Author Topic: Should I pay to get a copy of my CR, or should I go w/the free one?  (Read 956 times)

olywa

• Valued Member
It's been a while since I've done any CR rehab...but was wanting to start back down that path.

I know that it USED to be preached that it was always better to actually pay for a copy of your CR than to use the 'free' yearly copy provided via the annualcreditreport site...and was basically just curious if that's still the case.

The conventional wisdom used to be (3+ years ago, when I was more active in credit repair) that you were better off buying your report because that allowed you more leverage in FCRA/FDCPA disputes.....versus if you obtained your reports under the FACTA act, which severely limited your disputing rights & potential avenues of resolution.

What is the recommended way to obtain your reports in 2016?

ghost

• Valued Member
Re: Should I pay to get a copy of my CR, or should I go w/the free one?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016 01:17:49 AM »
None of the above. Cite adverse action and get a free report FTW .
Lets do this

montag

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016 06:30:10 PM »
Also consider Credit Karma. They offer credit reports from TransUnion and Experian.

cgoodwin

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016 06:58:18 PM »
The key if you want evidence for FCRA is get a paper copy in the mail.
If you think this is legal advise.......
ask yourself why I wasn't smart enough to avoid this myself?!?

kevinmanheim

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016 09:20:48 PM »
The key if you want evidence for FCRA is get a paper copy in the mail.
This.

Never use online reports or online disputes.

Get copies in the mail, send disputes via CMRRR.

When Experian sends you their form reply that you haven't provided enough info to allow them to dispute, file an arb against them in AAA. Demand they pay you for their lie.

olywa

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016 10:11:33 PM »
None of the above. Cite adverse action and get a free report FTW .

Ok...but I don't actually have any adverse decisions, at least in the last 90 days...can I still cite that as an issue?

I'm actually willing to pay for the reports, just wasn't sure which angle was better...paid vs free.

arnanda

• Valued Member
  • Take it or leave it.
Hi!  If you really want to pay, I would do it for the credit score. The report is free so it really makes no sense to pay for the report.  You can get your reports and scores free via Credit Karma, Credit Sesame and Quizzle. The paper copies are easy to request online or via phone.
TUN - 811/850 (07-07-2015). EQU - 811/850 (07-07-2015). EXP - 8111/850 (07-10-2015).
Abbreviations 1st Thread
Abbreviations 2nd Thread
Smurfy's Ease of Use

Bruno the JDB Killer

• Valued Member
You could also join one of the CRA's sites where there is a good arb agreement. It won't cost much, and it kills their argument that you are not a party to the agreement.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

credit