon sent me 3x credit balance bill, and then to collections  (Read 1688 times)

somags

• Valued Member
I opened and cancelled service with Verizon for a month, since I did not like their service.

I received bills stating the account was cancelled, and three bills after showing a $250 credit, the latest being April 20th.  I assumed I'd eventually get a check since service was cancelled and the bill showed I was due money.  Today I received a letter from IC System that Verizon has sent my account to collections for $22.28.  Never once did they send a bill showing a balance due. 

I realize I should send a letter asking them to validate the debt, but do I have any recourse in getting the credit balance back? 

Anything I can do beyond disputing?  I'd love to send Verizon to collections with their own bills.

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
Re: Verizon sent me 3x credit balance bill, and then to collections
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017 02:55:13 PM »
It's probably the early cancellation penalty which ate up your credit. It's probably in the contract, doubtful you can do much about it. "Not liking" their service isn't enough; you'd have to prove they did not deliver what was promised.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

somags

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017 03:35:28 PM »
That is not the case.  I purchased the phone at full retail and did not sign a contract.

Clydesmom66

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017 03:39:45 PM »
That is not the case.  I purchased the phone at full retail and did not sign a contract.

Go back and read your service agreement.  Even if there wasn't a contract for a year or two there is still often a cancellation fee of several hundred dollars.  You also need a copy of the billing statements from Verizon.  Find out what they are claiming the debits and credits are.
Be VERY careful following advice from the internet! What worked for someone with thousands of posts on a message board may not work for YOU in your state.  Consult a lawyer when ever possible.

somags

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017 03:43:46 PM »
That's the problem.  All of the last three statements show a credit balance from my final payment after my disconnect.
Never once did I receive a bill with an amount due.  The last three months show a credit balance, and then collections.

The most recent statement was April 20th, there are no new statements.

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017 04:07:24 PM »
You had to sign something to get access to their network. They don't hand you a phone and let you using without your siggy on something. I've never heard of them doing that. There has to be a monthly charge or they'd be out of business.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

fisthardcheese

• Valued Member
  • They forced arbitration into your contract. Use it
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017 12:38:30 PM »
File arbitration against both Verizon and IC Systems.
11 Arb Settlements (9 AAA, 2 JAMS)
3 JDB Suits Dismissed With Prejudice (2 pro-se, 1 consumer atty)
3 TCPA Settlements (2 pro-se, 1 consumer atty)
2 FCRA Settlements (consumer atty)
1 FDCPA Settlement (w consumer atty)
1 Small Claims Win (pro-se; Landlord/state consumer law violations)
1 State UDAP Settlement (ITS)
1 Federal PTC Settlement (before hearing; pro-se)

somags

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017 05:06:55 PM »
I'm sending a Debt Validation letter to IC Systems requesting arbitration in it.

Verizon requires 30 days notice before arbitration before I can file.  Should I use their form, or just put together a letter essentially saying "here is your notice."

I couldn't find anything showing what that letter should look like.

Ultimately I just want the collections erased, and to claim any damages I'm due in the process.

Notifying their legal office should get the ball rolling on an out of court settlement, and if I could see $500 and collections deleted, that'd be fine with me.

BrokeBob

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017 05:16:44 PM »
You can use their form. 

They will contact you soon if you send them the notice.  You may not like their response, but they will contact you. 

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017 06:23:47 PM »
Notifying their legal office should get the ball rolling on an out of court settlement, and if I could see $500 and collections deleted, that'd be fine with me.

You're dreaming. You haven't given us one detail that proves Verizon did anything wrong. If you can't convince us, how will you convince a judge or arbitration panel, which is made up of former judges?

Once your account is closed for non-payment, they don't have to send you statements unless they intend to continue charging interest, which isn't worth it for this amount. The postage to mail you the statement would be more than the interest.

I opened and cancelled service with Verizon for a month

I purchased the phone at full retail and did not sign a contract.

Which is it? You had to sign for the service.

somags

• Valued Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017 06:32:14 PM »
These things aren't mutually exclusive.  I opened service and got a phone, which was billed monthly for a total of $300 over 2 years.  I then immediately paid the phone off (the $300), and there was no contract signed.  The only liability was the monthly service for the time active, and the phone, both of which were paid off.

They then sent me 3 bills stating I was owed a credit of $250.

My account was never closed for non-payment, it was cancelled by me, and had a credit balance.  They sent it to collections after sending me a bill showing they owed me $250 last month.

The wrongdoing is reporting a delinquent debt that was in fact never owed.  All of their own statements said they owed me $250.

As an aside, the wave of the future with cell phone providers is having you pay in installments, or bringing your own device, thus not signing a contract for service, and you are month to month.  The ETF doesn't really exist anymore, it is just a payoff of the amount financed for your phone.  None of that is relevant to my situation, but FYI.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017 06:37:01 PM by somags »

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017 06:41:19 PM »
You need to read the fine print on everything they gave you, monthly invoices included. You may have agreed to a termination fee without even knowing it.

I opened and cancelled service with Verizon for a month, since I did not like their service.

I opened service and got a phone, which was billed monthly for a total of $300 over 2 years

Contradiction after contradiction. None of this squares up. We need to see the rest of the facts before we can help you. Find out how the balance changed.

somags

• Valued Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017 06:50:38 PM »
Here's the program details:

How does Verizon device payments work?

Monthly device payments provide you the flexibility to get the most current devices by making monthly payments over time rather than paying for it all up front. You'll make a monthly payment until your device is paid off.

The program requires you to enter a device installment agreement to pay for the device in monthly payments over 24 months.
There is a one-time $30 activation fee when you activate a new line through the device payment program.
There is a $30 upgrade fee when you add a new device to an existing line through the device payment program.
The specific terms and payment amounts can be found in your first bill and your device payment installment agreement.
Your monthly device payments will be charged on your bill.
You can choose to pay the installments over the full period of the term or in a lump sum to pay off the total price at any time.

I have confirmed it was a month to month plan.

First bill, service, paid off phone.

Second bill, credit balance, same with the third and fourth.  All marked do not pay.  Then collections.  It doesn't make sense, but this is Verizon's billing practices, so hopefully you'll give me the benefit of the doubt.

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017 07:42:04 PM »
The specific terms and payment amounts can be found in your first bill and your device payment installment agreement.

Do these docs have a penalty for early cancellation? You need to find out why the balance changed; we can't do it  for you. We have to go by the facts and known precedence from this company.

somags

• Valued Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017 07:50:50 PM »
No, there is no penalty for early cancellation.  That would have billed my second statement, since the account was cancelled after the first.  Regardless, THERE IS NO PENALTY FOR EARLY CANCELLATION.  This was a month to month agreement.

Answer me this, is the company required to send me accurate billing?  Because I have yet to receive anything other than the collections notice to tell me there is a balance I owe them.

All of the bills I have received have a credit balance, they owe me.   I haven't missed any bills, the most recent was in April.

I'm sending a request for validation of the debt, so I suppose collections may get me that answer.  I haven't received anything that shows any amount due other than the first, which I paid.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017 08:02:00 PM by somags »