Author Topic: Received an offer I can't refuse (I think)  (Read 746 times)

tutster

• Valued Member
Received an offer I can't refuse (I think)
« on: March 11, 2017 09:39:29 AM »
Hi All, I need some advice. I just received a great offer from a collections agency who is saying they are trying to collect money in regards to my old Citibank account. On the letter, It says Merchant: Citibank, Original creditor: Citibank, and lists my account number. They story is I have a 9 year old judgement which is soon to expire(2 months) which was given to a collection agency back in 2007 that sued me on behalf of Citibank. It's been so long that it appears my debt has gone through 2 or more collection agencies and a couple different lawyers.

My question is if I pay this bill which is clearly collections for Citibank since it has all my account information on it , does it negate the judgement I have on me and I no longer owe the money on it since Citibank is the original creditor?

On the bill/letter it says "your account will be considered paid in full after your payment is successfully posted" but mentions nothing about the judgment I have. should I call them and request they send me something that says "satisfaction of judgement" on it or is paying this bill fine since it is to settle the debt with Citibank which is the original creditor?

I wanted to wait the 2 months to see if the judgment expired but this offer is too good to pass up if it will satisfy the judgment against me. it's basically 15% of what I owe on the judgement and RIGHT on the cusp of where I said I would never pay over and instead file for bankruptcy.

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
Re: Received an offer I can't refuse (I think)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017 12:07:20 PM »
Make sure they give you a satisfaction of judgment along with the agreement. Get everything in writing.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

montag

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017 10:16:32 PM »
Agreed, remember the lawyers' cliché: If it's not written, it didn't happen.

kevinmanheim

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017 12:49:58 PM »
The ONLY way I would pay a judgment that old is through an attorney who represents the plaintiff.

I would not respond to the letter. Instead, I would wait 2+ months to see if they renew the judgment.

Check your state law on judgment renewal. Some are unusual, and allow renewal even after the judgment expires.

If the judgment expires and cannot be renewed, I would pay no one a dime.

If the judgment is renewed, or can be renewed in your state after it expires, I would contact the attorney who originally handled the case for the plaintiff. I would never, ever pay a debt this old based on nothing more than a letter.

tutster

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017 01:33:34 PM »
The ONLY way I would pay a judgment that old is through an attorney who represents the plaintiff.

I would not respond to the letter. Instead, I would wait 2+ months to see if they renew the judgment.

Check your state law on judgment renewal. Some are unusual, and allow renewal even after the judgment expires.

If the judgment expires and cannot be renewed, I would pay no one a dime.

If the judgment is renewed, or can be renewed in your state after it expires, I would contact the attorney who originally handled the case for the plaintiff. I would never, ever pay a debt this old based on nothing more than a letter.

Hi, yea I think I'm probably gonna wait now for a couple of months and see what happens. It's not actually just a letter though, it's like a bill/statement with info on how to pay online, and various payment methods. I don't wanna contact anyone though at the chance of being put on the radar though , so I'll probably wait since it doesn't mention anything about "satisfaction  of judgement".
Just says my account will be "settled in full".

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017 01:36:45 PM »
Oh, one of those. It it Northland or one of those? They get a piece if you pay. They don't sue people.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.