Author Topic: PRA at it again with DV letter  (Read 1838 times)

Kento2121

• Valued Member
PRA at it again with DV letter
« on: May 04, 2016 01:01:28 AM »
I sent PRA a DV letter asking them to verify this debt that they are collecting on.  Some history here.  I had a cap 1 visa card back in 2010 and of course financial reasons I was unable to pay it so it went in to charge off.  Initially the OC (capital one) was reporting until they sold it to JDB (PRA,LLC) 03/25/2014. 

My issue is this was  $500 limit card and its now $655.  I want to see all the fees that was charge to this balance making it what it is now.  I specifically stated in my DV letter that I'm requesting original account level documentation including my card holders agreement for the year 2010, But no.... This was what they sent me instead (Please see attach file)

From the looks of it PRA doest not have proper documentation of this debt or don't want to ask Capital one for my credit card statements.  They just simply print out a piece of paper from their computer screen.  I will be sending off another letter again reminding them what proper verification is and if they play games again I will send them an ITS with the intent with the intent of suing.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016 02:06:22 AM by Kento2121 »

Clydesmom66

• Valued Member
Re: PRA at it again with DV letter
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016 03:11:09 AM »
I sent PRA a DV letter asking them to verify this debt that they are collecting on. 

2 issues.  First and foremost ALL they have to provide is the name/address of the original creditor and the amount they allege you owe.  PERIOD.  Regardless of what laundry list of documentation you demanded they do not have to provide it beyond the aforementioned information.  Second:  if you did not send the DV letter within the first 30 days if their initial contact with you they were free to ignore it.  So, if they provided the name/address and amount you owe despite that then they are not in violation of the FDCPA.

My issue is this was  $500 limit card and its now $655.  I want to see all the fees that was charge to this balance making it what it is now.  I specifically stated in my DV letter that I'm requesting original account level documentation including my card holders agreement for the year 2010, But no.... This was what they sent me instead (Please see attach file)

6 months of late fees and interest by Cap1 until charge off would easily equal another $155.  PRA is not required to provide you with original account level documentation of anything and what they sent you more than complies considering they bought the account in 2014 and you waited 2 years to DV them.

From the looks of it PRA doest not have proper documentation of this debt or don't want to ask Capital one for my credit card statements.  They just simply print out a piece of paper from their computer screen.  I will be sending off another letter again reminding them what proper verification is and if they play games again I will send them an ITS with the intent with the intent of suing.

And PRA is free to ignore your next letter or demands for documentation they don't have to provide unless they sue you.  You don't say what state you are in  but if the SOL to sue you has not expired then all you did was telegraph to PRA that you have no clue what the law(s) on collections involve and that they could easily steam roll you in court.
Be VERY careful following advice from the internet! What worked for someone with thousands of posts on a message board may not work for YOU in your state.  Consult a lawyer when ever possible.

Kento2121

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016 04:30:49 AM »
2 issues.  First and foremost ALL they have to provide is the name/address of the original creditor and the amount they allege you owe.  PERIOD.  Regardless of what laundry list of documentation you demanded they do not have to provide it beyond the aforementioned information.  Second:  if you did not send the DV letter within the first 30 days if their initial contact with you they were free to ignore it.  So, if they provided the name/address and amount you owe despite that then they are not in violation of the FDCPA.

6 months of late fees and interest by Cap1 until charge off would easily equal another $155.  PRA is not required to provide you with original account level documentation of anything and what they sent you more than complies considering they bought the account in 2014 and you waited 2 years to DV them.

And PRA is free to ignore your next letter or demands for documentation they don't have to provide unless they sue you.  You don't say what state you are in  but if the SOL to sue you has not expired then all you did was telegraph to PRA that you have no clue what the law(s) on collections involve and that they could easily steam roll you in court.

False

fisthardcheese

• Valued Member
  • They forced arbitration into your contract. Use it
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016 10:38:36 AM »
False

:vbrofl:

What's false is the sense of bravado for someone who spams the board with multiple threads on the exact same topic.

Clydesmom and I agree on very little, but everything she said here is 100% accurate.  It is almost word-for-word what howucantoo told you on your second, but identical thread too.  If I had replied first, I would have had the exact same response.  But I supposed all 3 of us are "false".

11 Arb Settlements (9 AAA, 2 JAMS)
3 JDB Suits Dismissed With Prejudice (2 pro-se, 1 consumer atty)
3 TCPA Settlements (2 pro-se, 1 consumer atty)
2 FCRA Settlements (consumer atty)
1 FDCPA Settlement (w consumer atty)
1 Small Claims Win (pro-se; Landlord/state consumer law violations)
1 State UDAP Settlement (ITS)
1 Federal PTC Settlement (before hearing; pro-se)

Kento2121

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016 11:11:28 AM »
:vbrofl:

What's false is the sense of bravado for someone who spams the board with multiple threads on the exact same topic.

Clydesmom and I agree on very little, but everything she said here is 100% accurate.  It is almost word-for-word what howucantoo told you on your second, but identical thread too.  If I had replied first, I would have had the exact same response.  But I supposed all 3 of us are "false".

For your information Im not spamming your board.  I was a simple mistake to one of the thread being incorrectly placed somewhere else and Also I have accepted you guys position and will listen since you all are the pros here :drinking: I will update the other thread on my position so nobody else thinks otherwise.

credit