Author Topic: Experian offers free monthly reports and tightens arb clause  (Read 748 times)

fisthardcheese

• Valued Member
  • They forced arbitration into your contract. Use it
Experian offers free monthly reports and tightens arb clause
« on: December 06, 2016 10:29:49 AM »
Experian has started offering free monthly looks at your credit report online.  This can be handy if you want to just keep an eye on general things, but if you find any potential errors or have other issues - or even for your free annual FCRA report, I would still recommend a hard copy by mail to get the full details that are not all available from their online option.  To view your free report you must register through their website and every 30 days thereafter when you log on you can get an updated view of your report.

Experian has also tightened up their "FCRA carve out" in their terms of service for this new service.  Previously they claimed that arbitration did not apply to information contained in your "credit report", which according to the FCRA was not the same as your "credit file", which is where information is stored that you dispute the accuracy of.  They changed this to now say "consumer disclosure or report".  It still does not say file, but I believe using the "consumer disclosure" language will make it harder to claim your credit file is still open to arbitration.  Additionally, where previously they only talked about inaccuracies being the exception to arbitration, the new language says "...including but not limited to claims for alleged inaccuracies".  This will likely cover things like not properly responding to MOVs per the FCRA, which I previously argued should be allowed to arbitrate as it was not related to an inaccuracy related to any credit report.

I guess something must have made them look closer at the language in their own agreement and make some changes.  Hmmm. I wonder what ever that could have been?   :whackacow2:
11 Arb Settlements (9 AAA, 2 JAMS)
3 JDB Suits Dismissed With Prejudice (2 pro-se, 1 consumer atty)
3 TCPA Settlements (2 pro-se, 1 consumer atty)
2 FCRA Settlements (consumer atty)
1 FDCPA Settlement (w consumer atty)
1 Small Claims Win (pro-se; Landlord/state consumer law violations)
1 State UDAP Settlement (ITS)
1 Federal PTC Settlement (before hearing; pro-se)

HeadsUp

• Valued Member
  • judgment proof
Re: Experian offers free monthly reports and tightens arb clause
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016 04:40:59 PM »
So, how do you get the free monthly report?  I used to do that every month and they stopped from getting them every month.
Finally a collector admits it...

"The reality is that there are people who can't pay and the job of an agency in my opinion is to separate those who can and those who cant and to not waste resources and efforts on those who cant." -- Dr. Evil.

All this nonsense about aggressive judgment enforcement against someone with no assets is just that-- utter nonsense.

http://www.debtorboards.com/index.php?topic=13309.msg100303#msg100303

kevinmanheim

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016 05:49:57 PM »
You could always get your report for free by using the dispute process to pull a refreshed copy. Same with EQ or TU.

In this case, it seems EX realized that giving free access is better than losing business to Credit Karma and others. EX gives you the report for free, hoping you will purchase additional services while on the site. Scores, for example.

fisthardcheese

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016 07:18:23 PM »
You could always get your report for free by using the dispute process to pull a refreshed copy. Same with EQ or TU.

In this case, it seems EX realized that giving free access is better than losing business to Credit Karma and others. EX gives you the report for free, hoping you will purchase additional services while on the site. Scores, for example.

This is true and it is how I discovered that EX revamped their website and started offering free monthly reports.  I used to go to EX and order a copy of my full report per state law or per adverse action.  By doing this, I was able to get a PDF of my full report.  However, that option is now gone and if you want to "order your report", your only option is their new online version, which isn't a full report but that you can refresh every 30 days.  So, now if you want your free full copy due to adverse action or state law, it must be done by phone or mail.

kevinmanheim

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016 01:05:59 PM »
Use this link if you have a current EX report number -- https://www.experian.com/consumer/cac/InvalidateSession.do?code=CDF&intcmp=dispute_email_resultsready01

Enter your report number and other data.

Once verified, you will be given the option to view an updated copy of your report.

This option is good for 90 days after the report number is issued.

Before the 90 days is up, you can initiate a new dispute, obtain a new report number and repeat the same process.

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016 01:24:06 PM »
Why not just sign up and get the full benefit of the arb clause? You can always sue to get the fee back.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

fisthardcheese

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016 06:22:54 PM »
Why not just sign up and get the full benefit of the arb clause? You can always sue to get the fee back.

It's free to sign up and you will be a party to the arb clause by doing so; however, like I said in the OP, the new arb clause is virtually useless from a FCRA standpoint.

credit