Thanks to Flyingifr, BrunotheJDBKiller, howucantoo and other passionate members of this group.
I got approved for a auto loan at 7.8 % interest by wells fargo and bought a much needed minivan for our big family. An year or 2 back, I could not have imagined that I would be able to heal myself.
Kind of followed flyingifr method:
(1) First 2 years of Default: I literally went into a hiding, driven by situation with my job, health ..., did not DV any debt, did not respond to any phone call. Kind of depressing times. In this period - 2 of my huge debts fell of by itself
(2) Next 1 year: (a) JDB filed lawsuit for BoFa, arbitrated and settled for $0 which gave me a huge confidence boost (thanks kevin, Bruno ...)
(b) Filed arbitration with Cap one - another JDB for $500
got it removed
(c) Filed arbitration with Citi, never responded even after I paid the fee to JAMS
(d) Got new credit cards from Cap one - kept paying on time, credit score improved from 490 to 620 levels
Still have a long road ahead as I have other zombie debts which keep waking up from time to time.
All the while I have been super disciplined with my expenses which is a key factor
- bought refurbished phones
- my other car was a 2003 clunker which I maintain it myself, did all the servicing including spark plugs, air filters, trans oil, engine oil ... saving a ton of money
- cut down eating out to bare minimum, cut off movies and bought a $100 project to watch movies at home ...
I would really thank this board for providing support during my rehab, still recovering but a moment of reflection on how many lives you have changed from getting into desperation.