Author Topic: Judgement & taxes  (Read 1781 times)

nomorecredit

• Valued Member
  • Broke but Happy, Poor but Kind, Short but Healthy!
Judgement & taxes
« on: September 14, 2012 12:22:22 AM »
If I had a judgment against me, how would that effect a tax return I receive with my spouse?

We usually file married/joint.  And I only work part-time for about $150/month, I'm basically a dependent.

Thanks for any insight.
There is no victory without a struggle.

E. Normis Debtor

• Valued Member
Re: Judgement & taxes
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012 12:39:57 AM »
A judgment creditor cannot garnish a federal tax return.  However, if you are having the return direct deposited, they can attach the account it's deposited in.

Some states allow for direct garnishment of state tax returns by judgment creditors.
I don't respond to PM's or emails for advice on specific circumstances.  My participation in this forum is general in nature, and not intended to create an attorney/client relationship.

nomorecredit

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012 03:12:53 AM »
A judgment creditor cannot garnish a federal tax return.  However, if you are having the return direct deposited, they can attach the account it's deposited in.

Some states allow for direct garnishment of state tax returns by judgment creditors.

I found this post on DB. 

http://debtorboards.com/index.php?topic=9011.0

Do you think it's out dated?

Flyingifr

• -DEAN EMERITUS-
  • Valued Member
  • Welcome to my Temper Tantrum
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012 10:18:24 AM »
That post is still relevant and so is the Making Yourself Judgment Proof thread it refers to.
BTW-the Flyingifr Method does work. (quoted from Hannah on Infinite Credit, September 19, 2006)

I think of a telephone as a Debt Collector's crowbar. With such a device it is possible to pry one's mouth open wide enough to allow the insertion of a foot or two.

Debtors Exams are the perfect place for us Senior Citizens to show off our recently acquired Alzheimers.

Founder of the Credit Terrorist Training Camp (Debtorboards)

E. Normis Debtor

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012 10:51:57 AM »
The post is still relevant, but discusses student loans.

When I indicated they can't garnish federal tax refunds, it was in reference to a judgment creditor for consumer credit debt, such as a credit card.  Perhaps I assumed too much of what your judgment represents.

Federal tax refunds can be garnished for such things as federally backed student loans, taxes, child support.  Things that fall into the classification "there's no way in the world you're going to get out of paying this".

I don't respond to PM's or emails for advice on specific circumstances.  My participation in this forum is general in nature, and not intended to create an attorney/client relationship.

nomorecredit

• Valued Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012 12:54:29 PM »
E. Normis,
I was speaking of a credit card judgement not a student loan.  Thanks for the help.

Flyingifr,
Thanks also I read the entire thread and it helps a whole bunch.

credit