Author Topic: Does FDCPA apply to "physical" weekend harrassment from a collector?  (Read 2681 times)

Clydesmom66

• Valued Member
Leave a little basket outside with a sign that says "put lawsuit papers here."

INCREDIBLY BAD idea considering the suit isn't for the OP.  If that makes the service legal then the relative has to deal with the fall out from the proper service because the OP accepted the summons. 
Be VERY careful following advice from the internet! What worked for someone with thousands of posts on a message board may not work for YOU in your state.  Consult a lawyer when ever possible.

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
INCREDIBLY BAD idea considering the suit isn't for the OP.  If that makes the service legal then the relative has to deal with the fall out from the proper service because the OP accepted the summons.

It was a joke. I doubt they'd do it anyway.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

Flyingifr

• -DEAN EMERITUS-
  • Valued Member
  • Welcome to my Temper Tantrum

Not if the note is placed on a garbage can. Context means everything.
BTW-the Flyingifr Method does work. (quoted from Hannah on Infinite Credit, September 19, 2006)

I think of a telephone as a Debt Collector's crowbar. With such a device it is possible to pry one's mouth open wide enough to allow the insertion of a foot or two.

Debtors Exams are the perfect place for us Senior Citizens to show off our recently acquired Alzheimers.

Founder of the Credit Terrorist Training Camp (Debtorboards)

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
What's the difference, anyway? You can be served in most states by having the summons stuck in your back door. If they don't know where to serve the person they are looking for, that doesn't mean their service was perfected, or painless. Most states have laws against this type of activity, although prosecution is rare. You could be considered a consenting party if the sign is worded improperly. I believe most statutes require that they make their delivery in the front door, but I could be wrong.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

nobk4me

• Valued Member
I think it's time for the OP to go to the police and file a report on this.

I would have called the police after the first occurrence.

Something seems very fishy about this.
Molon labe

Judgment Proof!

CleaningUp

• Valued Member

Leave a little basket outside with a sign that says "put lawsuit papers here."

Works only in states that allow "nail and mail" service.

flaccito

• Valued Member
Update, the dude never came back. So much for the 72 hour time limit "threat" on the letter.

I'm hoping for an un-eventful weekend, because people randomly knocking on my door is so extremely rare..

I'm looking forward to cinco de Mayo  :drinking:

credit