Author Topic: Best Out of State or Internet Banks for a Judgement Debtor in New York?  (Read 2439 times)

NYCBroke

• Valued Member
Coltfan's idea of Bluebird is great. $0 service fee. Let's hope you haven't had any run ins with American Express like some members on this board. They are notorious for blacklisting people from all their products.

If you aren't in Chex or EWS there are plenty of out-of-state banks that will take your money. Look around.

If you are in Chex or EWS, look to the a prepaid debit card.

I actually did apply and was approved for Bluebird. Waiting for the card in the mail. Only problem is the limits on deposits and withdrawals. Very restrictive. Deposits through the mobile ap are limited to $2000.00 per day. So no checks larger then that . Plus there is a 6 day hold. A large check over $2000.00 you have to mail in, and its a 2 week hold! Yikes. Getting the money out is not so easy either. $750 per day via ATM. and checks needs to be pre-approved by phone. The bill pay feature seems better since most are done via ACH

Flyingifr

• -DEAN EMERITUS-
  • Valued Member
  • Welcome to my Temper Tantrum
I actually did apply and was approved for Bluebird. Waiting for the card in the mail. Only problem is the limits on deposits and withdrawals. Very restrictive. Deposits through the mobile ap are limited to $2000.00 per day. So no checks larger then that . Plus there is a 6 day hold. A large check over $2000.00 you have to mail in, and its a 2 week hold! Yikes. Getting the money out is not so easy either. $750 per day via ATM. and checks needs to be pre-approved by phone. The bill pay feature seems better since most are done via ACH

As opposed to Bank of Internet or just about any other Internet bank where you don't have these restrictions. The moral of this story is this - you have options. Besides Bank of Internet, another bank I like is Redneck Bank (www.redneckbank.com). Yes, it is a real brick and mortar bank that tries to make you feel like you are you are on Green Acres doing your banking in Pixley.

If you want your money to be hard for a Judgment Creditor to find, just make it hard to find.
BTW-the Flyingifr Method does work. (quoted from Hannah on Infinite Credit, September 19, 2006)

I think of a telephone as a Debt Collector's crowbar. With such a device it is possible to pry one's mouth open wide enough to allow the insertion of a foot or two.

Debtors Exams are the perfect place for us Senior Citizens to show off our recently acquired Alzheimers.

Founder of the Credit Terrorist Training Camp (Debtorboards)

NYCBroke

• Valued Member
As opposed to Bank of Internet or just about any other Internet bank where you don't have these restrictions. The moral of this story is this - you have options. Besides Bank of Internet, another bank I like is Redneck Bank (www.redneckbank.com). Yes, it is a real brick and mortar bank that tries to make you feel like you are you are on Green Acres doing your banking in Pixley.

If you want your money to be hard for a Judgment Creditor to find, just make it hard to find.

Thank you Fly!
I actually did apply to Bank of Internet yesterday. Was quickly approved. But I did notice a hard pull on my TU today which could lead to discovery of the account. Of course even if the funds there are discovered, it would require a domesticated judgement in the banks home state. Discover Bank seems to be another online bank. I'm not sure if they do a hard pull in their approval process.

But this brings up another issue that I haven't seen mentioned here very often. The restraining order served upon the debtor. I am in NY. About 20 years ago I remember my then wife who had some credit issues was served with an Information Subpoena and Restraining Order. In NY it seems to be one form, that basically forbids the transfer or sale of any property and cash.  This has me thinking about the debtor who is served with such, answered the subpoena truthfully about bank accounts, then the following day closes those accounts or spends the money.

Bruno the JDB Killer

• Valued Member
They can't stop you from paying your bills, can they? Like in advance? You're really overdoing this, any bank you apply to for an account will pull your credit. It's probably required by Homeland Security.  Just convert it to teller checks.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

CleaningUp

• Valued Member

...You're really overdoing this,...

If he didn't complain about it he's have little else to do.  This thread has be 98% whining on the OP's part.

NYCBroke

• Valued Member
They can't stop you from paying your bills, can they? Like in advance? You're really overdoing this, any bank you apply to for an account will pull your credit. It's probably required by Homeland Security.  Just convert it to teller checks.

Yea thats true.