Author Topic: Settlement letter years after judgement  (Read 1363 times)

fury1995

• Valued Member
Settlement letter years after judgement
« on: March 03, 2015 04:44:38 PM »
Hello, first post here.

I received (two) settlemt letters from the same agency representing FIA (BOA). These relate to two individual judgements from 2009. They are offering 60% of the balances as settlement in full (states the Client, BOA is s willing to accept this).

Background info. I am currently under court ordered Child Support garnishment (volentary) since 2004 and it still is in effect. The garnishment from my payroll takes the maximum percentage under law and it still does not cover the full amount. I know based on this, the judgement creditor would have to continue standing in line until the support garnishnment is no longer, however that will be a long long time to come. My State allows judgements to be renewed after 10 years for another 10 years.

The letter states:
"The terms of this settelement offer are final, and we have no obligation to renegotiate them at a later date"

Further, the letter states at the bottom:
"Please be advised no attorney with this office has personally reviewed the particular circumstances of your account in connection with the preparatin of this letter. For the purposes of this communication, our office is acting as a debt collector"

My question. I understand what the those two statements are meant to be, however based on my above circumstances do I have any reason to believe I could counter their offer anyway? If so, how would I go about this?

Disclaimer: I do understand these are judgements. I know they are recorded. They do appear as PR on my file. I did/do owe the money. Employement situation changed dramtically in 2009 and I chose to ensure my Child received his money over any creditor, therefor the agreement to volentary allow the Support garnishment I am not planning to buy anything, house car etc.. I do have reestablished credit. The tradelines are all but gone from reports aside from the PR's.

TomNTex

• Valued Member
Re: Settlement letter years after judgement
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015 10:14:36 PM »
If I recall correctly, since you are paying court ordered child support, they can't garnish your pay etc. until that time is past. Flying can correct me.

howucantoo

• Valued Member
I am not an attorney, just  type" A" personality.
If you need legal help, you should seek legal counsel.
My PM is turned off.

credit