Author Topic: Can a lawyer do this is illinois?  (Read 1272 times)

katieskaty24

• Valued Member
Can a lawyer do this is illinois?
« on: January 08, 2013 09:58:27 PM »
I lived with a friend and my now wife. Me and my wife were never on any contract and nothing was ever in writing.
The landlord told my friend that it was up to her to figure out who pays what. The agreement was that i would pay the utilities and my wife and friend would split the rent. My wife and i moved out and got sued for the back rent.
A judgement was placed against my wife for 325, her share of the rent. The judge found no judgement against me. He filed a motion for a new trial with the same case number and once again the judge found in my favor. He told the landlord that he could file a different complaint but not for the rent. Thelandlord told me he would file another complaint but nothing ever happened.
 Now that weve just about paid off my wifes judgement he is now saying that since i havent paid "my part" that he is going to sue me for it again. This landlord is also a lawyer so i dont know if that affects it to or no.
How many times can he sue me for this? When does it become harassment and how can i get him to stop?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013 10:09:48 PM by katieskaty24 »

Admin3496

• Administrator
Re: Can a lawyer do this is illinois?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013 10:02:56 PM »
It is requested that, when posting, one use basic writing skills. This includes paragraph breaks when appropriate.

A single strand of sentences make for difficult reading and may result in fewer responses from members.

cgoodwin

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013 10:49:48 AM »
If the judge found in your favor than the term is res judicata, the matter has already been judged. 

Check your paperwork from the first case. If it was dismissed with prejudice, game over you won, that means the judge ruled in your favor. If it was dismissed without prejudice, they may be able to get one more "bite at the apple", but that is it.
If you think this is legal advise.......
ask yourself why I wasn't smart enough to avoid this myself?!?

katieskaty24

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013 06:04:48 PM »
I never received any paper work from the case aside from when I got served with the initial lawsuit and the motion.
How many times can he take me back to court and when does it turn into harassment?
This will be something like eight times weve had to take off work and find a sitter and all that. Its getting pretty expensive and I think hes just trying to push me around since he is a lawyer.

BigSal

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013 08:09:44 PM »
I never received any paper work from the case aside from when I got served with the initial lawsuit and the motion.
How many times can he take me back to court and when does it turn into harassment?
This will be something like eight times weve had to take off work and find a sitter and all that. Its getting pretty expensive and I think hes just trying to push me around since he is a lawyer.

I would look at the old case files.
If you need legal advice, go see a lawyer.