Author Topic: Sued by Cordoba & Associates on behalf of AMEX  (Read 29189 times)

fisthardcheese

• Valued Member
  • They forced arbitration into your contract. Use it
Re: Sued by Cordoba & Associates on behalf of AMEX
« Reply #420 on: April 20, 2017 10:26:21 PM »
I like the flat dencline.  JAMS rules prevails. If they don't like it, they are welcome to remove JAMS from consumer agreements.

Also, I enjoy how after everything else, this is where they are suddenly concerned with costs. Only when they need to spend 2 days away from work & family are they comcerned.
11 Arb Settlements (9 AAA, 2 JAMS)
3 JDB Suits Dismissed With Prejudice (2 pro-se, 1 consumer atty)
3 TCPA Settlements (2 pro-se, 1 consumer atty)
2 FCRA Settlements (consumer atty)
1 FDCPA Settlement (w consumer atty)
1 Small Claims Win (pro-se; Landlord/state consumer law violations)
1 State UDAP Settlement (ITS)
1 Federal PTC Settlement (before hearing; pro-se)

Jane007

• Valued Member
« Reply #421 on: April 20, 2017 10:42:06 PM »
The flat decline (with kindness) is good, but if it is fairly clear that they are going full bore to the appeal hearing end, it might be a chance to get some cash.

If the AMEX attorneys have the ATM Card & Pin for AMEX's bank account, and they have a chance to expend only half as much in airfare and lodging, they might be willing to share the ATM Card. Probably not, but maybe. It might have been fun to ask before the flat decline.

BrokeBob

• Valued Member
« Reply #422 on: April 21, 2017 12:32:12 AM »
I am just amazed that AMEX has not pulled the rug from under this law firm. I can only speculate that they are banking on getting money from me in the future somehow, as a judgement is good to collect on for 20 years ?

This is a strategy many OCs are using now.

When faced with arbitration blowing up in their faces, they have 3 possible strategies:

1.  Remove arbitration from the contract.  Some did this.  Others are willing to put up with the hassles to prevent class action suits.

2.  Fold like they used to.  This saves money on the particular case, BUT, they see places like DB spreading the word about arb, so they want to discourage people from arbitration, so

3.  Pay through the nose and go to the bitter end.  Pay many times the debt to get a judgment, even if it cannot be enforced.

The idea is by pursuing EVERY arbitration to the bitter end, they will somehow persuade us to stop arbitrating. 

Well, I have never lost an arb, but most of mine were in the days when they would just fold, and I also always had storng counterclaims. 

I personally would be willing to go to the bitter end just to make them pay through the nose to collect from me. 

stormgrey11

• Valued Member
« Reply #423 on: April 21, 2017 02:40:53 PM »

Pay through the nose and go to the bitter end.  Pay many times the debt to get a judgment, even if it cannot be enforced.

The idea is by pursuing EVERY arbitration to the bitter end, they will somehow persuade us to stop arbitrating. 

I personally would be willing to go to the bitter end just to make them pay through the nose to collect from me.

Sure seems crazy the amount of money AMEX is spending.

AMEX lawyer keeps having to move the hearing date and every time  I am on a conference call with three arbitrators billing at $500 an hour,  the AMEX lawyer  is pulling money out of the AMEX ATM !
I am leaving home without it !

Bruno the JDB Killer

• Valued Member
« Reply #424 on: April 21, 2017 03:40:42 PM »
JAMS is getting the 1500 per hour; the AMEX lawyer may be working on a flat salary. It seems like a lot of money to us, but we don't really know how much they spend on arb every year. Over all, it is probably an insignificant amount.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

BrokeBob

• Valued Member
« Reply #425 on: April 21, 2017 03:54:18 PM »
Exactly.

The profits these banks make are way in the billions.  A few arbs are pocket change. 

They have made a business decision that they are willing to play many times the value of a debt to collect the debt, as a way to discourage people from thinking they can get out of a debt with arbitration. 

This doesn't mean that ALL OCs will behave this way, but some will.

When I was using arb against OCs, the ones that went the longest were Amex and Discover. 

As I have mentioned, in both cases my negotiating power was increased by real violations and serious problems with the evidence.