Author Topic: Need attorney in California  (Read 717 times)

gregorya51

• Valued Member
Need attorney in California
« on: May 25, 2014 05:35:52 AM »
Hi everyone -

I was a real estate developer/ builder for 16 years.  In late 2007 my construction lenders failed, were taken over by the FDIC and my loans were called.  Unable to refinance in a declining market and with personal guarantees on millions I lost everything.  I have not looked at my credit report in a few years but I believe at this point in time what ever is on there (mostly credit card debt) is beyond the statute of limitation and so I am looking for an attorney licensed in Ca who can look at my credit report and rating and clean it up.  I am still in very poor financial condition and I am not looking to borrow any money at this time I just want the peace of mind of restoring my credit and I want to stop receiving letters from collection agencies.  Am I taking the wrong approach?  Feel free to share your thoughts or recommend an attorney
Thanks

maylaur

• Valued Member
  • I donated!!
Re: Need attorney in California
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014 08:01:11 PM »
I suggest you read all you can on this site about cleaning up your credit, specifically flyingIFR's Method.

You don't need to hire a lawyer to clean up your reports.  What you DO need to do is get yourself copies of those reports.  Annualcreditreport.com will allow you to get copes from all 3 for free once a year.  You can get them online, but it is recommended that you order paper copies instead.

When my husband and I frst tried to buy our house, I had a judgment and we both had several collections, putting our scores in the low- to mid-500s.  Within 5 months, our scores jumped to the low 700s after I used the information on this site to deal with them.

It takes patience and determination, but it can be done.
Anything I post is from my own personal experience, and might not apply to your own situation. 
I do not offer legal advice; for that, please consult a lawyer.

Bruno the JDB Killer

• BANNED
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014 08:11:27 PM »
First of all, the terms of service at Debtorboards  do not allow us to recommend attorneys. You can go to NACA.net and look for one in your area.

I would suggest you read the CA code, starting with section 335, which defines the statute of limitations. (SOL) We have no clue what kind of debts you have or what SOL may apply.

As for credit reports, if they report accurately, there isn't anything you can do to have it removed until it expires.

If you are receiving letters from collection agencies on expired debts, you can sue them.  If the debts are not expired, they can sue you. Again, we need a LOT more information than what you are posting.
I am not an attorney. Any information I post is strictly my opinion and should be treated as such.

fisthardcheese

• Valued Member
  • They forced arbitration into your contract. Use it
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014 08:56:59 PM »
Stopping those collection letters is the easiest part.   Check these threads for ways to respond to those letters:  http://www.debtorboards.com/index.php/board,18.0.html

Paying someone to repair your credit will get the same basic results you can achieve yourself for far cheaper.
11 Arb Settlements (9 AAA, 2 JAMS)
3 JDB Suits Dismissed With Prejudice (2 pro-se, 1 consumer atty)
3 TCPA Settlements (2 pro-se, 1 consumer atty)
2 FCRA Settlements (consumer atty)
1 FDCPA Settlement (w consumer atty)
1 Small Claims Win (pro-se; Landlord/state consumer law violations)
1 State UDAP Settlement (ITS)
1 Federal PTC Settlement (before hearing; pro-se)

gregorya51

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014 06:14:09 AM »
These are all great ideas and I will check them out.  Thanks

credit