Author Topic: Disputing Everything  (Read 2878 times)

Bobby12

• Valued Member
Re: Disputing Everything
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016 02:00:34 AM »
Ok, I've been putting this off for months but am ready to get started. As far as I can tell, there are no errors about the dates or amounts of money owed on my reports. I want to just pick the hardest thing to verify to dispute and dispute it anyway. What should I dispute and are there sample letters I can use?

I'm not sure that it matters what you dispute since eventually you will dispute all negatives on your report. Maybe take a few collection trade lines and a public record, if you have any, and a charge-off. If you have any collection accounts from the same CA, I would dispute all of them at the same time. Others may disagree but I'm just giving you my experience. If they try to bounce your dispute back as frivolous, challenge them on it. Tell them if they weren't reporting so much incorrect info, you wouldn't have to dispute so much. I hade a few CA's (old medical accts) that had multiple TL's. One of them had 21 separate TL's and I disputed them all at one time saying that none of them belonged to me and in one swoop all of them were deleted. This doesn't always happen. On a few others just like this, I had half deleted or all but one or two. You just have to keep disputing and keep good records. Listen to what Fisthardcheese said above about MOV letters.

As far as letters, keep it simple. There isn't a magic letter that gets deletions. Simply say something like "I received my report (include report #) from you and have found items that do not belong to me. Please remove them. Sincerely, Sillygoose. Then below the body list the items you want to dispute. That's all I did and have had a lot of success. In your second round of letters (the MOV letters), tell them that you are still disputing the accounts and you would like the method that they used to verify the accounts. Additional items will fall off with this.

I can't stress enough to keep good records: copies of everything you send, including the return postcards from your CMRRR's and everything they send to you. You may need it later for arbitration if you're willing to take it that far.

sillygoose

• Valued Member
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016 02:45:30 AM »
I'm not sure that it matters what you dispute since eventually you will dispute all negatives on your report. Maybe take a few collection trade lines and a public record, if you have any, and a charge-off.

Thanks for the reply. When I asked what to dispute, I was thinking in terms of specific things related to each individual account (balance, highest balance, dates, maybe say it was paid off or the account never existed etc). I was thinking maybe there was something that would be more difficult for a CA to produce the paperwork for instead of just a general denial... or maybe that's not a good idea because they'll just change some minor detail but leave the TL?

Clydesmom66

• Valued Member
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016 03:17:57 AM »
I was thinking maybe there was something that would be more difficult for a CA to produce the paperwork for instead of just a general denial... or maybe that's not a good idea because they'll just change some minor detail but leave the TL?

Your thinking is all wrong.  The CA does not have to produce one shred of paperwork to verify the trade line.  The bureaus will send an electronic communication to them through E-Oscar with a code stating you disputed their trade line.  They merely have to click one button that says "verified" and that is IT.  Even if you send a follow up letter asking for the method of verification after they validate it they don't have to produce documentation they only have to explain how they verified it by whom and what process.

I would start by disputing those trade lines that are oldest and may be likely that the CA no longer has the account and therefore cannot respond to the E-Oscar inquiry.
Be VERY careful following advice from the internet! What worked for someone with thousands of posts on a message board may not work for YOU in your state.  Consult a lawyer when ever possible.

silverzgirl

• Valued Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017 08:26:04 PM »
For me, disputing never worked. Even when I disputed two that were 1099C'ed, they came back "verified correct". With no real need for credit I just rode it out.

7 years later, one settled account dropped off at about 6.8 years, the remainder were gone a month after 7 years.

Then my score dropped (rebucketing, yay.)
“Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.”  - Sun-Tzu

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. I once thought I was a lawyer when I was litigating in a courtroom, but turns out I just had Patron induced bed spins and dreamed it all. Take my posts with a grain of salt...and a shot of Patron. But not so much you think you are a lawyer.