Author Topic: TransUnion Account Numbers Masked and Scrambled  (Read 594 times)

splash

• Valued Member
TransUnion Account Numbers Masked and Scrambled
« on: May 03, 2017 09:50:10 PM »
According to FCRA 1681g(a): "Every consumer reporting agency shall, upon request, and subject to section 1681h(a)(1) of this title, clearly and accurately disclose to the consumer:(1) All information in the consumerís file at the time of the request, except tható
(A) if the consumer to whom the file relates requests that the first 5 digits of the social security number (or similar identification number) of the consumer not be included in the disclosure and the consumer reporting agency has received appropriate proof of the identity of the requester, the consumer reporting agency shall so truncate such number in such disclosure; and..." 

How then is it, that TransUnion has sent me a paid copy of my credit file with my social security number truncated when I did not request the truncation"?  And state that "your account numbers have been partially masked, and in some cases scrambled."  It appears to me that TransUnion is violating FCRA 1681g(a) since both a masked and scrambled account number deprives me of my right to "clear and accurate" information.  I am dealing with a collection agency that has fraudulently changed the account number so many times in communications with me that it will make your head spin.  How then does TransUnion expect the consumer to determine the correctness or falsity of a tradeline if the account number is not stated fully and correctly?  This is unacceptable!  It is my opinion that TransUnion is enabling fraud!

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
Re: TransUnion Account Numbers Masked and Scrambled
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017 09:58:51 PM »
There is  a statute that requires them to only use a few digits. Go look it up. It's not the FCRA.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

splash

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017 12:18:15 AM »
Thanks.  I will try to find it.   Notwithstanding, are you aware of a statute that allows a CRA to scramble account numbers?  Again, how is a consumer to determine the correctness or falsity of a stated account number, if the number is unrecognizable.  In that case the account number field may well be left blank as the scrambling of numbers renders the information unclear and inaccurate.

splash

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017 12:35:37 AM »
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/slip-showing-federal-law-requires-all-businesses-truncate

The only statute I have found so far deals with the truncation of numbers on a receipt under the laws of FACTA. 

My credit file cannot be defined as a receipt.

BellEbutton

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017 12:48:08 AM »
From the Transunion website:

Why doesn't the account number shown on my credit report match my statement/loan document?

The account numbers shown on your credit report are reported by each creditor. For security purposes, creditors may report scrambled or truncated account numbers. Therefore, the numbers on your credit report may be different from the numbers on the actual card or account.

The CRA can only report what's provided to it.  If the furnisher is scrambling the account number, Transunion can't change it.

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017 01:26:06 PM »
You would probably have to make some sort of formal written request to whoever is reporting and ask them for the actual account number. That should be fun.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

splash

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017 11:20:54 PM »
Hmmm...interesting.  TransUnion has admitted that they are providing unclear and inaccurate account numbers with their disclosure...again scrambled numbers are not clear and accurate information...but a violation of the FCRA instead.  My opinion is that TransUnion posted the disclosure on the website for CONSENT.  If the consumer does not object, then they have accepted the scrambled numbers.

I have a right to clear and accurate information.  I did not request or authorize the use of scrambled numbers in my file.  My belief is that the practice, allows TransUnion to enable scammers to fraudulently  enter bogus account numbers on the guise of security.    I have no intention of contacting bogus creditors.

If the furnisher cannot provide an unscrambled number then they have no business reporting to the credit bureaus.  The furnisher also has a duty to provide accurate information under the FCRA;  and  if TransUnion cannot disclose the unscrambled number then the tradeline is inaccurate and unverified and should be removed from my credit file. 

I intend to demand that TransUnion provide me my credit file with clear and accurate account numbers.  No scramble account numbers nonsense.

BellEbutton

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017 11:36:30 PM »
Hmmm...interesting.  TransUnion has admitted that they are providing unclear and inaccurate account numbers with their disclosure...again scrambled numbers are not clear and accurate information...but a violation of the FCRA instead.  My opinion is that TransUnion posted the disclosure on the website for CONSENT.  If the consumer does not object, then they have accepted the scrambled numbers.

I have a right to clear and accurate information.  I did not request or authorize the use of scrambled numbers in my file.  My belief is that the practice, allows TransUnion to enable scammers to fraudulently  enter bogus account numbers on the guise of security.    I have no intention of contacting bogus creditors.

If the furnisher cannot provide an unscrambled number then they have no business reporting to the credit bureaus.  The furnisher also has a duty to provide accurate information under the FCRA;  and  if TransUnion cannot disclose the unscrambled number then the tradeline is inaccurate and unverified and should be removed from my credit file. 

I intend to demand that TransUnion provide me my credit file with clear and accurate account numbers.  No scramble account numbers nonsense.

Transunion is only admitting that it is providing what the creditor provided.   Your argument is with the furnisher.

splash

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017 12:23:26 AM »
Thank you... I agree that I have an argument with the furnisher.  However, I do not have a relationship with the furnisher. 

I purchased my credit "file" from TransUnion, so I  will take my argument to them for unscrambled account numbers. 

Oh, by the way, I do not have any negatives on my credit report.  The collector is reporting that the alleged changing accounts belong to other changing entities and are being paid on time.  Yet, collector sends me delinquent notices.  I repeat TransUnion is enabling fraud.  Just my experience, my opinion

splash

• Valued Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017 12:42:35 AM »
And I never made a payment on any of the alleged changing account numbers.  Fraud! Fraud! Fraud! 

When I dispute, the account number and/or the creditor's name changes.  Fraud! Fraud! Fraud! 

It is my right to know what the unscrambled number is from the start. 

Hope one can see how this fraudulent mess could go on forever.  When I disputed account number 12345678 with furnisher, the furnisher updated to 45678XXX, then disputed with furnisher again this time for 45678XXX, then furnisher abbreviated/altered the tradeline name and changed account number to 8123XXXX.  This was done among the 3 major cras.  TransUnion is the only one that I saw with the scrambled account number disclosure.

I won't give consent to scrambled account numbers.

BellEbutton

• Valued Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017 12:55:51 AM »

Oh, by the way, I do not have any negatives on my credit report.

No negatives?  Then what exactly are you whining about?

splash

• Valued Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017 12:58:03 AM »
And to top it off, the collector is not licensed to practice in my state.  The collector is therefore practicing as a "felon" according to my state law.   

splash

• Valued Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017 01:20:51 AM »
I am whinning because TransUnion and other CRA's are allowing the felonious collector to report fraudulent accounts in my credit file.  If I were to attempt to make a big credit purchase, then the fraudulent reported account balances would most likely be factored into my debt ratio and drive down my FICO.  Not good!

BellEbutton

• Valued Member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017 01:26:29 AM »
I am whinning because TransUnion and other CRA's are allowing the felonious collector to report fraudulent accounts in my credit file.  If I were to attempt to make a big credit purchase, then the fraudulent reported account balances would most likely be factored into my debt ratio and drive down my FICO.  Not good!

Have you filed an ID theft report with the credit reporting agencies and that the police?

splash

• Valued Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017 01:42:52 AM »
No.  This matter goes well beyond identity theft.  It involves crimes of extortion, harassment, fraud and more.  And that is one of the reasons I want the unscrambled account numbers...