Author Topic: How to determine DOFD, in CreditKarma, or where?  (Read 2350 times)

Chalmers Johnson

• Valued Member
How to determine DOFD, in CreditKarma, or where?
« on: January 24, 2016 12:30:36 AM »
Hello all. I have some alleged small JDB accounts which should be about of SOL (in fact I have been told this on a call on a couple). I would like to know the Date of First Default to know for sure how to proceed. Is this available on Creditkarma? If not, where's the best place to go to get something (electronic?) from the CRAs?

Thanks in advance!

cgoodwin

• Valued Member
Re: How to determine DOFD, in CreditKarma, or where?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016 12:04:09 PM »
On CreditKarma, it does show the "Date of Last Payment."  I cannot attest to the accuracy, but if you want to get an idea of when a last payment was made as reported by the lender.

If you are needed the information court, order the paper copy of the credit report from one of the CRA's.
If you think this is legal advise.......
ask yourself why I wasn't smart enough to avoid this myself?!?

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016 01:58:31 PM »
Hello all. I have some alleged small JDB accounts which should be about of SOL (in fact I have been told this on a call on a couple). I would like to know the Date of First Default to know for sure how to proceed. Is this available on Creditkarma? If not, where's the best place to go to get something (electronic?) from the CRAs?

Thanks in advance!

Date of last payment may not be the date of default, unless it was less than the payment required. Default traditionally occurs on the date a payment is required but is not made.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016 03:07:59 PM by Bruno the JDB Killer »
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

cgoodwin

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016 02:55:37 PM »
Bruno is correct.  That is not the date of default.  But default is normally defined in the agreement.  Knowing the last payment date can help you calculate the default date.

Flyingifr

• -DEAN EMERITUS-
  • Valued Member
  • Welcome to my Temper Tantrum
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016 03:22:20 PM »
Credit Karma does not list nor know the DOFD - you would have to get that from the CRA directly. It should be on the copy you can get free at annualcreditreport.com
BTW-the Flyingifr Method does work. (quoted from Hannah on Infinite Credit, September 19, 2006)

I think of a telephone as a Debt Collector's crowbar. With such a device it is possible to pry one's mouth open wide enough to allow the insertion of a foot or two.

Debtors Exams are the perfect place for us Senior Citizens to show off our recently acquired Alzheimers.

Founder of the Credit Terrorist Training Camp (Debtorboards)

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016 06:33:32 PM »

Credit Karma does not list nor know the DOFD - you would have to get that from the CRA directly. It should be on the copy you can get free at annualcreditreport.com

And remember, what the CRA lists as the DOFD is ONLY what is reported to it.  It may or may not be accurate.

BellEbutton

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016 07:35:35 PM »
In regard to the SOL, are you referring to the SOL for collection or for credit reporting?

Chalmers Johnson

• Valued Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016 12:21:26 PM »
In regard to the SOL, are you referring to the SOL for collection or for credit reporting?

Good morning guys and thanks for the responses... I am referring to the SOL for both lawsuits (5 yrs. in mys state) and CRA reporting (7.5 yrs.?) I have been told (phone or in writing) on a couple of accounts that they are out of SOL and the JDB will not sue (again). I'm not arguing the point with them, but by my calculation it hadn't quite been that long.

In response to your question BellEButton, doesn't the same DOFD apply to both of these criteria?

I will followup at annualcreditreport.com to try and get this info, thanks again!

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016 01:07:54 PM »
Being sued depends strictly on when default occurred. Some states have tricky laws about this, like Texas. Most states follow the contract, which says the clock starts when you skip a payment.

Credit reporting is a bit different. They can report as soon as you default, or wait the 180 days after default and report when they charge it off.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

Chalmers Johnson

• Valued Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016 12:25:34 AM »
Thanks for the help. I've got my Experian CR up, and have a question or two:

• So, what I'm primarily looking at are these JDB accounts. These do not seem to have the DOFD, just an opened date from the time where they puchased it. On two of these, there is a corresponding OC entry which shows where the account first went into 30/60/90 etc,, and the dates match up.
  • On a third JDB account, there is a later opened date (I believe this is the 2nd JDB to own this), but I know the DOFD was about the same as the 1st 2. Also, there is no OC reference. Will they be able to report for 7+ years from their opened date which is 2 years later than the others?

Thanks again for your help!

BellEbutton

• Valued Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016 12:52:07 AM »

• So, what I'm primarily looking at are these JDB accounts. These do not seem to have the DOFD, just an opened date from the time where they puchased it. On two of these, there is a corresponding OC entry which shows where the account first went into 30/60/90 etc,, and the dates match up.
  • On a third JDB account, there is a later opened date (I believe this is the 2nd JDB to own this), but I know the DOFD was about the same as the 1st 2. Also, there is no OC reference. Will they be able to report for 7+ years from their opened date which is 2 years later than the others?

The "opened date" reported by the JDB is the date the account was opened in the JDB's files.   It has nothing to do with the DOFD provided by the OC.

Flyingifr

• -DEAN EMERITUS-
  • Valued Member
  • Welcome to my Temper Tantrum
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016 01:54:14 AM »

The only way you will be able to get the DOFD is to contact the CRA and ask when the TL comes off. Subtract 7.5 years and you have DOFD. Do this with all 3 CRA's - if one DOFD is significantly different from the other two you may have re-aging by the CRA. If all three are different from your records and/or recollection you may have re-aging by the JDB.
BTW-the Flyingifr Method does work. (quoted from Hannah on Infinite Credit, September 19, 2006)

I think of a telephone as a Debt Collector's crowbar. With such a device it is possible to pry one's mouth open wide enough to allow the insertion of a foot or two.

Debtors Exams are the perfect place for us Senior Citizens to show off our recently acquired Alzheimers.

Founder of the Credit Terrorist Training Camp (Debtorboards)

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016 02:48:57 PM »
Do you know when you stopped paying? Order your bank records for that year and find the date you last sent a payment. Add 30 days and that should be your DOFD. It's probably going to match up to the 30 day late date.

cgoodwin

• Valued Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016 05:25:31 PM »
So again:

On CreditKarma, it does show the "Date of Last Payment."  I cannot attest to the accuracy, but if you want to get an idea of when a last payment was made as reported by the lender.

If you are needed the information court, order the paper copy of the credit report from one of the CRA's.

credit