Author Topic: Can a Brokerage account be seized?  (Read 1257 times)

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
Re: Can a Brokerage account be seized?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017 04:19:02 PM »

It appears that you have this all well planned out.  You've covered all your bases...quitting your job, no money in the bank, below the federal poverty guidelines, and at the drop of a hat ready to file BK as no big deal.  Congratulations  :drinking:

Can homelessness be that far off?

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017 08:14:51 PM »
How much does a shopping cart cost these days?
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

tutster

• Valued Member
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017 10:52:22 PM »
You should have done the math before you quit. There is an amount below which they get nothing.

I was thinking about doing that. the sheriff left a form which you could fill out if you want to dispute the 25% garnishment for any reason.
only problem with that is I believe you have to meet with a judge or someone to determine your situation within 10 days if you fill out the form.

my judgement is supposed to expire in a couple of months so I thought it better for them to think that they never found me and not make a stink.
hopefully upping my chances that they don't renew the judgement. if I met for a review, they would surely find out and for sure renew the judgement.

I get the sense that they are in a last ditch effort mode to try to get something out of me so I'm expecting anything in the coming weeks.

tutster

• Valued Member
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017 10:55:35 PM »
How much does a shopping cart cost these days?

ROFLLLLL omg this made me laugh so hard  :vbrofl:

tutster

• Valued Member
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2017 11:12:47 PM »

Can homelessness be that far off?

things aren't always what they appear ;)

tutster

• Valued Member
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2017 11:27:41 PM »

so Collection Attorney's wouldn't have access to my tax returns right?

flaccito

• Valued Member
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017 12:19:41 AM »
Quote from: tutster
so Collection Attorney's wouldn't have access to my tax returns right?

I think they can if there's a judgment, i think it's called a "debtor's examination" or something like that.

Not sure about tax returns, but I do think they ask about assets, stuff like bank accounts, vehicles, property, etc.

tutster

• Valued Member
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2017 04:39:55 AM »
I think they can if there's a judgment, i think it's called a "debtor's examination" or something like that.

Not sure about tax returns, but I do think they ask about assets, stuff like bank accounts, vehicles, property, etc.

yea I know about the debtors examination. I was wondering if they can needle in my tax returns without me knowing. I think they're not supposed
to but was wondering if they pull shady stuff like that.

Clydesmom66

• Valued Member
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2017 04:56:47 AM »
yea I know about the debtors examination. I was wondering if they can needle in my tax returns without me knowing. I think they're not supposed to but was wondering if they pull shady stuff like that.

They would need a subpoena to get the tax records from the IRS.  You would have to be notified of the request for the subpoena so that you had the opportunity to oppose it.

The reality is if they feel you are deliberately hiding information from the court or concealing assets then they will ask the court to compel you to produce your tax returns.  If you refuse to do so they can and will get the subpoena no matter how much you object and the IRS will release the returns to the court. 
Be VERY careful following advice from the internet! What worked for someone with thousands of posts on a message board may not work for YOU in your state.  Consult a lawyer when ever possible.

tutster

• Valued Member
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017 08:33:56 AM »
They would need a subpoena to get the tax records from the IRS.  You would have to be notified of the request for the subpoena so that you had the opportunity to oppose it.

The reality is if they feel you are deliberately hiding information from the court or concealing assets then they will ask the court to compel you to produce your tax returns.  If you refuse to do so they can and will get the subpoena no matter how much you object and the IRS will release the returns to the court.

that's good to hear. since they have very little information on me and by now I'm sure realize I'm judgement proof, I doubt they'd bother.

Admin0248

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2017 06:34:48 PM »

things aren't always what they appear ;)

that's good to hear. since they have very little information on me and by now I'm sure realize I'm judgement proof, I doubt they'd bother.

Note to All:

You are reminded that the conventions for posting on Debtorboards can be found in any good style book on the English language.

We require posts to follow those conventions and do not see posting from a cell phone or mobile device as a reason or excuse for failure to comply with our Terms of Service.

This is not a matter for debate.  Cooperation is required.