Author Topic: AllianceOne for Sprint  (Read 676 times)

fg2000

• Valued Member
AllianceOne for Sprint
« on: May 02, 2017 06:55:47 PM »
I've been assisting a friend of mine who has been dealing with a Sprint issue for over a year.

Here is the timeline of events:
1. She has had a Sprint account since 1999
2. On 2/10/16, she received a call from a Sprint store in Florida (she lives in CA) that someone was attempting to purchase various equipment against her account
3. On 2/10/16, she had a fraud alert placed on her account
4. Sprint initiated the fraud investigation
5. On 4/6/16, her line was shut off by Sprint for non-payment (even though the fraud department had not completed their investigation). However, since she needed her phone, she paid the minimum due to keep the line open
6. On 8/10/16, she received a Dunning letter from IC System claiming that the debt was placed for collection by Sprint
7. We mailed out a DV letter, waited the 30 days, and lo and behold, on the 30th day, IC System closed their file
8. Today, 5/2/17, she received a call from AllianceOne about her Sprint debt. She has not received a Dunning letter from them either.

Now, Sprint still has not sent any information regarding the disposition of their fraud investigation, so are we correct to assume that it is still open?

What is the best way to proceed with AllianceOne? Just DV and wait out the 30 days?

Also, she has reason to believe that her account information was compromised by a Sprint associate as after she had gone into a store for technical assistance, that's when the new lines on the account were opened. (they were open for the better part of a year, since she has her Sprint bill on auto-pay with her CC, and didn't really pay attention to the charges)

BrokeBob

• Valued Member
Re: AllianceOne for Sprint
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017 07:15:08 PM »
What are her goals?

If her goal is to avoid being sued, then continue the DV process, and she will probably never get sued, and if she does, she will have a great chance at winning the case.

Does Sprint have an arbitration agreement?

fg2000

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017 07:18:49 PM »
What are her goals?

If her goal is to avoid being sued, then continue the DV process, and she will probably never get sued, and if she does, she will have a great chance at winning the case.

Does Sprint have an arbitration agreement?

She wants to avoid getting sued, but she also wants Sprint to pay for their incompetence.

And, according to Sprint's T&Cs, JAMS is the preferred arbitration body.

fisthardcheese

• Valued Member
  • They forced arbitration into your contract. Use it
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017 07:49:48 PM »
Sprint responds rather quickly to avoid arbitration.  I would have filed arb against them long ago.  I never allow an issue with Sprint or any other similar service provider to get off the ground before I file in arbitration and squash it.

If this were me, I would file in JAMS against both Sprint and Alliance.  I would pull new copies of my credit report to see if Alliance is reporting this to the CRAs.  If so, I would send a dispute to the CRAs.

If Sprint holds true to their pattern, they will have someone from "account executive" dept contact you within 30 days of your arbitration filing.  This person is simply a glorified customer service rep.  I would not spend a lot of time going back and forth with this person. If they do not give in to my demands on completely correcting my account and refunding any late fees, reconnect fees, payments made over what my proper monthly payment should be and removing fraudulent charges, then I would just let them know I will proceed with JAMS and hang up.
11 Arb Settlements (9 AAA, 2 JAMS)
3 JDB Suits Dismissed With Prejudice (2 pro-se, 1 consumer atty)
3 TCPA Settlements (2 pro-se, 1 consumer atty)
2 FCRA Settlements (consumer atty)
1 FDCPA Settlement (w consumer atty)
1 Small Claims Win (pro-se; Landlord/state consumer law violations)
1 State UDAP Settlement (ITS)
1 Federal PTC Settlement (before hearing; pro-se)

fg2000

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017 08:16:39 PM »
Argh, Sprint had changed their T&Cs in 11/2016 to change from JAMS to AAA Commercial.

Is it possible to get that changed to AAA Consumer?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017 08:23:01 PM by fg2000 »

fisthardcheese

• Valued Member
  • They forced arbitration into your contract. Use it
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017 11:41:18 AM »
I don't know where you see that, but their current agreement contains JAMS:

https://shop2.sprint.com/en/legal/os_general_terms_conditions_popup.shtml  Click on "general Terms and Conditions"
11 Arb Settlements (9 AAA, 2 JAMS)
3 JDB Suits Dismissed With Prejudice (2 pro-se, 1 consumer atty)
3 TCPA Settlements (2 pro-se, 1 consumer atty)
2 FCRA Settlements (consumer atty)
1 FDCPA Settlement (w consumer atty)
1 Small Claims Win (pro-se; Landlord/state consumer law violations)
1 State UDAP Settlement (ITS)
1 Federal PTC Settlement (before hearing; pro-se)

fg2000

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017 05:25:58 PM »
I was looking at their Standard Terms and Conditions, which shows AAA.

credit