Author Topic: Flat fee Refund  (Read 2372 times)

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
Re: Flat fee Refund
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015 02:03:18 PM »
Some states mandate an itemized invoice of services rendered by attorneys. The recourse in a situation like this is vey difficult. You might want to threaten to use social media such as Yelp to tell the public your story. Just make sure what you post is the truth and nothing but the truth.

I would not do this, you could wind up being sued for libel. Whether it is "true" or not hasn't been determined yet, and you don't want to be fighting this guy in court. Check your state bar association rules and see if they require a fee agreement or an itemized bill.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

cgoodwin

• Valued Member
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015 04:44:40 PM »
Some states mandate an itemized invoice of services rendered by attorneys. The recourse in a situation like this is vey difficult. You might want to threaten to use social media such as Yelp to tell the public your story. Just make sure what you post is the truth and nothing but the truth.

Threatening to do this for a refund is blackmail.

There is no crime in just doing it as long as it is true. You just cannot threaten to do it unless you are paid (refunded).
If you think this is legal advise.......
ask yourself why I wasn't smart enough to avoid this myself?!?

deepkimchee

• Valued Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015 06:12:58 PM »
Here's an example of a very effective bad review:  I was not happy with the way John So and So handled my case.   

That's all you really need to say.  There is a lot of competetion out there, no one wants to see that about themselves.

Blackmail? That's pushing it.  Go to Tripadvisor or Yelp, there are tons of unhappy customer reviews.  The common demoninator usually is the customer not getting their money's worth. I have heard of instances where it's the websites, that get sued, afterall they have the deeper pockets.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015 06:17:43 PM by deepkimchee »
I refuse to let a piece of paper intimidate me

My statements are educated/non-educated guesses, not legal advice

cgoodwin

• Valued Member
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015 12:42:18 AM »
Read my post again.  You can say whatever you want about the attorney, as long as it is true.  If it is false it could be libel. http://defamation.laws.com/defamation-laws/libel-vs-slander

But threatening to post a truth that is intended to coerce the recipient to take an action IS blackmail.

Blackmail is the crime of threatening to reveal embarrassing, disgraceful or damaging information about a person to the public, family, spouse or associates unless money is paid to purchase silence. It is a form of extortion. Because the information is usually substantially true, it is not revealing the information that is criminal, but demanding money to withhold it.
http://definitions.uslegal.com/b/blackmail/

Do not play this game with an attorney.  :soapbox:
If you think this is legal advise.......
ask yourself why I wasn't smart enough to avoid this myself?!?

credit