Author Topic: Google Voice, not just good for recording phone calls from debt collectors  (Read 5101 times)

HeadsUp

• Valued Member
  • judgment proof
Just wanted to update this thread.  I uninstalled the old Talkatone app from my smartphone and then downloaded and installed their new version of the Talkatone app.

It no longer uses Google Voice for anything.

It gave me a new phone number, unfortunately, it is a Tucson area code, not a Phoenix area code.  But that's okay, because I just forward calls from my Google Voice number (with a Phoenix area code) to the new Tucson phone number, and I am happy to report that it now works again on wifi.

All incoming calls are free. 

All texts (incoming and outgoing) are free.

Outgoing calls are limited to 10 free minutes per month, or up to 20 free minutes per month if you link a Facebook account to the app, and a functioning phone number (Google Voice works fine for this purpose, by the way) to the app. 

After those 10 or 20 minutes, you can use Google Play to purchase 60 minutes at a time for 99 cents.  That's cheaper than Tracfone.  But the catch is that it only works on wifi, since without Tracfone my phone has no 3G.

Keep in mind, if you know the person you are calling, you might just send them a text message or an email, asking them to call you.  That way you don't use up any of your free minutes, because all incoming calls are free.  I would tell them to just call your Google Voice number and then forward it to the new phone number.  I won't ask my friends and relatives to learn a new phone number, especially a Tucson phone number.  That would be too confusing for them.
Finally a collector admits it...

"The reality is that there are people who can't pay and the job of an agency in my opinion is to separate those who can and those who cant and to not waste resources and efforts on those who cant." -- Dr. Evil.

All this nonsense about aggressive judgment enforcement against someone with no assets is just that-- utter nonsense.

http://www.debtorboards.com/index.php?topic=13309.msg100303#msg100303

HeadsUp

• Valued Member
  • judgment proof
Just another update to this thread.  I went on vacation and I went ahead a bought a Tracfone minutes, texts, and data card for my phone, so I had plenty of 3G data available in case I could not find WiFi at various places.  I then continued to use the Talkatone app on 3G, and WiFi when I could find it, and it worked very well for me.  It's overall, a very cheap way to go if you want pay as you go on a smartphone.  So, it ends up being about $7 per month, plus 2 cents per minute when you call out unless you are near a computer, then you can have Google Voice call your Talkatone number to call out and you can save the 2 cents per minute charge.

ALSO!  I found a way to record outgoing calls from Google Voice, but it requires going to the CallTrunk website, setting up a pay as you go account, and using it to place your phone call.  CallTrunk will call your phone number (I use my Google Voice number) and once you answer the phone, it calls the person you want to call and records the entire phone call, even the sound of the phone ringing. The person being called will see your Google Voice number.  Once the phone call is over, CallTrunk will send the mp3 of the call to your DropBox account and you can then download it.  It does cost 8 cents per minute, but I figure, I would only need it from time to time anyways. For example, if I called back a collection agency asking for their mailing address or their fax number, I might want to record the call because they speak so fast, etc.

"The reality is that there are people who can't pay and the job of an agency in my opinion is to separate those who can and those who cant and to not waste resources and efforts on those who cant." -- Dr. Evil.

All this nonsense about aggressive judgment enforcement against someone with no assets is just that-- utter nonsense.

HeadsUp

• Valued Member
  • judgment proof
Re: Google Voice, not just good for recording phone calls from debt collectors
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014 11:14:43 PM »
I have an update to this thread.

Google Hangouts seems to be replacing Google Voice, and is now offering free outbound calls to ordinary telephone numbers inside the United States and Canada.

This means you can call out (and receive calls) from your Google Hangouts app on your android phone using your old Google Voice phone number. 

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/google-hangouts-dials-up-free-outgoing-voice-calls-1265035

Iowe2much

• Valued Member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014 02:00:26 PM »
I guess it's time to update my Google Hangout app  ;D Almost deleted it as I had no need for it.

Iowe2much

• Valued Member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014 06:35:43 PM »
This means you can call out (and receive calls) from your Google Hangouts app on your android phone using your old Google Voice phone number. 

I think I up somehow. I can easily send SMS using my Google Voice # but when I place a call it shows my mobile # as outgoing phone # ? Cant find a way to delete my mobile # and just use my google voice #

HeadsUp

• Valued Member
  • judgment proof
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016 04:33:35 PM »
I just wanted to post an update to this thread.

I still have the same Google Voice phone number that I had way back then, and it still works great for free phone calls.  I stopped using Google Hangouts completely.  I use an android tablet, my home's wifi, and the free Google Voice app for androids, and the free Talkatone app for androids.  I open the Google Voice app and then to place a call, it calls my Talkatone number, I then answer the Talkatone app, and then Google Voice places the call to the person or business I wanted to call, so all they see is my Google Voice phone number and not the Talkatone number, which I give to no one. 

Then if someone calls me on my Google Voice number, it gets forwarded to my Talkatone app, and I answer it and talk to them, and if I press 4 on the android touch screen, it records their phone call perfectly on Google Voice.

And I haven't had a phone bill in many years.  It is a free phone as long as you have internet service.  I also use it on an android smartphone on wifi at businesses, or it can use data on my pay as you go smart phone, so it works fine for mobile phone use as well.  The data will cost you over time.  Lately, I completely dropped it, and just use wifi, since almost every major business has free wifi, I find that I rarely need to use data anyways, and it was costing me about $8 per month to keep data available on my android phone.

Anyways, if you're trying to get by cheap, this is about as low as you can go and still have internet available at home, which is almost essential in today's world.  As long as you have wifi available, you can have a free phone.

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016 05:58:56 PM »
How would the calling party know, Axxel, whether or not the GV account is being forwarded to the recipient's cell phone?

Please be specific.  And please site your legally authority for your analysis.

HeadsUp

• Valued Member
  • judgment proof
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016 08:38:36 PM »
Who's Axxel?

credit